I need a favor
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
TheAffiliate7
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I need a favor

I just finished Diablo II for the forever-th time, so I need advice on a good RPG to sink my fangs into, and I mean sink...

So, if you would kindly post your recommended so I can jump on the bandwagon away from reality...[/i]
Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:30 pm
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

Have u played Gothic? If no, am telling you it's one of the greatest RPG's ever.

And if yes, try morrowind, it's great..
Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:58 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

What are you waiting for.Run towards a store and buy gothic1 and gothic2.You'll be amazd fromt this games.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:03 am
TheAffiliate7
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*groan*

Didja read my post of "where's the style gone in games?"

Morrowind: please no... half the time is spent scrolling down your dinky dialog box. And if you get your back next to a wall it's too hard to see...

Gothic: I keep hearing 'bout how great Gothic is. To be honest, it's a love
hate realtionship for me. I bought it for $10 in a bargain bin and was all excited. It does have a pretty good storyline and the graphics put some "top-notch" FPS to shame. Also, it's pretty original in its interface. In the post-Black Isle world of RPG's, originality is good.

The combat system is what got me: I died at least twice on my way to the first town. The first time was my own fault: I loved the immersive world and went into the nearby goblin cave and was killed. I wasn't killed because I suck (well, that's debatable) I was killed because I swung my sword... and missed. When this repeated again and again, in conjunction with the swinging clubs of my opponents, I found my health at the deadly level of "0".

Restarting, I tried more stealthy tactics, hit-and-run attacks, if you will. This didn't work well either, because without a crosshair to aim at the midget goblins and wolves, I just fumbled over the controls as I was diced to a bloody pulp...

Believe me, I've tried to give this game a chance... I just haven't found something to help me with the fighting controls
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:11 am
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

Yea...do what patriot is saying...gothic is the greatest RPG...
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:12 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Since you enjoyed Diablo you might try Sacred
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:16 am
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

Or he can try "Age Of wonders" or "Robin Hood" or" Dungeon Siege" or "Never winter nights"
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:39 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I think you are right about the fighting style in gothic, the creatures you said that you died from, i also die from them(in the begening), i advics you to play it anoother time and this time use a bow to kill them, it is much better.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:18 am
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

the fighting system aint so bad once you get used to it and learn new moves. And the computer "locks" on one of your enemys, so you really dont need a crosshair and you shouldnt have much trouble.
The first 10mins i played gothic, i thought it sucked, but then suddenly i started to like the game.(probably cause i got used to the controls)
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:44 am
Wooper
City Guard
City Guard

If you want a Diablo like one... get Sacred.

Don't like it?

I don't care.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:24 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Divine Divinity, Sacred, Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Morrowind...
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:21 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Regarding Gothic, you shouldn't be trying to fight goblins and wolves at the beginning of the game. Even if you are hitting them correctly, your gear probably can't hurt them. At the start, your aim should be to avoid combat with all but the weakest creatures (eg, those things that look like bald ostriches), and even avoid that if the creatures are tightly grouped.

Forget about fighting, just go to the town and do some interacting. You'll find more interesting things to do than just hacking at beasts. And eventually your combat skills and gear will improve and you'll be able to go a-hunting and embark on combat-heavy quests.

quote:
*groan*

Didja read my post of "where's the style gone in games?"

Well, I did, but I don't see why you'd assume everyone who responds to this thread should have first read that thread.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:40 am
TheAffiliate7
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the help

I picked up Sacred, Wizardry 8 and I'll give Gothic II a fair chance if you all feel that it's worth it...
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:17 am
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

Try also Gothic1. you'll love it
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:21 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

But we already told him about gothic 1.(read the whole topic when you wanna post a reply)
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next