Gothic very slow?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
AO
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic very slow?

I just got gothic, and it installed fine but it runs very slowly and the sound has long pauses before coming on, also the music cuts out frequently. I had to turn off the fog as it was just an off white screen. My system is a e-machines Pentium 3 1000mhz, 128 ram, with a Intel 82810E graphics controller, Direct X 7.0 and a AC'97 soundcard. Is there a reason for this that I'm mising? Thanks a lot
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:36 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Gothic is a RAM hog. You need a lot more than you have right now if you want any hope of enjoying the game.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

As Val said, you need more RAM.
Your i810 onboard graphics is for pure office use, it´s not up to the task. Every new GeForce or Radeon card out there is at least 10 times faster. Be careful, there is a certain risk that your mainboard doesn´t even have an AGP port to plug retail graphics cards in.
The sound problem is either a driver- or an overall performance problem.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:17 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the music pouses are cos there is not much ram and it saves half of those performans on HDD (/me had the same problems with my old pc) and yes indeed if u want that it runs very good u probably need to buy 256ram or even 512ram and some Gforce or Ati radeon series /me has Ati Radeon 9000 and it works fine
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:03 pm
AO
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow, thanks a lot. I usually only play older games, Baldur's Gate, is probably the newest. Does anyone know if my graphics card is even a 16MB Accelerator? And how much do the two graphics cards mentioned cost? Thanks very much.
Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:17 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If I were to guess, I'd say the card probably has a 4MB cache on it. Woefully inadequete for modern games.

You can pick up a GeForce 3 card that will handle todays games for very cheap now. The new GeForce 4s and Radeons have dropped the price of the GeForce 3. I picked up the Ti200 with 128MB DDR RAM for less than $100 last summer. It's a cheaper alternative if you don't want to fork over lots of money for a newer card which are more around $200 to $300.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

However, as Gorath said, make sure you have a slot on your motherboard for it.
Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:01 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

indeed cos if there is no AGP or is an integret agp then u need to buy a new motherboard
Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:13 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Or buy a PCI Graphic Card. It was what I did on my last computer before I got this one I have now.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:17 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Your integrated graphics controller is more likely to share the ram memory with the rest of the system, than having it's own; and keeping in mind that you only have 128 of it, it is no wonder why it goes slow.
But, when i played Gothic for the first time, I had only 128 Mb of ram as well. It is no obsticle to smooth gaming, but some tweaking is needed.
It is important that you reduce the visibility as low as you want to go, say 40%. It won't look lame, and you will be under constant impression there is a fog . If it doesn't bother you, it is one of the two ways to get your Gothic going faster. The next step is reducing texture quality, as it directly affects memory capture. This way, the virtual world is going to look very ugly, but if it is neccessary, then what's there to do...
You could try limiting the memory amount that your video controller takes through bios to a maximum of 8 or lower.

edit: As for the new card suggestion,.. If you don't have an agp slot (I think it came later with i815), than I would suggest a second-hand pci gcard, either a voodoo3 or some gf2 combination.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:17 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well at least u dont have a chipset Sis620 graphic card i had that and i really couldent play nothing hehe now i have a Ati Radeon 9000 but i think its a little bit buggy also cos sometimes it loads not correct the textures and they are more like error looking and sometimes the whole pc crashes so there is nothing to do only reset :\
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:36 pm
PrimeTime21Jr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, FINALLY someone asked this question.

I have been having the same problem with the game since I bought it. It resulted in my selling the game out of frustration. But there's something about that game that makes you wanna keep it, so I bought it back in hopes that MAYBE I can fix the problem by having more RAm and a better video card.

Well, from the looks of things, what I'm going to need is...

1. GeForce3 or 4 card.

2. About a minimum of 256 RAM.

Can someone let me know what kind of sound card I'm gonna need? And also let me know if I am wrong about anything I listed.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

With 1 GHz, 384 MB RAM and a GeForce 2 nonMX you´ll have a relatively fluent playing experience. 256 MB are only enough if you´re using Windows 98/SE/ME and your system is optimised for free RAM. The sound card isn´t that important. All mayor cards should be compatible.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:56 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

better buy 512 ram cos if u will like G1 then u probably will like G2 and hell yeah G2 needs more ram hehe
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:46 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

When I brought Gothic, I had celeron 500MHz, 384MB RAM, ATi Rage Pro (8MB). everything in Gothic was foggy, impossible to play. Upgraded graphics to a Geforce 2 Ti 64MB DDR, ran ok, bit slow at times tho. Now i got AthlonXP1800+ and 256MB RAM, it runs great!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:17 pm
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I played Gothic on a Emachines, but mine was a cellron. I had a 16 bit video card though so I had to put the graphics on minumin settings and the game was still laggy. However my devotion won me over in the end and I had the strength to finish it. Hardest game I ever played, graphics and speed wise, that is.

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:36 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next