Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Hero, from Gothic I to Gothic II (rambling)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Hero, from Gothic I to Gothic II (rambling)

When I first heard that we would be playing the same character in the sequel, I was a little skeptical. I was fearful they'd use the rather old and tired amnesia gimmick to power down the player, and sure enough they sort of did, though I admit it was logistically handled somewhat better than games usually do (but still, losing all your skills in a matter of weeks?).

I had hoped that we would either play an entirely new persona, or that the Hero's transition would be a little less predictable/overused. A scenario I had played out in my head was that Gothic II would start a good 10 years after the original game, and that the Hero had escaped/been rescued soon after defeating the Sleeper. With the barrier down, the convicts having dissipated, and the Orcs not being an overly immediate threat, the Hero would have been tired of conflict and set out to try and live a peaceful life. He could have sold his spoils from his adventures, and acquired enough funds to buy a small farm of his own. Over the next 10 years the Hero's fighting/magical skills would have degraded as he lived contentedly and peacefully while working the land.
However, immediately before Gothic II begins, the Orcish threat would have picked back up, threatening the kingdom (including the Hero's home), and the convicts of old could have banded together to protect themselves independantly of the King, which would essentially set roughly the same stage.

But still, I'm sure Gothic II will be very cool.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:30 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Re: The Hero, from Gothic I to Gothic II (rambling)

quote:
Originally posted by Velnias
When I first heard that we would be playing the same character in the sequel, I was a little skeptical. I was fearful they'd use the rather old and tired amnesia gimmick to power down the player, and sure enough they sort of did, though I admit it was logistically handled somewhat better than games usually do (but still, losing all your skills in a matter of weeks?).

Have you seen the Simpsons!? Look at that evil little, thin creature that is rich and think about this: How would you handle yourself in a cave were you can't drink, eat or move? Would you still have all your strength, dexterity and mana left? Would you have your skills left when you can't move? The only thing you can rely on is the armor that eventually would loose its magick and let you die. Would you think about keeping yourself in shape then? I personally would even try to take suicide just to skip this suffering and die faster.

This wasn't ment to be rude or anything, just think what you would have done.

And i agree with you that Gothic II looks like the game of the millenium!
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:45 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: The Hero, from Gothic I to Gothic II (rambling)

quote:
Originally posted by DzD

And i agree with you that Gothic II looks like the game of the millenium!

Nawwh. More like 'Series' of the Millenium!
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:57 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

The millenium is young. I certainly hope to see much better games by its end (not that I'd be around though)
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:59 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well no, i think it's rather nice to see the character back, you know him completely from Part one, you know what the guy is like {kinda}
so i think it's cool they continue with {unnamed} player

one more thing though, when we finally get to play gothic2, does it mean we have to do everything over again? i mean..is the player just like in the start of g1 unexperienced with everything? so when you hit creatures, it doesn't have much effect yet , well in short..you have to start all over again? that kinda concerns me...oh well..maybe just alittle

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:14 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yes, in the beginning of GII he'll be completely 'empty'... a tabula rasa so to say, for you to fill with content.
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:46 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
...one more thing though, when we finally get to play gothic2, does it mean we have to do everything over again? i mean..is the player just like in the start of g1 unexperienced with everything? so when you hit creatures, it doesn't have much effect yet , well in short..you have to start all over again? that kinda concerns me...oh well..maybe just alittle

We NEED to play a main character start from low level, if the character come with full skills, there won't be any funs anymore...
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:11 am
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
one more thing though, when we finally get to play gothic2, does it mean we have to do everything over again? i mean..is the player just like in the start of g1 unexperienced with everything? so when you hit creatures, it doesn't have much effect yet , well in short..you have to start all over again? that kinda concerns me...oh well..maybe just alittle

And that's why I tend to not like it when games pull the "amnesia" gimmick. Hell, sometimes the game's story doesn't even explain the regression of skills. At least Gothic 2 has a reason behind it, but for the sake of good story telling it's usually better to introduce a whole new character. You could still tell the same tale in it's grand scope, and just about anything is better than the amnesia gimmick.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:10 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I totally agree with you.
The Amnesia stunt has been pulled more then once.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:57 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyPaladin

The Amnesia stunt has been pulled more then once.
More then twice.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:09 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'm sure it has too, but I forget where!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:26 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Guys, those things always happen in sequel: bad guys ressureting from dead, main character back to square one, etc. Better not expecting too much originality in sequel...How about see some sequel in movie, how many is better than first one?.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:52 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
We NEED to play a main character start from low level, if the character come with full skills, there won't be any funs anymore...

*Exactly*. I never understood people that want to import your uber character from the last game into chapter 1 of the new game. If you can kick ass right out the box, you'll finish the whole game in a weekend. That sucks. Some of my most memorable moments in games come from the spots where Im stuck and have to change my way of thinking or pause or replay a scenario out 4/5 different ways in order to continue...whatever. To me, starting from scratch is the MOST fun part of the game.
ie: meeting up with Bullit after you've got your skills in place and you give him a taste of his own medicine. Classic.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:55 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Now there's some good points.
I'd hate to start the game with extreme abilities...
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:46 pm
Gerad
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

anyone here ever play a game called bladur's gate 2...

Theres an example of the a game where the character got to keep their skills and yet still challenging (VERY challening)

though I`ll admit gothic is a different type of game.

Yes the story for the character losing his skills is lame, and if the character is a mage why would being stuck in rumble make you forget how to use magic?????

anyway the first guy had a good idea for an explaination

heres mine very easy and I don`t think I`ve heard it used.

The gods did it!!!

the gods were angry at you for killing the sleeper and they took your power away. I think, well this a basic explaination but with a little more work this would be a good way to explain the character's loss of skills.
better then amensia at least.
Post Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:29 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next