Titan Quest: Demo Now Available!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Titan Quest: Demo Now Available!

As expected, the Titan Quest demo has been released. Worthplaying was the first to send us a note and you can grab the 494Mb file from <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=34107" target="_blank">here</a>:<blockquote><em>Titan Quest is an action RPG set in the ancient mythical worlds of Greece and Egypt. With an arsenal of more than a thousand pieces of unique and legendary equipment, players will have to overcome terrifying monsters and mythical beasts in their quest to save humankind from the Titans. THQ has released a 2 mission demo, a level 6 cap, and 3 skill masteries.</em></blockquote>Other mirrors sent to us include <a href="http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=21557" target="_blank">GameGuru Mania</a> and <a href="http://dnet.3dgamers.com/promotions/titan_quest/demo/" target="_blank">3D Gamers</a> (thanks Henri).
Post Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Euro folks might also want to try Gamer's Hell. The fast NL mirror which is usually the best option is currently full but the UK mirror (the one with the 1000MBit line) is lightning fast, too. I'm currently downloading pretty much at full speed... under 1 minute to go and downloading at 690KB/s... God save the Queen .
Post Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 pm

awesome demo, gorgeous game. I got it from gamershell too, fast connection and no registration or subscribing for demos.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 10:09 pm

r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks a lot for the tip, Moriendor; I'm syphoning the demo off GH at this very moment. I've been looking forward to this one, I only hope it delivers...
Post Wed May 10, 2006 10:20 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Very enjoyable. Great graphics, fun like in the old Diablo days. Not a deep RPG by any stretch of the imagination and a few niggling things but, all in all? Terrific fun. I can't wait for the toolset and for the game's release at the end of June!

Kudos Iron Lore!
Post Wed May 10, 2006 10:56 pm
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have a problem with this one: I get an "unknown tag" text instead of *any* text in the game, including menus, inventory, etc.

Anyone else came across this snag? What could be causing it? I've got a fresh installation of Win XP Pro with SP2 and also have MS Office installed. I hope I don't need to re-install the game, for I've already deleted the .zip file.

EDIT: Disregard the above, I've already found the cure. The problem is that I've got a non-English XP. What a st00pid thing...
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Not sure. Everything is working fine here. Let's compare the file/folder data. My game installed to c:\program files\thq . When right-clicking and checking properties on this top level folder, it says...

- Size: 592,354,952 Bytes
- Size on disk: 592,465,920 Bytes
- 57 files, 9 folders

Same for you?
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:19 pm

Just played for an hour and a half its pretty terrible i didnt expect it to be this bad i guess they really meant it when it plays like "diablo in a greek/egpytian/china setting.

Its completly boring generic and stupid and i wont be getting the full version it plays exactly the same as Diablo same tedious crap gameplay its been heavily bastardized by Diablo.

First of all the graphics are nice but not that nice it runs bad in some parts and i got a 3ghz 1.5gb pc3200 ddr and a radeon 850xt 256mb ddr you have to play it on high antialaisin on low it looks pretty poor this is the first game where i have to turn it on.

The music is ok nothing special from the one and a half hours i played nothing amazing or memorable just typical greece type music.

Start off the game picking you're character you cant choose the female character and you start right there, there was no intro movie or anything just start and just click click crap away lol.

Works the same as diablo as well you fight monsters they drop some crap and chest tons of crap going flying all over the place the stuff is really small so its hard and frustrating to pick up specially if their are enemies around and you need to pick up a health potion so i have to always use ALT to highlight things.

The menu is confusing as well with the equipment because well the red hightlight is equipment you cant use but everything else is highlighted blue and looks the same with different names so its confusing reading threw every text on the pieces because they are all highlighted the same and look the same.

Same terrible npc and interactive wise as Diablo you got these generic looking villages or camps their isnt anything to explore you cant go into any houses or anything just talk to npc you keep clicking on them they keep telling you a bunch of useless crap there is caves you can go into but they are yep you guessed it same type of crap as Diablo but they are very short and can be cleaned out easily.

