Is Dungeon Siege better or Diablo 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

Is Dungeon Siege better or Diablo 2

Which one do you think is better? For me, I choose Dugeon Siege. Not only is the graphic better, but the way of combat and control of inventory items as well.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:30 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

they're almost separate genres. diablo 2 is awesome. purely awesome. gameplay and storyline, excellent. of course, multiplayer couldn't have been better. bnet is like...the best multiplayer...thing...i've ever seen. graphics...well less than they shoulda been. character classes wasn't done all that good, and the party system seemed as though it was an afterthought.

whereas dungeon siege, while also awesome, had different strengths and weaknesses. gameplay was mediocre, and storyline seemed as though it wasn't necessary. why not just say "hey, heres a big world; go nuts!" the story was only a few steps above that. dungeon siege's multiplayer was a big fat rip off of bnet, only not as well done. graphics were excellent, and the classes and party system were amazing. of course, bg and it's variations are the masters of party systems, but dungeon siege is a close second.

over all, d2 is better in my opinion.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:56 am
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Before I say my opinion, i would like to point out that TheLonePaladin's picture is awesome.

I think DS is better also, it's not as easy to get bored with it. Sorry for the short response, gotta run.
Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:44 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
they're almost separate genres. diablo 2 is awesome. purely awesome. gameplay and storyline, excellent.

I've never played Diablo 2 but someone around here once said that D2 was just a hack-n-slash dungeon crawl with a simplistic story that could be summed up in about three sentences. That sounds about identical to DS.

I was trying to find the thread so I could quote the poster directly but I can't--it was quite a while ago. It was something to that effect anyway.

Whoever posted the comment on D2 step forward, ok? I don't mean to use your moves without giving you credit--I just gave up on the original thread.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:49 am
Roving Ché

Taken on the surface that comment is true. D2 hides plenty of depth that's not present in DS, or at least not in the places I hoped to find it.

I'm sure there are plenty of comparisons available to you without experience of either. Perhaps PS:T vs Daggerfall?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:19 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Did I just hear Diablo 2 and the word 'depth' used in the same sentance?

*Val falls off her chair laughing*

Last edited by Val on Thu May 09, 2002 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:46 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, compared to DS, Diablo II had real depths, especially better story .
I vote for Diablo II, though graphics are beyond compare.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:58 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I have never played DS but I have played Diablo2 heaps.
Whatever depth and story line diablo had was totally ruined by the party system. No one even played the game anymore. They just go strong people to quickly finish the game for them so they could get to the cow level to grow levels quickly. And then people just kept doing cows which was meaningless because everyone could get a level 80+ and getting to level 99 only took a couple of days. I remember the good old times when it was actually hard to get to level 99. Only a handful of people managed to do it out of hundred of thousands palyers. The only other thing left to do except for leveling was to find items and that became repeditive too. Killing meph a million times. Then came the dupes... Shall I say more.
I stopped playing diablo when the dupes came out but the good thing to come out of it is a found a game called Gothic to play and I havn't turned back.
I hear that there is going to be a new patch for diablo(vison1.10)
Its suppose to fix lots of problems accosiated with diablo.
There is also a new ladder character which can't play with normal characters.
So that means we will actaully have a proper game for a couple of weeks at least.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:10 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Did I just hear Diablo 2 and the word 'depth' used in the same sentance?

*Val falls off her chair laughing*

I join Val on the floor

D2 is fun...but DEEP?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:49 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, folks, compared to DS Diablo 2 WAS deep. And I mean, deep.

I tried to like DS, but the only real merit I found it to have is that you can play it with no problems while having 5 or six other programs running in the background (like Corel, Photoshop, two Internet Explorers, ICQ, Day of Defeat and YiM), and then switch it to the background without anything crashing (except for the DoD sound, but I'm used to playing deaf).

D2 wasn't that great in terms of gameplay, but DS is just plain boring. No storyline, no way to go astray, no challenges apart from trying to cram your party into an elevator and so on. I like the way they designed character development, and I like the graphics, but that's it. D2 had at least those great FMVs, and it had Tyrael and Tal Rasha .
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:31 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Jaz,

So am I to understand you do not recommend getting this game?

D2 only lives on my hard drive for those moments when I am totally fed up with stupid people and just need to spend a few hours mindlessly killing mindless things. Very theraputic (and seeing as how I have not killed my boss instead very good for my career...and yes this does mean my boss can be a stupid person).

DS would not fill this need? It is even *more* vacuous? I just want to double check. This game had been on my "Gee the graphics look kinda neat, today is a rainy day, and I am bored so lets get it" list. Should I take it off?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:41 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

My 3 cents:

DS is hack-n-slash with almost no story
D2 is ---------------""---------------------

The only things important in those games are: get to higher level, get better armour, get better weapon. Story is not important.

but I like DS more, why ? :

D2 has very lame graphics, even going back to its release day. Every character (conformed by my d2 maniac friends) has plenty of useless abilities. Noone sane develops them. Go to dungeons, kill as many monsters as you can, go back and so on. For me DS has got rid of most things I didn't like in D2 (simplified but well thought fighting system greatly done just for hack-n-slash type of game, "continuos" flasks, mules, good graphics (btw - pretty similar to Evil Islands, hve you noticed ?), larger world, no going back to old towns). And has great editor, so we can hopefully see some interesting new places, levels and mods very soon.
Also it has its annoyances, like ridiculously demanding 3d engine, lack of story (d2 isn't better here). And there's no that mood you can remember form titles like System Shock, Thief or Deus Ex.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:14 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

If you don't expect more than lots of hack and slash, Lintra, you might want to buy it. I know folks who liked it better than D2, I didn't, it's my personal opinion.

And ridiculously demanding 3D engine? I maxed nearly everything out (except for the enemy shadows) and yet I can run 6 quite demanding progs in the background (yes, Corel is VERY demanding). So it's good programming here. soltys is correct about the lack of mood, too... even D2 had a better mood than this game. If I had to choose again, I wouln't buy it. Not even for slight entertainment.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:25 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by soltys
My 3 cents:

DS is hack-n-slash with almost no story
D2 is ---------------""---------------------

I really can not agree with that. DS had no story at all, but D2 had story, linear without many surprises, but still very nice (at least for me). This story was told by NPCs and more than nice movies (They are still on of best "intros, outros, in game movies" for me).
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:44 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Jaz:

did you leave your programs in background doing something (not waitng for user input) ? If not, they shouldn't alter too much how DS works.

Anyway it's funny:
on my previous comp (p3 450, bx, 192 mb ram) and current (xp 1800+, 512 mb ram, nv nforce) there is no that difference increase I was expecting from DS. This game is supposed to be cpu limited by most means, but it looks like there're some ugly performance bugs regarding graphics. DS uses dx7 graphics (nice but nothing extraordinary, similar to Evil Islands) and it should run blazingly fast taking into account how this engine looks. Hopefully patch should sort it out (beta 1.09 is told to be released in public on friday).

Other games like avp2 work excellent (avp2 was unplayable on my last comp. currently it's perfectly playable with settings maxed out)

Danicek:

Ok, there's some story in D2. A little more than in DS (it still has some npcs and books in it), but only a little (well, you are to kill diablo and few less important monsters on your way and you know this since you start this game, npcs are mainly to give you quests).

Indeed, videos are done very well.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next