What I want in the game....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

What I want in the game....

I played Gothic one for many many hours, infact i still go back to it between playing Morrowind cause i feel the need to have a linear storyline and actually see sitting npc's and see my weapons at my side. Anyways, there are a few things, that i think should be added in to Gothic II to make it a more realistic game. For instance, I want to keep hold of my torch and 1H sword at the same time. I mean what says that I can't hold a sword and torch together? Infact fighting with the torch and sword at the same time could be cool, kinda like a dual wield type of thing.... And secondly, I want to be able to loot armor. If I kill a guy I want to be able to take his armor and use it if I need some. But not if he's just knocked out, for then he would wake up naked and be quite pissed and then I'd have to kill him anyways. Just think...kill a guard, take his armor, and now your disquised so ppl think your a guard too...and now you can get into somplace you couldn't before. Like in G1 I always wished i could just take some guards armor and put it on, then Thorus and the others would think im a guard and let me into the castle. That way we would have more than one way to do stuff. I could be done with a simple script that npc's check to see if your wearing a certain armor, like in Morrowind, if your in the Legion and not wearing legion armor they wont talk to you, but if you wear it and aren't in the legion they will eventually get real angry and attack you when they realize your not a legion guard.

=Member of The Sixth House=
=Member of The Non-Flamer's Guild=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:54 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: What I want in the game....

quote:
Originally posted by Dreaga07
Like in G1 I always wished i could just take some guards armor and put it on, then Thorus and the others would think im a guard and let me into the castle.

Hmmm... There were what... 20 guards in the old camp? And Thorus personally approved every single one. And saw every single one every day of his existance. And all of a sudden one day Jones doesn't show up for his shift. And few hours later this Joe shows up in Jones' armor that just happens to have few sword holes in it and bunch of blood on it still... Hmm... I wonder if Thorus would just play dumb and let you in like you were one of them for many years...

Anyways, I do like the idea of looting being dependent upon the corpse you loot. If you loot the guard you should be able to get his armor and his weapon. But wearing it may be somewhat different story. Maybe like the ordinator armor in MW. If they see you wear it, they'll all attack you.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:57 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, the OC had around 90 guards (too lazy to count them ). Don't forget those in the Old Mine and Free Mine, and Orry and the other guy at the exchange place... and Pacho... and those two at the other entrance into orc lands...
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:01 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

you shouldn't have been able to masquerade as a heavy. you should be able to become a heavy guard. and thorus knows your name...well at least your face.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:27 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i also found myself wishing that i could loot the armor off of corpses. but, then again moondragon makes a good point when he points out the small size of the camps. every knows everyone in gothic. atleast it felt that way. i guess that i didn't mind not being able to take armor from the dead...maybe our hero has too much respect for the dead. how could he possibly leave his fellow captives naked and dead by the side of the road? maybe our hero is a samaritan in disguise, after all he did set out to free everyone in the camp.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:31 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Yeah... I thought not being able to steal their armour was pretty silly. but it was easy to overlook given al the other good points.

Well... if you steal a Guard's armour, then abviously guards are going to gang up and attack you! If your sneak/charm level is high enough... you might be able to get past most guards... except the top ones.

This feature would mean the armour, no matter how great, will be only good use against animal attacks and some small skirmishes...

On the other hand... if you're already a guard and you beat up a heavy armor guard... there's no reason why everything should be a-okay.

Leaving a guard naked? No. Don't they wear underwear?
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
maybe our hero is a samaritan in disguise, after all he did set out to free everyone in the camp.

He did?
I thought he set out to escape.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:56 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

yes he was trying to escape. but this required that he destroy the barrior, which meant freeing all the prisoners. i guess it depends on which camp you joined. if you were a new camp thug then the whole goal was to get rid of the barrior. the old camp just wanted to maintain the status quo. and the sect, well they just wanted to get high. by the way, do we know what our hero did to get himself thrown into the barrior in the first place?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:18 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

You will find out in G II, they say.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:20 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

good....maybe not

i don't know about you but i definatley didn't play as a 'good samaritain' i beat up just about everyone, and revived Mud so i could kill him over and over and over and over again. I laughed in Gomez's face when he laid there semi-concious right before i ran my blade through his slimy heart. I would have enjoyed being able to loot armor. And I definatly want to be able to keep hold of my torch when i pull out a 1h weapon. Like in the concept image at phirana bytes' site, called Player Vs Orc in the art section.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:06 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Yeah... I thought not being able to steal their armour was pretty silly. but it was easy to overlook given al the other good points.

I think it was more a gameplay issue than anything else. It probably made the game to easy to just mug a heavy guard and steal his armor. Plus, as someone aready stated, Thorus definitely would not have been fooled. There were only 500 people in the colony? That's not even the size of a small school, and I bet a man in Thorus' position knew every face in the colony. I think it was fine in Gothic I, actually it was fun because it was hard work to get some new armor, gave ya something to look forward to in the future. Concerning the "holding a torch and 1Hander" at the same time...it'll probably be in GII, don't see why not.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:36 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by The Hurricane
Concerning the "holding a torch and 1Hander" at the same time...it'll probably be in GII, don't see why not.

You sure about that? Hmmm...

Anyway, it IS silly not being able to do that. It's as though we don't know how to use the other hand when we're on a single handed weapon. I can't understand if we're using a bow or double handed sword we have to drop the torch... but single handed weapons as well?
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:16 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

You could always use light scrolls.
It would be good if your other hand is more usefull.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:22 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

or

yeah, you could use light scrolls if you have them, but torches are far mor abundant, finding them layin around, in chests, and on unconsious (or dead) victims. Light scrolls cost more money and aren't as abundant as a torch. And I just think it looks cooler to carry my torch around, and find it annoyin to have to pick it back up after I beat the snot outta someone...

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:38 am
Shoegazer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: What I want in the game....

quote:
Originally posted by Dreaga07
Like in G1 I always wished i could just take some guards armor and put it on, then Thorus and the others would think im a guard and let me into the castle. That way we would have more than one way to do stuff.

You didn't need to be a member of the OC or do the swampweed courier quest to get into the castle. I gained entry into the castle by simply using acrobatics to get past the gaurds. This can be a little tricky tho. You have to get as close as you can to the gate whenever they warn you the first time. After that, simply roll past the gaurds and keep on walking!

-Obiwan Kenobi-
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:23 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next