Members
Usergroups
Survival of the fittest?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Guest Dare

Survival of the fittest?!

I'm looking for help with surviving as a low hp Mage. Since I let the game pick my skills for me I'm stuck with unarmored being my only defense skill that isn't miscellaneous.
I gain 3 hp only per level and started with 30 hp so I get my butt whooped by pretty much anything and everything. 1 hit from most anything takes 1/3 to 1/2 of my health. Thank god for that cheezy paralyze for like a totally insignificant amount of time spell that I started with or I never would have made it to Balmora....
I can kill things really well from a distance with this fireball spell that I bought but that doesn't do me much good in most circumstances in dungeons and such where I get mobbed. I get beat down so fast I don't even have time to blink!

I even had trouble killing the cave rats in Balmora for that starter Fighter's guild quest!!!

And whats the deal with potions? I drink the thing and nothing happens... or at least not fast enough to save my butt so WTF is the point??
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:44 am

7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, create your own character/class combo

Breton/Sign of Atronarch = good fighter/great mage

or

High Elf/Sign or Atronarch = decent fighter/superior mage

IŽd anyway, regardless how much 'mage-like' your class should be, put at least one of heavy/medium/light armor and one of longblade/mace/axe etc. in my majors/minor of the custom class. Usually fighting skills go up perfectly on their own but this will help you at the very beginning.

Also, even you like to play a mage, put your creation bonus points in STR or INT and END. So you start out with 40 END and 40 STR min if possible.

Other choice could be Redguard with sign of the atronarch/sign of the lady. But you have a permanent lack of spellpoints, and those get soon much more valuable than hitpoints
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:52 am
Guest Dare

Thanks for the suggestions but I would really like to keep the character I have already rather than start all over.
If I started over I'd be too tempted to steal everything in sight and I've been extemely well behaved so far! Only stolen a few items that I needed to sell to get the cash to travel. I also took some things out of some crates that were in an alley but I didn't think anyone would really miss them ...
I figure if they left them in the alley they were probably 'throwing' them in the trash anyway.
I've been so good about not stealing that I didn't even help that guy in Seyda Neen collect Fargoth's hidden stash!!
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:25 am

Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

If you have a good alchemy skill buy ingredients and make heal potions,If you wish more hp then find a way to raise your endurance...Hope this isnt to much a spoiler,I used the old Shoulin fish catching training method to improve my armor skills.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:33 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Guest Dare, try training some of your skills. When you level first few times, make sure you get max multipliers possible. You can max out your strength multiplier by raising your Acrobatics by 10. You can max your Agility (which helps with Unarmed combat) by raising Sneaking by 10. You can max your Speed by fighting rats or scribs with Hand-to-Hand, Unarmed. You need to get 10 skill increases cumulative. As a mage you should also work on your Intelligence and Willpower. But those may be hard to max out if all your magic skills are major/minor. Point being is that, for the first few levels, you want to get at least 30 skill increases, of which you have at least 10 supporting the same attribute, for 3 separate attributes. That way, when you level, you will get 3 5x multipliers. In the beginning of the game that may make a lot of a difference. Find the post that describes how to train your skills within the framework of the game (i.e. how to go to the gim). Once you gain few levels that way, and you're sick and tired of monotonous training, go out and try your skills on some rats. See how it feels. If still too weak, go back to training, if just right, go exploring the world.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:44 pm
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The Jink sword and the bound dagger spell saved my war wizard's butt many times early in the game. In fact he is probably a better fighter than wizard right now.(the mentor's ring didn't hurt either)
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:56 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Mage Roleplay

If you want to play a mage - play a mage. You mentioned you are doing fighter's guild quests - why??? If you ARE a mage, you would NOT join the fighter's guild - it is for fighters (which you are not). Focus on mage guild quests (more than one guild will give quests). If you are going to be a thief/mage - join the thieve's guild as well. Pick a house to join and do that as well.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:20 pm
some guy

Mages are great. Running around like a ninny and throwing spells in desperation is good fun. It beats wading through dremora lords and yawning as you beat them down without a thought. Believe me, once you get to that point, you will relish the tough time you had.

Just make sure you rest after every battle and have a really strong touch spell (well, one of each kind; use fire against nords and frost/shock against dark elves). Try taking out some mudcrabs with hand to hand to build up your speed and unarmored so you can backpedal faster. I hear unarmored is a really handy thing to have at high levels though I haven't gotten there myself.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:08 am

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Unarmored

Unarmored is very nice. My first character was a fighter who I chose to make unarmored using a two handed weapon (thus no shield either). I finished around level 38 or so. The unarmored skill provided all the protection the character needed - it should be great for a mage who wishes to roleplay properly - just in robes (or blue jeans).
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:25 am
Rhys

Unarmored ain't bad!

I had my doubts about unarmored as well when I rolled up my healer/conjurer. While I relied heavily on conjured armor early in the game, by now with just unarmored skill going I can go toe-to-to bashing just about anything. With a mage's destructive power, you should be just fine once you level things up. Don't let 'em get too close, and you'll do just fine.

Don't worry about having a hard time at the beginning; eventually things will get so easy that you'll relish the challenge.

-->Rhys
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:53 am

some guy

btw, conjured (bound) armor is considered unarmored. So if you use bound armor, it will only improve your unarmored skill (which will improve your bound armor I believe). In the end, you could always enchant something with constant bound cuirass... but that makes the game even easier than it is.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:25 am