Usergroups
Your tips for new alternative party
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I am preparing for my second walk trought world of Wizardry 8.
My first party was normal, classical:
fighter, valkyrie, mage, monk, ranger, bishop.
Now I would like to make somehow very different party. Have you some tips for alternative party?
Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:05 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Sure...

Make a party of 6 Lizardman mages..

Seriously, I'm working on my 2nd trip through...though I never really finished the first time! I keep thinking I'm going to come up with an uber party!!

Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:43 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Uber party? Do you mean uber in german = above, so do you mean 6 mages?

Do you mean it is really possible to go with such party?

Waiting for another tips .
Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:50 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I tried a party of nothing but Hobbits once. For a bunch of short people they weren't too bad.

Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:32 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I did hear of a guy doing all dwarves.. Sleepy, Dopey, Bashful, etc...

I really don't know..I haven't found a "great" party...so I can't be recommending alternative ones!!

Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 11:50 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Gadgeteers and bards are different in that they both have class-specific equipment that only they can use. Bards in Wiz7 were standard fare for every beginner, because they started out with a lute that put most of the opponents to sleep. Gadgeteers can use equipment, zap with a lightning rod for instance. They can also combine stuff to make better stuff and they never run out of ammo for their gun, 'cos they can use almost anything.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:44 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So do you think that party like

- samurai
- bishop
- gadgeteer
- bard
- two mages

can fight its way trought Wizardy 8? Is strong melee fighter necessary or not?
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:04 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Danicek: Here are some thoughts about your team: With my experience, I would recommend a priest instead of the bishop for the following reasons: The priest is a "pure" character with only one spellbook, and will level up like crazy compared to the bishop, which is the slowest character of all to level up. The Priest will get the expert skills much earlier, and also the most powerfull magic spells much earlier than the Bishop. The Bishop will get a wider varity of spells in the end, but the priest will also get the "death to all" spells and all the ailment/healing spells, what more does he/she need in the end???
Both the Bard and Gadgeteer are very speciel characters, and fun to play, however having them both at the samt time make you have to collect all the instruments and gadgets, that you oterwise could sell for a lot of needed money in the start/mid game.
The fighter is a better powerhouse than the samurai, but the samurai will do fine. Change one of the mages to an alchemist,If not for the varity then for the free potions (money making). His/her spells will be as powerfull as the mages in the end.

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-11 02:48 ]
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:47 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So:

- priest
- samurai
- alchemist
- fighter
- gadgeteer
- bard

Or should I change gadgeteer or bard for ranger?
I say again - I do not want strongest party, I want most interesting party (but playable).
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:20 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I guess all kinds of combinations are playable if we put the subject on an edge, but having fun is also not having too much problem with all the battles. I don't say that the party you got now is a weak party, but I think you will miss the Mage for pure destruction in the endgame. I know both the Gadgeteer and the Bard can find gadgets/instruments that can do the same, but you are depending on finding the items! The Bard can probably find instruments that will cast better magic than the gadgeteer can make gadgets, but the margin is not very big, and the gadgeteer can also combine weapons (ex bows for tripleshot options), and he master to upgrade his ranged weapon along with his skills. And last but not least he can pick locks and disarm traps!

But hey, it's only a suggestion, BTW your party will do fine as they are, just remember to boost the primary abilities that boost stamina for both the Bard and the Gadgeteer, they use a lot of stamina.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:15 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, I will try this party.
Thank you for advices.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:14 pm

iive been playing wiz8 since january i think. anyways i tried many different party combinations, and the most effective one i made so far goes like this...

Felpurr Samurai (Sword, esp bloodlust)
Lizardman Fighter (Mace and Flail and Shield...so i can use vampire chain and drain all their stamina)
Dwarf Fighter (Axe and Shield...for some reason berzerk axe swings really dish out the damage, dont underestimate the Beastslayer Axe)
Human Valkyrie (Polearm)
Elf Ranger (Bow and Sword and Shield)
Hobbit Thief (Sword and Dagger, dual daggers isnt as effective, sword backstabs sometimes can get 4x damage which is really good)

obviously this party is all about hand to hand combat, but if you give all your members bows/crossbows/slings as early as possible and use them whever ranged combat is possible, they will become very compentent shooters, especially the fighters since their strength and dexterity will be very high (bow skill relys on strength and dexterity). the way i have the party formed up is different, noone is up at the very front line...i have each of my fighters taking the sides. in the middle i have my ranger,samurai,and rogue. put the ranger up front in the middle to take advantage of shield. and in the back is the valkyrie. this set up is extremely effective since the monsters attacks will be targeted mostly at the ranger and the two fighters, who will constantly increase their shield skill because of this. always keep your shields on because once they get up to 75 you will block attacks almost all the time. another advantage of this setup is that all your party members will be able to reach their weapons at the monster directly in front of the party. but what about magic??? as soon as my valkyrie, ranger, and samurai became level 5, i increased their spellbook skill +3 and used the other 6 points for the magic realms that i needed to work on. i did this for every level up since level 5 and now im entering bayjin with level 5 magic spells for those 3 characters and some devastating mellee attack to boot. those rynjin baddies got messed up! even Nessie couldnt stand a chance. if u want the psionic spells as well, just replace one of the fighters with a monk (or psionic of u must). oh and another thing, give your fighters modern weapons asap, blunder buss will tear monsters up. Give the Bloodlust to the Samurai. once he gets in the higher levels he will lightning strike much more often and dish out 7 or 8 swings at once. as soon as my valkyrie learns all the spells she needs im gonna turn her into a fighter so she can launch berzerk attacks from the back row.

another awesome strategy with this party is to summon elementals with samurai and ranger when the enemy is close. the elementals should pop up behind the enemy and begin to attack. sometimes the enemy will turn around to fight the elementals, thats when you have your mace and flail expert swing at them while they are turned around. doing so has a much greater chance of knocking them out unconcious. knockouts are my favorite form of brutality in the game, hehehe.
hope my own personal experiences help you out!
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:35 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nice description Anonymous...
But I am looking for most interesting, not strongest party.
I played it first with strong party with fighters, mages etc. Now I want to try as many "special" character as it is possible. But I still want the game to be playeable.
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:15 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think Anonymous's party is quite interesting, actually, he took a handicap (no mages) and went with it.

You could also try soloing, a faerie ninja makes for an interesting solo party

Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Did you try one_member party?
I tried Lord and it was very difficult and unplayable on easy setting.
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:28 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next