Anyone tried Mistmare?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
richycream
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anyone tried Mistmare?

It looks a lot like Arx in the screen shots. Just wondering how it compares and if it's worth getting. Arx is my first RPG except for FF7 for ps1 and I love it. I just bought Morrowind today since I see all you guys talk about it so much. I'm not going to install it until I finish Arx, which hopefully I'm getting close to doing.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:17 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Morrowind is a lot different than Arx. I didn't care for it as much, it lost my interest about 3/4 through and I never went back to it. If you are wanting something as much fun as Arx start with Gothic 1 and then get Gothic 2. I think they were both great and much bigger than Arx for sure. Lots of fun. I have not played Mistmare. But Neverwinter Nights is another good one. If you are just starting out you have a lot to choose from. Read the forums and try to find demos for them and see what you like. The hosted sites here at the dot will take you to where the demos are for some of the games. Or you should post in the game sites themselves if you think you want to try and you will get a lot more answers. I loved Arx and played it 9 times.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:41 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Mistmare want - i meant wasn't - well recieved by the press and somehow RPGDot didnt even bother to review it. i played through the demo and found the graphics and the world design impressive, but the controls uncomfortable and the dialogue unintresting and of poor quality. Somehow I missed the point of the game; didnt find out in what way I was supposed to have fun with it.

Gothic (I and II) is a good recomendation. Or Ultima Underworld, if you like Retro.

Parc
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-

Last edited by Parcival on Mon May 10, 2004 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:32 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Parcival
Mistmare want well recieved by the press and somehow RPGDot didnt even bother to review it.
Did you intend to say it 'wasn't' well received (my assumption). GameRankings has it ~30% from 21 reviews. SOme are pretty poor - like GameSpot's 17% 'Abysmal'.

Did anyone play it? Is it truly that bad?

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:16 pm
tygorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really enjoyed Morrowind. It has great outside environments. The water, trees, plants and haze are very cool. It seemed much less linear than Arx. There are so many different places to explore and paths to take that aren't related to the main quest. The character models aren't as good as some games and if you use everything at your disposal it may be too easy in someways at the end of the game but I found it to have great replay value. Both Arx and Morrowind are worthwhile games to play. Morrowind seems much larger to me than other games of this type and with the editor you can get in and play with the creature AI, and edit the terraine and create your own interior zones such as houses and tombs.
Post Thu May 13, 2004 2:30 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I was paging through CGM magazine this month and saw Mistmare listed ... 0/5 stars, and the summary was 'just throw your $20 in the street instead'.

I took the hint.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 14, 2004 6:00 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I borrowed Mistmare from a friend and tried it. Had alot of bugs and the controls was very bad. I did try it out for a good 6 hours before I quit.

My advice. Stay away from Mistmare.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 8:36 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I played Morrowind for a long time- the game of the year edition, and loved it. I since recently switched over to Arx, because in MW, I just got too powerful, and in Arx I'm a newb again, which is quite refreshing.
Both Morrowind and Arx are great, and similar in certain respects. --- SJ
Post Wed May 26, 2004 4:23 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

We didn't review Mistmare because the editor with the task couldn't stand the game so much he didn't want to play it.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:25 pm