I finally did it!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I finally did it!

I have now completed all three camps WITHOUT reloading The mage is ungodly hard, and was the last completed.

OK, let me back up a sec....I DID save quite often, but only saved/reloaded to sleep, not to use as a reload if you die. I also used 3 reloads because of true game bugs(the winch in the old mine, an odd time when it quit giving me exp. for doing stuff, and once in the water outside the fog tower....I was swimming and going onto a rock and I got stuck waist deep in the dam rock.) Oddly enough, all three were as mage :/

Twice I got killed as a mage in the sleeper temple and had to start the game over grrr. I did complete cromanin in all 3 games.

If you try it, the hardest parts are entering the new mine, going down the ladders to the bottom level in the new mine(as a mage), and in the dam sleepers last chamber. These are quite tough for any of the 3 camps, but can be done if you figure it out

I doubt I will try it as a ranger....not because of difficulty, but because the ranger bores me. If you got stones, try it as a mage.....my strength got up to 40, so I truely played and beat it as a mage.....and yes, I "retreated" a few times to heal lol. I used no cheats, never looted a body or chest(even in the wilderness), unless the body or chest had a quest specific item, and I ONLY took that item. I killed nothing that did'nt attack me first(I mean people), and I tried not to kill if possible.

All this will seem simple to a good player.....until you try it Good luck Wulf...I KNOW you will give it a try

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:30 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Thanks Uriziel, you have been busy!

I also tried these methods a couple of years back, all seems like second nature now, one thing though, that caught my eye, the "ranger" bores you, really? - - you do realise the implications attached to the ranger? - - or do you mean as a "hunter-only" (no guild, later) ? - - when you progress from a firemage to a watermage you do keep your firemage allegiance (both) but this cannot be done the otherway round? - watermage to firemage! - obviously because of the "gods" connection. Just as a shadow will not be barred from the old camp, neither will a rougue/hunter, but as a magicians courier (you get the amulet) into the firemages and the second letter to Corristo, you can of course finish the game completely guildless.
I still believe the "true cromanin" is fully independant of the game as it was added later, but the triggers were placed at strategic positions in the game path/storyline, - - but where? (still trying)
Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:50 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Basically, you completed it without dying once, that's what you are saying(the only real reason to load except bugs). Good show!

I have to disagree with you about the mage though. I found mages to be rather the easiest really, because I always tend to make them hardcore one-handed fighters early on(getting the Silas' axe, and about 50 strength, and then Ravens' sword later on). So basically any mage I make is a fighter with spells, making it easy to survive. The most annoying way to end such a game is by dying when you jump out of Xardas' tower(before we learned of the back-way to jump out, everyone jumped from his tower and into the water.. you died 50% of the times, lol).

Anyhow, congratulations!
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:58 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I wonder why people die jumping out of Xardas's tower? I tried it every time i went there and never died!
Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:18 pm
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

that is because if u jump into the water u never die, if drop on the ground u die. but my question is why jump when u can teleport to water mages/swamp camp???

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:13 pm
LeftyNinefingers
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was just catching up on my reading, came across this thread and decided to pose two questions I've had. I've played this game quite a bit, but only about a half dozen times through the story. Usually I finish a character and then for the next few months I just run around killing anything I might have missed and exploring any nook and cranny looking for something new.

First of all, how can you play the game guild-less? Aren't you required to join a camp in order to initiate the summoning of the sleeper? Also, when people refer to playing as a ranger, is this what they mean, playing guild-less?

Second, I've seen people mention getting Raven's sword, but I've never done this until late in the game when I teleport in and kill him. The only reason I keep it is because I always collect one of each weapon. I never need it because I always have Revenge Steel from the Orc camp before I even start chapter 2. Is there some way of getting it early in the game that I'm not aware of?
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:13 pm
Giani
Village Leader
Village Leader

hmm let me answer

well CassRo maybe because they ran out of mana and any mana potions or maybe because they just still need to be in the same area or because they are simply just some noobs (witch I doubt you can be a noob when you do stunts like never get killed in game>I do remember my old times when I was tryng to kill the 3 scavengers when I just had a rusty old sword and just talked to drax and the other I don't remember his name,and I remember that I used to die allot just to get that damn exp from all 3 of the scavengers,those damn hunters stealed my exp )

ofcourse you can allways be a piggy and strafe left or right when you are falling (though that isn't rp,it's more like abusing a minor bug>good bug sometimes when you accidently fall and you know you saved 1-2 hours ago and don't want to go from there all the way back)

now to answer leftyninefingers: well going ranger means you maximize your dexterity and use bows/crossbows allot at killing(an no it's not booring it gives you more protection because,let's look into the history of our ancestors...
the death ratio has gone low percent because of the invention of the range weapons in humankind.....> let me put it this way, you try fighting a elefant with a spear (and in those ages they were fighting mamoths witch were allot worse) well ofcourse bow came much later but that ain't important,what is important is that you shoot a bloodfly from the distance,and the respective bloodfly was in a group and the other witch are not dead yet are coming your way>you shoot 1-2 more till they reach you then in the thrill of event you either run like a maniac (but trust me if you can kill a bloodfly in 1 hit with bow/crossbow then that is silly,unless you have 1 point of life witch is another way of getting to the point) or you draw your sword and slash the remaining one...> at this battle if you go melee you risk because you can kill the first bloodfly but the next ones are just flyng around you and we all know that gothic 1 control and agility was kinda crumbling.

and second answer to lefty question
why the heeelll!!
why the hell in god;s name you need raven sword( witch gives you 70 dmg )when you can just simply beat the scar sword (witch gives 85 )out of scar and it's the best 1 handed in game,beeing mage with that sword,well let's say there will be no more problems for you neighbor and besides if you get the strength you can have this sword in chapter 1
just do quests of joining the old camp,do them but do not speak to gomez
enter the castle and the house of barons ,give scar a trash and get his sword,carefull though later on if you plan on doing business in there you might rather un-equip the sword ,coz he'll scream you stole it ,and I don't remember but I think the others will become mad and kick you in the butt ,to start off go kick bulco and take his sword ,kill enough creatures in the forest and do a couple of quests then go to scar(be sure you have the strength and level 2 of wielding 1 handed)

that's about it
and sorry of my english,kinda rusty
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:50 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you are a member of the old camp, Raven won't kill you for attacking him, so he'll smack you to the ground, you get back up with a new weapon and hit him again etc. This way you can get a brilliant 1h at the start.

The reason why everyone gets Ravens' sword instead of Scars' is simple - Ravens' only requires 55 strength to use(you need 70 for Scars'), so you can use it as a mage, and still have enough points to pump up your magic as soon as you become a mage. Also, Raven is easier to get alone - Scar is usually in the company of others.

I don't use that "trick" anymore though, I just go for Lares' Axe instead. It has 65 damage, requires 45 str, and works very well for mages untill you can get good enough spells to ignore melee combat.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:22 am