Usergroups
Similar games to Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
SpykiE83
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Since i enjoyed Gothic so much, i have been searching for other games that are similar to gothic or almost exactly the same in terms of gameplay and everything....does anyone know of any? thanks!

-=SPykiE=-

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:07 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

give Ultima Ascension a try. It is similar but that game WILL run choppy if you don't have a bad ass system with a voodoo card.
Also give Outcast a shot. The AI is very similar to that of Gothic and it has an amzing adventure feel to it that many games today don't have. It has a voxel based engine so you don't even need a graphics carsd to run it, but then again, the graphics aren't everybody's cup of tea. Maybe Omikron could be good for you as well, but who knows on that one because that's a love or hate kind of game IMHO.

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 5:51 am
SpykiE83
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey dude,
Yeah i have Omikron and Outcast allready....they're both alright, ihate the graphics in outcast though......i have a pretty good system so games run fine for me.

AMD T-Bird 1Ghz
FIC AZ-11 Mainboard
640mb PC-133 RAM
Visiontek Geforce 3
AOC Slot System Fan(right under Geforce 3)
Maxtor Diamond Max 40 15Gb 7200Rpm HD
Western Digital Caviar 2.4Gb 4500Rpm HD
Creative CDRW 8x-4x-32x
Creative 12x DVD
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Creative Modem Blaster! 56k
DirecPC Satellite Reciever Card
Wins ME
AMD Approved 400 Watt "Future Power" Power Supply
NEC Multisync XV 17+ Monitor

So i should have no prob running Ultima...thanks dude, ill have to check it out. later.

-=SpykiE=-

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:42 am

If you like this type of adventure game, there are others in the same settings. A quality game is BLADE OF DARKNESS. Gore, classes, immersive graphics... limited numbers of enemies but a great game none the less... If you like cheaper games but still good with the same setting.. there is die by the sword. Also there are other adventure games that are old and cheap and decent. Heretic 2, to name a few. And ofcourse you can always touch on the console port games like Metal Gear solid, though its a different setting.

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 8:40 am

great adventure game-- dark earth
one of the best
and in some ways similar to gothic, creating a beautiful and yet dark world
great storyline as well... i think that it's one of those rare games where almost all plot characters die
it's 2 cds
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 9:54 am

Darksharp
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

How about Drakan? I really liked that game even tho' it was RPG-lite and the ending is weak.
The fighting system is much more intuitive as is the interface. Plus the game still looks nice two years later. Some very cool Boss fights too.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:08 pm

Im my oppinion there is no game like Gothic, nothing this big and this good. Ultima IX was similar, but a huge part of the RPG element was missing. Outcast was better in my oppinion, but that was 100% adventure and no RPG at all. All the rest games mentioned here is definatly not like Gothic, perhaps good... but nothing like Gothic.

I actually think this game is very unique, its very much like real life RPGs. I just love this game and will finish it, for sure. Bugs or no bugs, this game is one of the best (if not THE best) RPG for any computer/console.

(the only thing that I think could come close would be Morrowind, but I even doubt it)
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:43 pm

Ultima 7 Black gate, most immersive game i've ever played
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 10:05 pm

Dr.Ghz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Omikron
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 10:57 pm

I hope that Morrowind will be just like Gothic
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:39 pm

redguard
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:37 am

evil Islands
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:15 pm

the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

die by the sword ?!?! lol..

i checked that game out a few years ago when it came.. the only good thing about that game is the deathmatch. and that sucks other than the fact you can actually wack off peoples arms and legs.. you can get you leg or arm wacked off as well.. and then you are forced to hop around or only use one hand...

haha.. its pretty funny.. but dont pay money for it.

if you want a true non-linear game.. check out daggerfall. you can find it for under $10 pretty much anywhere.. the game is old school 3d world with 2d animations for monsters and AI. but you can swing your weapon along with your mouse movement. to it rocks.

+ you lvl up according to what you do. example: killing monsters doesnt make you a faster runner or swimmer. you actaully have to run lots and swim lots to lvl up in those areas. and the more you swing your sword, the better and faster you get. so sit in a room for 5 hours and do nothing but swing your sword and youll get fast as hell at it. its pretty sweet.

i got into a healthy habbit of killing entire towns. guards carry the best equiptment.. and if you get good at scaling walls.. you can hop up on a house in town and bow&arrow some poor helpless souls. well.. atleast until the royal guard shows up with bows and arrows them selves... but hey.. its fun as hell.

and you are looking at a world with over 1000 cities. you can go anywhere you want any time you want. and you can do anything you want. ANYTHING YOU WANT!

you only have to hop on the storyline when you feel like it. and i had a friend that decided to do the story with his maxed out character.. he said even with a walkthrough it took him 50+ hours.

check it out. the game is sick!

daggerfall
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:30 pm
bronson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you love Gothic, then you must play Vampire: the Maquerade. It has excellent graphics and good story. It is also mutiplayer.

Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:16 am

Finally,,

Vampire: The Masquerade,
Similar immersion factor,
big cities,
convincing a.i.city dwellers,
more complex character control,
story is soso,
characters are perfect.
soundtracks hip pretty good.
and big...I mean the game spans like 600 years or something.
medieval/modern two games in one.
Just an overall likeness
to gothic and its graphics.
(creeping through black caves with
only a torch to light your way..I love that.)

Also check SUMMONER,
big world,
big cities,
lots of traveling on foot,
stealth,
twisted level design like gothic
(not flat but curvy,verticle,interesting landscapes, it handles far view distances great.)
earthy soundtrack ala homeworld.
interesting combat system, pausable
weak story but fun while it lasts.
(celestial samurai...nuff said)

Why not mention Soul Reaver,
A little more tomb raideresque but similar
to gothic also.
Combat system is complete mirror of gothics.
fight multiple foes by focusing on the enemy you want then circle him with ease. finishing blows, etc.
The world is small but like gothic or even
myst/riven you can explore it all from the start, though you wont have the ablities or even recognize potential puzzles till later.
you never die (immortal) and the game never loads thanks to a data streaming engine.
adventure on 2 seperate planes of existence.

....word.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 1:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next