RPGDot Network    

Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why Gothic is Better than Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I count both games, Gothic and Morrowind, as best rpg's for ages, but, i do get bored to play Morrowind after few hours, don't get me wrong here i do like it still. When i started to play Gothic, i was so exited that i couldn't stop playing untill i was too tired to keep my eyes open, so my opininion is:
1. Gothic
2. Morrowind

I was going to put them in shared first place, but i was more addicted to Gothic than i am for Morrowind, but you must remember, it's just my opinion and others have different taste, so i don't see any purpose to argue about which is better, cause it depends what you like more.
*Just a matter of taste*
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:03 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

You're absolutely right... but I guess the forum is to see the views of other and their reasons fro liking one or another better

I see a lot of disdainful words for Morrowind on their forum too... but according to polls and sales charts I've seen, Morrowind is number 1. Gothic is waaaaay down.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:35 pm
HiveTyrant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well seeing how i own both games and love them both i tend to like Gothic more because in Morrowind i get lost and the world is a little big for my liking. In Gothic i had plenty of fun in the little world it had cause there wasa lot to do. But i have to admit Morrowind does have the ultimate cach of quests ive seen in anygame. Another thing is that Gothic runs fine in my low grade comp nad morrowind freezes every half and hour some i tend to get frustrated. But all in all they are two very great games.

-Holy Inquistion on the Tyranid threat
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:53 am

I don't know, haven't play morrowind yet but:

It's ok but it's more of a adventure game really (can I really roleplay? or am I forced to do so many things so many different ways, inconsistent?). Maybe I should have waited for gothic 2 where I hope they solved the problems: engine performance; interface problems and control problems: no quicksave/load!; the controls of the game are as weak as the ancient Tomb Raider! (that's how I can express it better) in responsiveness, etc; inventory system is plain simple ridiculous; slow engine(ram!), slow turning, slow talk (stoping, looking up slowly, say something, wait...)- it's an obstacle(s) and harm the imersiveness. And the npc are not so different from other games, they are also always doing the same thing, same place, say the same things, only that the diggers go to sleep! The music and voices are kms away from the quality of a baldur's gate. Some of the mistake are so basic and obvious, it's sad! One last thing, there are imbalances in the game,namely inicially, and in the combat. -Women?!>babes-
give me a damn new fallout (not the bugs please) or baldur's gate.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:01 pm

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
...And ALL THAT TEXT! Yeesh! I can pretend everythings fine if there was at least some voice-acting in there...

Some people prefer a good book and some can't find patience for anything but a quick movie. To each his own...
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:18 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

On one hand you have Gothic:

Background, you're tossed into a hostile colony. None of the colonists put up with your shit, if you walk into their hut, they're going to get pissed, and you're gonna get beat down.

NPC's have the illusion of life, they're busy:
*chatting with eachother
*eating/drinking
*cooking
*sitting around a camp fire
*taking a piss in the corner
*making weapons
*sharpening blades
*practicing melee movements
*playing the lute
*smoking swampweed
*mashing swamp weed
*picking swamp weed
*picking rice
*patroling areas (and telling you to get to your hut late at night cause they don't want trouble)
*fixing their huts
*practicing magic
*making potions

You have a hostile colony, full of creatures that are a true threat to the hero. You truely have to be careful what you fight, and you do not become a walking juggernaut until the game is basically over.

On the other hand you have Morrowind:

Background, you're sent to a "hostile" island. Life is supposed to be harsh, things aren't supposed to be "perfect". You walk all over the island, and at no point in your game do you ever fear death, you wander in and out of peoples homes, do whatever you want and face no wrath from anything in the game.

NPC's have the illusion of life, they're busy:
*Walking around making collision checks, and then changing to another random direction.
*Standing in the exact same place the entire length of the game.

WOW!

Then you have game size.

You have Gothic, a relatively "small" game when compared to Morrowind, yet it has more life and content than the entire island of Morrowind times 10. There is always something happening in Gothic, yet once you've played 10 hours of Morrowind, you've seen all there is to see except new textures used in different ways.

RPG's are all about the immersive quality, and Morrowind totally lacks everything vital in this catagory. The ability to "wander around an island" means squat when you've become an unstoppable machine of destruction after the first 20 hours. Freedom, ass loads of quests, island size, number of NPC's, enchanting/spell making/alchemy skills, number of races or class styles are insignificant since the game itself is one long, boring, visual splendor.

I guess it is true though, many people in the gaming community judge a game based on the graphics. Since Morrowind has uber high poly counts and pixel shaded water it has to be a cool game. Perhaps people are just kidding themselves, and they can't bear the fact that Morrowind actually sucks and they wasted $50 on a game with an editor nobody cares about (except the fanboys trying to clean up Bethesda's mess).
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:17 am
Sevej

I think Morroic or Gothwind would be excellent. But to be honest, I like gothic better, although morrowind is an excellent game. I'm looking forward seeing my friends on Gothic II. I played both for 100+ hours. But then again... I play all kind of stuff JKII, DS, Wolfenstein, BGs Like someone said, this is a good year for all of us!
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:21 am

Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

what is jk2?
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Jedi Knight II
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:46 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

It's strictly a FPS (first person shooter). But it introduces some very good lightsaber action. Very good story too... much improved from JK1.

Something no Star Wars fan should miss.

RPG fan on the other hand....
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:04 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

As a star wars fan...i have it!
Or am i just a game fan
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:22 pm
Fritobandito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I like both games!

Gothic has its great attention to detail in the actions of the npcs and awsome story line

Morrowind is a huge world that allows you to use your imagination.

They're very different games. Why not try comparing Morrowind to some of the MMORPGS out there? Morrowind has alot more depth than other games with monster huge worlds like Asherons Call or Everquest.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:40 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Cause Morrowind doesn't hold a candle to the interactive feeling that a MMORPG gives you. Gothic does a better job with an illusion of an immersive world, but even it isn't as "deep" as a MMORPG.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:52 pm
Fritobandito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

how so? because of the interaction with 'real' players in an mmorpg? hehe half the time in asherons call while out hunting or something, i wouldnt see ONE other player.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:58 pm
Fritobandito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

and in an mmorpg the roleplaying feel is totally ruined by the l33t sp33king retards prevalent in every one of them ive ever played.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next