Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ultima 8 - Pagan (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ultima 8

The problem with U8 wasn't so much about what the game offered, it was more about what it didn't offer.

There was a certain level of gameworld and object interaction present in Ultima VII and Ultima VII part II that just didn't exist - as well as some other features that were long-standing highlights in prior ultima games, such as having a party of characters and NPCs having schedules.

Because there were a good number of these classic ultima features that were missing, U8 just didn't 'feel' like a real ultima.

But that isn't to say that U8 was a bad game - I enjoyed it for what it had to offer.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:38 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I hope the remake will be good.

I also loved Ultima 8 and beat it many times. The good things about U8 in my point were:

- Cutscenes like execution, Pyros' summoning ( Ritual of Fire ) and especially duel of Mordea and Devon...
- Spells like a good "Flash" ( teleporting in flames ) and their effects...
- Sounds like the cracking thunder of the unique weapon "Slayer"...
- Lovely and sometimes creepy music...
- And Avatar's "Grandé Helmet" in the end cutscene which look a lot better than the one you had in the game.
- and some other...

Of course there were also things I hated:

- Not being able to cast water spells like the lovely water walk ( only one tempest is allowed )
- Guards with halberds poking at you...
- Sinking or moving jumping stones
- Bad character animations
- Very few NPC's ( and more NPCs die before and after Mordea vs. Devon )
- and some other...

I think the game would look much better in today's technology if done right, and Nwn module is the way to go now. I am especially awaiting those spell animations like flash, armor of flames, conflagration, destruction...Plus I want to see Beren blow me up when I am caught stealing or assaulting. We will wait and see...
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:16 pm
Ashpool

quote:
Originally posted by SirVincealot
Ultima VIII is one of the most atmospheric games I have played. The color scheme and music are so moody as to be eerie in places. And the meeting with Lithos... And Pyros' first appearance... The game is full of moments I still remember vividly, YEARS after the fact. U8 got a bad rap (make that a terrible rap) in light of U7 and the "legacy" set forth with U4 and on. I think it unrealistic to expect PAGAN should have been as good as BLACK GATE or SERPENT ISLE. Ten years and (I can only imagine how many) multiple times more processing power later, BALDUR'S GATE doesn't even come CLOSE to the brilliance of U7. Matter of fact, I am STILL waiting for a CRPG (any CRPG!) that can match (never mind beat) the depth of U7. Maybe MORROWIND...
<br>Regards
<br>SirVincealot

Bugger me have you played Planescape Torment then?
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:40 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2