EA Cancels Ultima X: Odyssey
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

EA Cancels Ultima X: Odyssey

Although it may not come as a surprise to many observers, EA has killed their MMORPG project 'Ultima X: Odyssey'. UXO was to run alongside Ultima Online and was intended as a semi spiritual successor to the Ultima single-player series but the signs have not been good since EA closed Origin Systems many months ago. Here's the announcement at the <a href="http://www.eagames.com/redesign/games/pccd/uxo/home.jsp" target="_blank">official site</a>:<blockquote><em>Dear Ultima X: Odyssey community members, <br> <br>As of today, development on Ultima X: Odyssey has ended. We feel that Ultima Online is where we need to focus our online efforts and most of my team will be moving to the UO expansion pack, the UO live team, and an unannounced Ultima Online project. Development on UO will be greatly enhanced as we consolidate our resources behind that franchise. <br> <br>This isn't an easy decision but it’s the right move for the future of all things Ultima, including the community and the team. We look forward to sharing our plans for the future of Ultima Online very soon. <br> <br>I would like to thank all of the Ultima X: Odyssey supporters who have been with us from the beginning. I hope you will continue to support the Ultima franchise and the development team as they transition to new projects. <br> <br>Thank you, <br>David "InQWis" Yee <br>Producer, Ultima X: Odyssey</em></blockquote>There's also an article at <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ultimaxodyssey/news_6101727.html" target="_blank">Gamespot</a> that provides a little background. Thanks, Amelia.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:49 am
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

News of this development can also be found at:

Dino's Page
Time Immortal
my Site
the Wayward Avatar
...and...
the Redemption forums

News travels fast.

WtFD
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:01 am

UltimaX being closed by EA is hardly surprising, no.

More interestingly: that pretty much leaves ultima@rpgdot following a bunch of remakes and hobby projects. Is that viable or will it threaten this corner of rpgdot's existence?

I certainly hope you guys here keep it up. I check ultima@rpgdot almost daily to see how the remakes and various projects are coming along.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:38 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I knew this was going to happen. I knew it!
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:03 am

*lol* pathetic...it has become a new fashion lately...lucasarts killing adventures and ea killing the second ultima title in 3 or 4 years...*gggg*

i wish someone would kill ea and give the ultima franchise to some good devs!
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:15 am

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I guess developers/publishers are finally realizing that the MMORPG is getting saturated. First Mythica, then TFLO, Warhammer Online and now UxO. IMHO, in the end, it'll be World Of Warcraft vs Everquest2, with other small MMORPGs picking up the scraps.

Too bad for UXO though, it thought it would be the 3rd best new MMORPG after WoW and EQ2. And it's definately better than EQ2 as it (like WoW) tries to do away with the leveling treadmill and allows single player gameplay. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay for 2 MMORPGs when WoW comes out later this year
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:35 am
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
UltimaX being closed by EA is hardly surprising, no.

More interestingly: that pretty much leaves ultima@rpgdot following a bunch of remakes and hobby projects. Is that viable or will it threaten this corner of rpgdot's existence?

I certainly hope you guys here keep it up. I check ultima@rpgdot almost daily to see how the remakes and various projects are coming along.

No of course not! We covered UXOm but UXO was far from our main purpose. Our main goal still is to cover new about anything Ultima, and we will keep doing so.

Im glad you like our site

Parc
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:55 am

good riddance!

No matter what they said, this was only going to put a further stain on the (once) proud Ultima legacy(like ALL MMORPG's would/do).

But this is great news.

Death! to all MMORPG's!

- nSCOURGE
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:23 pm

kwip
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sigh...

So I guess I won't be visiting Glimmer's End in beta...
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:28 pm
Test

No surprise there.. seems EA is hell bent on cancelling anything MMORPG, although I never paid much attention to UXO, didn't look that interesting.

I really wish Atriach would admit it's over and move on. Kinda silly to still see 'dev updates' for a game that never has a chance of seeing the light of day.

Next to be cancelled, Horizons, and Dragon Empires.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:05 pm

Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: EA Cancels Ultima X: Odyssey

quote:
Originally posted by EA
We feel that Ultima Online is where we need to focus our online efforts and most of my team will be moving to the UO expansion pack, the UO live team, and an unannounced Ultima Online project. Development on UO will be greatly enhanced as we consolidate our resources behind that franchise.

Well if this is true then imagine how much the development of UO would have been enhanced had they not wasted everyone's time (again) with a follow up that ended up never even being released. Maybe they can go for #3 and enhance UO even further with another cancellation!
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:40 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
good riddance!

No matter what they said, this was only going to put a further stain on the (once) proud Ultima legacy(like ALL MMORPG's would/do).

But this is great news.

Death! to all MMORPG's!

- nSCOURGE
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:00 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
No surprise there.. seems EA is hell bent on cancelling anything MMORPG, although I never paid much attention to UXO, didn't look that interesting.

That's pretty obvious after their failures with the MMORPG genre lately. The cancellation of UO2 before that, and the loss off Earth & Beyond, the Sims Online, and that racing online game (Motor City online? Can't remember the name ) really sealed the fate of UXO.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:53 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I feared this would happen
Too bad, UXO had my interest...
But more mmorpg's will follow I'm sure. Especially when WoW and EQ2 are comming out.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:25 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgarou
I guess developers/publishers are finally realizing that the MMORPG is getting saturated. First Mythica, then TFLO, Warhammer Online and now UxO. IMHO, in the end, it'll be World Of Warcraft vs Everquest2, with other small MMORPGs picking up the scraps.

Too bad for UXO though, it thought it would be the 3rd best new MMORPG after WoW and EQ2. And it's definately better than EQ2 as it (like WoW) tries to do away with the leveling treadmill and allows single player gameplay. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay for 2 MMORPGs when WoW comes out later this year

That is definately not the case. City of Heroes is still (and probably will continue to) riding pretty high, as far as I hear. Also ArenaNET's Guild Wars is looking pretty good, and that combined with the no monthly fee issues (or that's what I think) is going to bring it pretty high, too. So considering the on going success of recent titles (SWG, Lineage 2, CoH), and some doomed to succeed (GW, WoW), my opinion is that UXO didn't stand a chance, I am still wondering why SOE haven't cancelled EQ2, as that is definately the next big flop on the MMORPG market. SOE should have definately concentrated on upgrading the current EQ status rather than this sequel, which so far offers just some pretty new graphics, and EQ users dislike the ideq (or so I hear) considering the DX9 recent EQ flop.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:56 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next