View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Demo Download Resources

NEW DEMO REQUEST LIST:
Any help in finding the following games would be appreciated!

- Fallout 2
- Future Tactics
- GoldenLand
- Konung: Legends of the North
- Paradise Cracked
- Planescape: Torment
- Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
- Sea Dogs
- Shadow Vault
- Sid Meier's Pirates!
- Soulbringer
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
- Sudeki

I only speak English, so please make sure the demo is not in any foreign language.

Last edited by booyah_boy on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:35 am; edited 17 times in total
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:06 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Wow...big list. Some of those are very old, some obscure, some were never released in English and some too new to have a demo (I only added the announcement for Rebrobates yesterday, for example).

I use 3D Gamers, occasionally Worthplaying and very rarely FilePlanet. Our database is pretty consistent to around 2001, so anything released from then should have a newsbit for the demo if you look in the database.

You could also use the database links to find reviews (or go to an aggregation site like Gamerankings) to help you narrow that huge list.

I'll give you a start: toss Dungeon Lords and Metal Heart off.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:41 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

dang!
by the time you got done with all those demos, youd be grown up and out of the house ='.'=

Like Dhruin said, a few of those games are very old (like System shock, Revenant), and youd be lucky to get your paws on a copy of the actual game, much less a demo thereof. Them youd have to get the game running! There is no real greatl central clearing house for demos that I know of, places like Gamer's Hell are pretty much the best youre gonna get for that sort of thing. Gigex is one i can name off the top of my head.

www.gamespot.com is what I use, and they always have everything Ive ever needed in seconds, even patches youll need for the full versions. But then again, Ive been a paying member so long (like 30 bucks a year), Im not sure what a free acct will get you these days, but I personally love the site because theyre fast and dependable.

I dont even know what to reccommend, because I dont know what youre looking for. I know I can tell you Majesty, Icewind Dale, Gothic, Vampire:Bloodlines, and Planescape: Torment are good. What type of game are you looking for?

anyway, Good luck!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:44 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
I use 3D Gamers, occasionally Worthplaying and very rarely FilePlanet.

Fantastic! Thanks for the referrals, Dhruin, I'll check them out.
I did a google search on "pc game demos" and yet it only came up with GamersHell and PCGameWorld (hence, and as noted, they were the only ones I tried). Again, thank you, I'm just attempting to get the "in-the-know" sites.

quote:
Our database is pretty consistent to around 2001, so anything released from then should have a newsbit for the demo if you look in the database.

Really? I must have totally missed that part...I'll look again.

quote:
I'll give you a start: toss Dungeon Lords and Metal Heart off.

So there's nothing good to be said for either of them then? I'm fairly open to almost any type of game or gameplay; surely they have something to redeem them...right?

------------------------

quote:
Like Dhruin said, a few of those games are very old (like System shock, Revenant), and youd be lucky to get your paws on a copy of the actual game, much less a demo thereof. Them youd have to get the game running!

Oh. Well then, I suppose I should stick to newer games. As I said, I compiled the list from the "Games Database" here, and each of those had some good reviews; that is, I just thought I'd try them.
What about second-hand stores? Would they carry a copy? I mean, if I like the game.
On a side note - and one that just occurred to me - how old are they? Are they shareware-type (free for download somewhere) of old? Or just outdated-type (cannot run on modern computers) of old?

quote:
I dont even know what to reccommend, because I dont know what youre looking for. I know I can tell you Majesty, Icewind Dale, Gothic, Vampire:Bloodlines, and Planescape: Torment are good. What type of game are you looking for?

Hmmm...something entertaining?
I know that doesn't help narrow it down at all - and I'm sorry about that - it's just that (like I said abov) I'm pretty open to almost any type of game. For instance, I recently played (pretty much in order) Max Payne 2, Baldur's Gate II, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Myth, Myst, Age of Empires III, Diablo II, Diablo, Drakan: Order of the Flame, Driver, GTA2...and so on. Pretty much all over the game genre board, aye?
I suppose if I had to really choose something, though, I would like something along the lines of Space Hack (I just played a demo of it, and really had fun) or a first-person rpg (you know, in the vein of Morrowind or Arx Fatalis)

Also, I'll check Gigex out, I've never even heard of it before, so, who knows? It may have something good! I have searched through GameSpot though, and they didn't help me at all.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:36 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Hi! Nice list indeed, and since some of the games a pretty old, and I was stuck some time ago with a similar problem - looking for demos to games that were pretty old ... I would reccomend fileplanet (www.fileplanet.com). As much as I dislike waiting in there, they keep in the database demos for games, that are otherwise dropped already from most sites. So, if the game has a demo released, and you start getting messages that the link is broken or that no such file exist (from other download sites) there would probably be one on fileplanet.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:54 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wonderful!
Alright, I searched through Gigex, 3DGamers, WorthPlaying, and FilePlanet, and managed to knock off the following from my list...
- A.I.M.
- Cold Zero
- Excalibug
- Journey's End
- Mafia (by Illusion Softworks)
- Neuro Hunter
- Revenant
...which, while it still means my list is quite large, also means that it is that much smaller than before. Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help thus far.
If any other sites come to mind, please drop me a line. I'll be searching through the Games Database until then.

