Come ON, What's the deal?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
TypeONegative
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Come ON, What's the deal?

First something happens and I am attacked by everyone in the tavern. I run away and deal with the other parts of the game. Yes, Polsius signed my note earlier in game.

Then in town, out of NOWHERE I get guards screaming at me and chasing.

Finally, I am otw to rescue the little girl from cultists. I come across a troll being attacked by goblins, I help him, I obviously have the troll-friend necklace- yet he still attacks me.

I ended up having to massacre everyone in the tavern just so I could use the area, since I know of no other ways to repair faction. I had done nothing to anyone to have this happen.

I am about to restart the damned thing, but I wonder of anyone else has experienced this and figured ways around it. I like the game, but even if I restart I don't want to have to micro-manage every single move I make just so I am not kill-on-site to certain factions, that takes the fun out of the game. I know I didn't steal or attack anyone, that should be enough.

Also, why would it be set up in this manner so that soooo early in the game(when you are still learning the world) someone can basically make the whole rest of the game unplayable.

Suggestions welcome.
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:43 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

not as bad as yours....

I was attacked by the people in the tavern too.... I learned this: Only kill the ones that are actually coming at you with weapons, the tavern keeper (lady) does NOT attack you, so don't attack her. One other guy, looks like a jester, also does not attack you, don't attack him. They will both holler for the guards, but the guards don't care, as long as you haven't attacked the unarmed people. I believe the tavern people are cultists, remember the tavern lady saying, "Maybe after you are INITIATED?" thats a cult thing. If you killed all the tavern people, then thats why the guards attacked you, and if you killed the guards, thats probly why the trolls attacked you, or so i suspect. Hope that helps!
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:04 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Some info on this..

Well I ran into this situation as well. It's like all the Tavern people just suddenly go insane and start attacking you... and I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

For me, the bug seems to be triggered by using the gambling wheel. You can gamble and win only so many times before the pay-out guy gets disgusted and tells you he's 'had enough for the day.'

As you approach that threshold, the liklihood of the 'insane tavern' bug happening increases.

However, an anal and deliberate series of saves and checking if the tavern people are still friendly between each spin of the wheel, allowed me to win all that could be won at the gambling wheel without the tavern people going ape on me.

And for those of you that have proceeeded on with the game with the tavern people hating you, take note that the guy who runs the gambling wheel, when he says he's done for the day, walks out of the tavern and out of the level (he uses the stairway that goes to the goblin prison area).

I don't know if that's an important plot progression, but I feel better about having spent some time reloading and saving without the tavern people being upset with me... just in case the gambling wheel guy needs to be at some other place in the game 20 hours into gameplay from now... which he might not be if he's angry with you and stuck in the tavern.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:26 pm
TypeONegative
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Welp...

I restarted and micromanaged every facet. Everything was fine until suddenly otw to the temple the tavern folks attacked me again...

And I mean EVERYONE, including barmaid, jester...everyone. So I slaughter all of them again. I go into the temple and kill the demon, etc. and complete it.

I leave temple, get back to arx and the frigging guards attack me. I have no idea how I'm going to do this...Also after I saved Shany earlier and the mother tells you to take anything from her shop...well it still charged me, and twice at that.

The jeweller is NEVER open, I have tried a zillion times at all different times of day. I have like no money and every piece of jewelry I have ever gotten is still in my inv. waiting to be sold.

The guards at the outpost that was destroyed are still cool with me, we'll see how long that lasts...

I am not starting over. I will just see if I can do it by ganking every guard in arx..

::sigh::
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:00 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I FEEL your pain..

I know how it goes with a game you really like but gameplay weirdness is hindering your progress.

I would like to know of your success in being able to complete the game having had to play with your factions this way.

Anyone remember Ultima VII and the bug with Lord British's castle - it would sorta deteriorate making it impossible to go into a castle at a certain point.. and if you couldn't talk to Lord British in the castle, you couldn't progress the story... grrr that one drove me nuts.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:25 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I FEEL your pain..

I know how it goes with a game you really like but gameplay weirdness is hindering your progress.

I would like to know of your success in being able to complete the game having had to play with your factions this way.

Anyone remember Ultima VII and the bug with Lord British's castle - it would sorta deteriorate making it impossible to go into a castle at a certain point.. and if you couldn't talk to Lord British in the castle, you couldn't progress the story... grrr that one drove me nuts.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:56 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

still think...

