Usergroups
Will you play online?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Will you play DS online, will ya download various MODs, or will you just play the core game?

Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:17 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

All of the above! In addition I plan on making mods for Dungeon Seige.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:50 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Just the mods.

The editor sounds powerful and there are some ambitious mods being planned (mainly Ultima remakes). The actual game (MP/SP) sounds awful, but if people can pull off what they plan for their mods I'll get the game then.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:05 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
The actual game (MP/SP) sounds awful,

You must not like very many games then

Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:16 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I will play mods...
I will not play on-line if it will be similar to Diablo on-line games (I do not like them).
What does it mean: "core game?".
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:40 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I think by 'core game' he means as it is out of the box, without mods or other additions (such as online play)

-v
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:09 am
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2002-03-27 11:16, Llama wrote:

You must not like very many games then

I like many games in many genres (general playing only the "best" in each).

No, DS just looks like a terrible game. It appears to play itself. The entire game revolves around holding the "player's" hand and reducing micromanagement to the point where there is no game.

I can't believe the game is being compared to Diablo. DS makes Diablo look increadibly complex and deep.

Like I said, Mods sound cool. DS out of the box could very well be the worst CRPG of 2002.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:01 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

How does it appear to play itself?

I'm curious as to just how much of an understanding you have about the game.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:13 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Mate, have you read the previews? Paricularly the interviews. Like the one in PC Gamer?

I wish I actually bought the magazine so I could quote you some stuff. It is seriously sad. Chris Taylor should stick to RTS games.

Every preview/interview I've read has one thing key in common: the entire design of the game is geared toward making it so streamlined that there is really nothing for the player to do.

If you've read the previews, and particularly that interview in PC Gamer, I think you'd know what I mean.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:52 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I guess we'll find out next week. I certainly think it looks fun, and I can think of far worse things to do with my time and money.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:07 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Mate, have you read the previews? Paricularly the interviews. Like the one in PC Gamer?

I've been following the game for about a year now, read everything I could possibly read on it that has been put online.

quote:
Every preview/interview I've read has one thing key in common: the entire design of the game is geared toward making it so streamlined that there is really nothing for the player to do.

I believe you're referring to the AI scripts that all the NPCs and PC have. You realize you can turn all those off right?

Here is a quote from Chris Taylor regarding combat, and how much control the player has.

quote:
Players can control as much of the action or as little as they engage in combat. For example, they can take the party into the presence of the enemy characters and simply allow them to fight it out, or explicitly give commands. It is also possible to pause the game and give the orders and then let play resume when done. We believe in providing a wide range of play options.

You can play it like the Baldur's Gate series or you can load up on AI scripts and just move your characters from town to town, dungeon to dungeon.

There are 3 difficulty levels and the previews I've read appear all to be using the "auto combat" style, and they have commented that the "hard" difficulty is impossible. I have a feeling if you took control of the whole party you'd be able to get through the game at that difficulty.

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2002-03-29 06:58 ]
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:56 pm