Quests are pretty much the same no backstory behind them just generic go into this cave kill some things and save a person magicly standing all the way at the end of the cave unhurt or go into a cave retrive an item damn this crap is getting old :/ Main quest isnt anything special either same crap as the sidequests pretty much (This is from the writer or whatever from Braveheart? haha)

There is also those teleport things you can go to any place you been to and also drop a teleport thing with you're stone also shrines out in the maps that will give you a little bonus its timed just like in Oblivion.

Out in the maps same type diablo mentality just keep clicking on hordes of enemies easily killing them with only a few clicks nothing interesting by exploring just large hordes and cheasts filled with crap.

The skills arent anything special either they are typical and we've seen them all before you can only choose 3 in the demo i chose Earth has Fire Based spells very small wimpy looking spells from a 2d game wasnt impressed at all.

So if you were expecting some amazing story with alot of amazing looking areas places to explore and uqiue npc's to interactive with this isnt it its the exact same tedious boring click click crapfest as Diablo so if you hated Diablo you'll hate this i love greek mythology but i hate diablo and so i hate this even if it is Greek Mythology (also Egypt and Chinese later but dont like those)

Also judgeing from what i played it looks like this wont have anything to do with the gods it will be quiet and boring like no interacting with them no talking to them or appearing for you and just you all that cool stuff kinda like on the hercules show another thing where you're doing all this crap and you dont get to see them just npc's talking about them and crappy items with their names on them.

Pretty funny though havent played enough but if the Titans are loose why arent the Gods fighting them they expect from human character to be able to fight off all these monsters and Titans lol.

Oh and also there is NO BLOOD none nothing you hit the enemies you hear smack noises but no blood no nothing lol.

So im pretty disapointed you got a click click boring diablo crapfest here so if you want a fun true rpg then wait for the witcher dont bother with this crap but if you have mentality problems and love to just click on things until you blow you're brains out then be my guest.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 pm

Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
So if you were expecting some amazing story with alot of amazing looking areas places to explore and uqiue npc's to interactive with this isnt it its the exact same tedious boring click click crapfest as Diablo so if you hated Diablo you'll hate this i love greek mythology but i hate diablo and so i hate this even if it is Greek Mythology (also Egypt and Chinese later but dont like those)

Um...this has ALWAYS been billed as an action-RPG which in developer parliance means, "Like Diablo." If YOU were expecting some amazing story with a lot of amazing looking areas to explore and unique npc's, you haven't been reading up on it much. Obviously, if you didn't like Diablo and if you missed all the allusions to it in all of the interviews thusfar, this isn't the game for you.

quote:
Also judgeing from what i played it looks like this wont have anything to do with the gods it will be quiet and boring like no interacting with them no talking to them or appearing for you and just you all that cool stuff kinda like on the hercules show another thing where you're doing all this crap and you dont get to see them just npc's talking about them and crappy items with their names on them.

Since when can you judge a final product by a 1 hour demo? The fact that there was no interaction or cutscenes involved in this demo is typical for a month-before-release demo. The developers have clearly indicated that there will be interaction between your character and the gods.

quote:
Oh and also there is NO BLOOD none nothing you hit the enemies you hear smack noises but no blood no nothing lol.

This was also heavily advertised in interviews up to this point.

quote:
So im pretty disapointed you got a click click boring diablo crapfest here so if you want a fun true rpg then wait for the witcher dont bother with this crap but if you have mentality problems and love to just click on things until you blow you're brains out then be my guest.

This is an ACTION-RPG, Diablo-clone. If you didn't know that before downloading, installing and playing the demo, shame on you and shame on this "review".