That the taverners are cultists, the entry to the temple is in THEIR BAR! I've never been attacked by the barmaid or jester tho, they just run away... are you sure they attacked? and with what? Also, I read somewhere, that it is POSSIBLE to beat the game even if you kill everyone, which I find difficult to believe, but you never know... Now the jeweler opening, I believe that is a plot situation... You notice in the guard room in the castle, all the guards are sleeping? Time DOES NOT PASS in the game, its all plot point driven. When you advance the plot to the point when the guards all wake up and start guarding the castle again, I bet the jeweler will be open. Another for instance, the book you find before saving Shany? You could play for days, and still go to the snake statue, and they will just be showing up, even tho the book says tomorrow at 10:00 or some such. So sleeping and waiting won't do it, you gotta complete the next plot point.
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:31 am
TypeONegative
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok...

Just in case anyone is interested, I will post progress.

I killed every living inhabitant in Arx. It took awhile, and it bothered me having to kill shany's mother, but there was no way around it.

I would always just walk near and see what would happen...every single person attacked me, so I killed them all.

I purposely didn't enter the castle until I knew town was totally safe, since I hoped that maybe they were in another zone so they wouldn't attack..

I enter the castle and they all attacked me including the king and the snake chick. So I end up ganking everyone in the castle. Word to the wise;
For some reason the astrologer guy was hard as hell to kill, I mean he took some serious damage before he dropped.

Guilty pleasures through all of this was killing Gary and his big-mouthed busty fiance. Also smoking the jeweler who was never open was quite satisfying.

So my teleporters are set up 1-6 (I believe, maybe 5) at this point. Travel is not a problem, and I have great faction with the trolls this time. I also have no probs with the human guards at the outpost that had been attacked.

Weird thing is that the bandit chick just talks to me, she doesn't tell me to follow and I never get mugged. I don't know what I have to do to trigger this. Also, I have never seen 'the twins'. I have been to their camp and the water and earth gob camps, but no sign of the twins.

I dispelled the field and got to the front of the ylesid (sp?) bunker and immediately get killed by the wandering guard...I have tried to kill him a few but he seems WAY out of reach to me at this point. Any tips on killing them would be appreciated, but currently I think I need to find a place to level up some more.
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:45 am
mikey
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

LOL...good luck with the rest of the game?
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:19 am
georgon38
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Any tips on killing them would be appreciated, but currently I think I need to find a place to level up some more.

What quests have you finished so far?

Have you been to the dwarfs outpost yet, ot the crypt?
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:47 am
TypeONegative
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have to say...

I am really enjoying this game even though I have had my problems. I have beta tested many games and I have to say this one is very well done.

The last 2 games in this genre I really enjoyed were Blade of Darkness and Gothic, and this ranks up there close.

The graphics are great. The puzzles are very challenging. The AI is superb, and I have yet to have even a single technical problem or boot. Human nature being what it is, I will admit to occasionally (and instinctively)
trying to take advantage of pathing in a very tough fight...but to no avail.
Aside from the summoned demon in the temple, pathing has been superb.

I got a lot done today, completing quite a few sections. The issues with the faction attacks have not really hurt me that I have noticed, and I am truly looking forward to completing this finely made game.

Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:51 am
Kayweg
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Same here

For what it's worth, the same happened to me.
Suddenly everyone in that joint attacked me...Barmaid, Jester...the lot.
Also i only had gambled a few times upstairs (pretty dumb subgame anyway that...sorry), so i can't see how there could be a connection betwen the gambling and the crowd going hostile.
Hey, they probably just had too much of that cheap wine.
Well, at least the door to the jeweler is open now...not that i have the slightest clue how THAT happened.
All in all i think this game still needs some patches....the way they did the map part drives me nuts. If they'd at least enable us to add points to that map ourselves, it would certainly lessen the pain.

Kayweg
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:43 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bug Isolated ... will be fixed in next patch

In the Arx forums on the Jowood website, a developer posted that they nailed down the cause of this 'tavern bug.'

To avoid it, be sure you aren't carrying any cheese while you are inside the tavern.

What is happening is that a mouse is chasing after the cheese in your inventory (which it shouldnt do). This can cause the mouse to go behind the bar where Tizzy is standing (depending on where you are inside the tavern, including upstairs)... but the game counts it as if YOU went behind the bar.

So, in short, don't take cheese with you inside the tavern and you can avoid this bug completely.

Unfortunatley, the developers say that the patch that fixes this bug will not fix your tavern faction if you saved the game after already having triggered the bug.
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:59 am
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well for the one who'd like to fix this nasty bug before next patch so you can at least restart the game in a proper way in the next days, send me a mail to jroby@arkane-studios.com i'll send you a little file to fix the bug with tizzy.
But i repeat it prevents it from happening it doesn't fix it after it has happened.
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:05 am
Griffon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just got back from the temple, and all the guards in Arx are attacking me...

I only have 1 other save, and it is right before the temple, I tried redoing the temple and going to Arx, but the same thing. I haven't stolen anything except for something at the blacksmith awhile ago, but nobody noticed it.

So is my entire game now ruined? Is there some way to make them all act normal again?
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:27 am