No
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Same here I keep forgetting this is RPGdot, and not the harsh politics boards I come here to escape! Ill try harder be more mellow and centrist around here

Come to think of it, I might feel the same way if I saw cats in little harnesses pulling carts full of coal and stuff ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:23 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

You're right, Sam, there are much worse abuses to get upset about. Women being abused at home and in the sex trade, for instances. Abuses committed by people who have narrow and unrealistic views of appropriate roles for women. Views promulgated and reinforced by the mass media, including games like this. The solution is education, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say that game developers have a responsibility to participate in that effort, it would sure be nice if they wanted to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

I realize I won't convince you or probably anybody else who doesn't already agree with me that this is a legitimate concern; I posted initially mainly because it seemed the thread needed a little balance -- nobody had made a strong argument for the case that Gothic is sexist. I'm still of the view that those folks who think it isn't sexist must think that no computer game (or other form of entertainment?) could possibly be sexist; they must also have a very different view than I do about what "sexist" means, but that is hardly surprising as it's hotly contested political territory.

Anyway I'm happy to leave it with the point that it seems we can agree on, namely that the devs could have done more with the women NPCs -- and look forward to seeing their evolution in the sequel.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:15 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

By the way, the next Tomb Raider will have a male protagonist in addition to Lara. They'll change from chapter to chapter. Sigh. I hate the guy's looks. He looks like one of those super-conceited super-cool snobbish skater dudes you sometimes meet. I dislike him already, even before I had chance to play the game...

@xSamhainx: In beat'em ups or MP shooters I tend to use male avatars because I find them to be way cooler to watch than the gals, with some exceptions (like UT2003's new Rylisa). But that's personal taste .

To get back on track, they might have done more with the female NPCs in GI, and they certainly did in GII.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:21 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

back 2 gothic, orry or some1 said that the women were convicted criminals as well and (forgive my ignorance/sterotypicalness) the main crime most women would have been guilty of would b prositution anyway so 2 b blunt they would b on their home turf there

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:24 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6