EDIT - I just read all the comments on Dungeon Lords here at RPGDot, and I'm going to drop it from the list as was suggested I do earlier. It looked nice, and certainly had some fair reviews (not to count, the publisher's website sold me on the game), but I really don't want anything that buggy!
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:21 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The Cybermage demo is over at 3DGamers, too. Yes, it's old, yes, it's buggy... but it's quite a nice game. Oh yes, and be sure to check out the demo of Realms of the Haunting, one of my favorite games ever (hope you'll get it to run, though, it's from '96...)
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

hey you can get about 10 games on the list for 10$ total, I mean Icewind dale, and planescape each cost about a quarter on Ebay or amazon, gothic is getting a new release in english, but still will probably be pretty cheap I think there's still a demo at world of gothic(it's in german with english subtitles), I don't believe you can get jagged aliance for XP but you can try in fact if you do , tell me where
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Don't think Jagged Alliance is available, but JA2 is. I bought a pack roughly a year ago that had JA2 plus the Unfinished Business expansion. Runs fine on WinXP. $20 at EB Games, IIRC.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:56 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Some of the really old games are available on Abandonware sites. However, you need to check carefully to see if it's legal to download the games; some are, but some aren't. Fortunately, I bought all those old games when they first came out and now I still play them via Dosbox!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:50 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
The Cybermage demo is over at 3DGamers, too. Yes, it's old, yes, it's buggy... but it's quite a nice game. Oh yes, and be sure to check out the demo of Realms of the Haunting, one of my favorite games ever (hope you'll get it to run, though, it's from '96...)

Cybermage is at 3DGamers...huh, I didn't see that. I suppose I'll have to go back and check again, thanks for the tip!
Oh, and I cannot tell you how shocked I was to hear someone mention Realms of the Haunting. I actually own a copy of the game, and man, it was/is one of my favorite horror-esque games ever! Coming from a guy who doesn't spend much time exploring that genre, that means something...I think.
Oh well, either way, I mean, come on, what other game lets you set the difficulty level for the action and adventure areas differently, and still supplies some good times (blowing apart monsters is always fun). I don't remember where I picked it up (I think it might have been at a yard-sale), but I'm still grateful I did.

EDIT:
Well, Jaz, you were quite right, I was able to find a Cybermages demo at 3DGamers. Thank you, again, I appreciate your help.

quote:
I don't believe you can get jagged aliance for XP but you can try in fact if you do , tell me where

Hey now, none of that; I'm the one asking for help around here...
Just kidding. Of course I'll tell you, if I myself ever manage to find it. Just promise me you'll do the same!

quote:
Some of the really old games are available on Abandonware sites. However, you need to check carefully to see if it's legal to download the games; some are, but some aren't.

Could you point me in the direction of some good abandonware sites? Preferrably those with legal content (I'm strictly anti-software piracy). Thank you.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:12 am
Dhruin

I think the whole concept of Abandonware is a bit sticky from a legal viewpoint but to my knowledge Home of the Underdogs tries pretty hard to keep things clean.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:50 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sorry for not responding sooner, I've been busy looking through Home of the Underdogs, and man, do they ever have a great selection! Thanks for the referral Dhruin. I was even able to pick up an English copy of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, one of my all time favorite games (and one I was never able to fully enjoy, it being in Japanese and all).
I also found a copy of Circle of Lorent (which is a really nice Dungeon Siege mod), and would like to thank DoomHamm3r for the link.
Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by booyah_boy
Oh well, either way, I mean, come on, what other game lets you set the difficulty level for the action and adventure areas differently
System Shock. That one had three or four different difficulty areas (action, puzzles, cyberspace...).
Great, another RotH fan.. now we're three!
Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:07 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
System Shock. That one had three or four different difficulty areas (action, puzzles, cyberspace...).

Ah, well, it is on the list...

quote:
Great, another RotH fan.. now we're three!

Huzzah! Soon we shall take over Poland with our vast numbers!
Seriously, though, I fail to understand why such a great game has so few followers. I would have expected it to build up some kind of cult following, at the least. Any insight?

EDIT:
I also found a Technomage demo - hosted on an old mirror of their homepage - so that no longer applies to the list.
Any help finding the others (where possible) would still be greatly appreciated.
Also, any recommendations would be equally appreciated!
Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:13 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next