NO Starforce in Spellforce 2 in N. America @ Blue's News
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NO Starforce in Spellforce 2 in N. America @ Blue's News

Blue's News is reporting that Aspyr has sent word that while it comes with the recently released demo, Starforce copyright protection software will NOT be released with the full version release of Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars. <blockquote><em>Aspyr Media is responsible for publishing the North American release of Spellforce 2. We wanted everyone to know that Starforce will *not* be included in the retail release of this game. Starforce is being used in the demo in cooperation with the European publishers of the title, JoWood Productions. This is to help prevent reverse engineering that could lead to our product being put up on illegal software networks. We apologize for any inconveniences Starforce may have caused and would again like to reassure everyone that we have chosen alternative copy protection software for our final release product. Thank you for your interest in Spellforce 2!</em></blockquote> Thanks <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com" target="_blank">Blue's News</a> for the clarification!
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:32 am

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:32 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Execllent news for us in NA, sure hope JoWood is able to break away for all the EU and the East fans.
Lets hope these next 6 months frees Gothic from the treat of starforce, too.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:20 am

That's the reason why I never bought Gothic 2 gold (I do, however, own G1 and G2 regular).

If Gothic 3 has spellforce, I'm not installing it on my system. Period.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 am

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic II Gold doesn't use Starforce. You might want to reevaluate your decision.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:30 am

Nice for NA.

Hope they'll drop SF for Euro release too, else I'll pay a little extra (shipping+tax+etc) and import it from NA instead.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Dhruin is right, I bought Gothic 2 Gold and it has no starforce.
I agree with you, I would never again knowingly install starforce.
Gothic 2 Gold is a great deal at $20 US or less, so keep your eyes peeled for a copy.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:22 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Koch Media issued a statement today clarifying that the Euro SF2 will use the latest "keyless" Starforce. External tests initiated by Koch didnīt show a single case of incompatibilty which could be attributed to Starforce. They donīt see the need to switch to a "less effective" and "less comfortable" copy protection product "only for popularity reasons".

They also mention that Euroland will get a (= one) multi-language version. This probably means a DVD-only release.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:20 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Ahh well sad news thou for EU fans, thanks for the info Gorath.

Hopefully Koch Media will keep an open mind (certianly possible if they are testing) especially with Gothic 3 coming.
starforce's obvious contempt for games, fans, devs and pubs by posting links to thieft sites of bit torrent are very clear.
Personally and I am not clear on internatlional law but I am sure that violates every position any reputable pub would want to aviod.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:18 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, I would have to say, since I started researching these Starforce clowns and their prog in earnest a few days ago, I see why some people are so steadfast against anything affiliated with them and their hated malware progeny. I'm even growing quite leery myself, I cant say that after my annual reformat today that I'll be eager to let it back on my pc.

But Im glad that there will be Starforce-less edition, it looks like a great game, I had fun with the demo anyway. I'd hate to see alot of people miss out on it that would otherwise enjoy the game.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:35 pm
Barzenak-40

I want to pick up Gothic 2 gold but not with SF on it and Gothic 3 better not have it or my money will not go for it. I will not buy any starforce product...it may be thier IP but it is my PC.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:18 am