Oh...and as for not being able to choose a female character: You haven't played many demos before, have you? Various features are ALWAYS disabled in demos. Additionally, demos rarely follow the storyline as it will be in the final version. Often there are representative samples of areas, textures, creatures, etc. to give an idea of what will be included in the game. They are stitched together, sometimes poorly, but are purely for information.

Sheesh.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 pm

Its crap get over yourself obviously its an action rpg you twit but at least make it fun and enjoyable with a nice story unique characters not generic looking characters quests and areas because its a click and point action rpg doesnt mean it has to be a tedious piece of crap like diablo cant even enter buildings or anything talk about crap.

Fine example of a point and click rpg that has a nice story and beautiful music and i never got bored with and tons of spells was Vampire Masquerade Redemption.

Oh well if you like these generic type crapfest thats fine im not buying it its not even worth downloading lol.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Dhruin

I haven't had the time to check it out yet but you must be the only person expecting a "real" cRPG. Most of us expect a Diablo-inspired action/RPG, which seems to be what they delivered.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 11:46 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Its crap get over yourself obviously its an action rpg you twit but at least make it fun and enjoyable with a nice story unique characters not generic looking characters quests and areas because its a click and point action rpg doesnt mean it has to be a tedious piece of crap like diablo cant even enter buildings or anything talk about crap.

Fine example of a point and click rpg that has a nice story and beautiful music and i never got bored with and tons of spells was Vampire Masquerade Redemption.

Oh well if you like these generic type crapfest thats fine im not buying it its not even worth downloading lol.

Dude, I really think you should start to take happy pills and listen to this song for at least an hour every day before you come here and go off about how this is crap and that is crap and how everything in the world is crap.

You know what? I even mostly agree with you as far as Titan Quest is concerned but as Dhruin said if you were expecting a real RPG, you've downloaded the wrong freaking demo.

There are people who like this type of game for some reason. Just like some people actually like music from Michael Jackson. That doesn't mean you have to download a sample of MJ's latest single and then go on a music forum where the sample is discussed and tell everyone how crappy it is though.

You should figure out for yourself (by means of the demo) that this is just not the type of game for you, hit uninstall and move on to playing something else. It's that simple.

Doesn't mean you can't share your opinion about the demo at all. Of course you can. You can complain about bugs and glitches all day long but it makes zero sense to complain about stuff that isn't even supposed to be there in the first place. You're like the guy who buys a bottle of apple juice and then complains to the shop owner that it looks like whisky but that it didn't taste like it or make you drunk but that it tasted like apple juice and only gave you diarrhea instead. Surprise, surprise, huh?
Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:17 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, another "guest" that makes us ponder Professor Roqua's "one Priest4hire is worth a multitude of dummies" theory
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 am

I wasnt expecting anything amazing but i hoped it would be "fun" its not, its just boring after one hour and 30 minutes couldnt take it any more Diablo only lasted 20 minutes before i deleted that lol.

What do you mean dont take my words so seriously im in a normal mood thats the way i describe games if i dont like them i well let em have it if i do like em well then they only get good comments from me because people praise and say every game is amazing and great and its annoying so i point out the crapness.

Their are tons of games but 90% of them are crap and boring and im picky and arent easily impressed i'm 21 and i cant play alot of games because its the same crap over and over and boring.

But if for some reason its fun and i just like the feeling of the game i'll play it if it feelds dead and boring well it gets craped on by my superior crap

Oh and some one said you do interact with the Gods BUT are they actually speaking to you in their human god form visible and you can see them or is it just in you're mind or a statue talking wich has been done.

We need a game that you get to interact with the gods and they appear to you and you get to speak to them that would be awesome.

God of War they only talked to you in you're mind and statues i wanna see em.

Well you did see Ares but he was you're enemy and they didnt do a good job on him he looked kinda stupid orange fire hair
Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:39 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Well, another "guest" that makes us ponder Professor Roqua's "one Priest4hire is worth a multitude of dummies" theory

Exactly. Enough with this guest crap already. People should post with some accountability.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 5:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next