Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Stuff I would like to see in future Gothic games.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Aram
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some simple things I noticed were wrong in the first two games should be added.

1)Weapon placement. Axes and hammers are actually upside down when you have them unequipped, there is no way to support a weapon like that unless you hold in it a belt loop. Bastard swords should also be stored on your back, a bastard sword drags the ground when sheathed at your hip.

2)Combat. Using the same combat styles with every weapon wasn't realistic. In real-life you wouldn't fight the exact same way with an axe as you would with a sword. I was disappointed to see the character fight with a staff the same way he used a two handed sword. New styles for swords, axes, and blunt weapons would be nice, as long as they don’t divide them into skills, 1h and 2h fighting skills was enough for me. I would also like to see spears added under 2h weapons and throwing knives and axes under ranged (both used during the time period). I throw knives in RL and see a great advantage in them (an expert can throw 4 at once)

3)More attention to story and details. The majority of posts I've read seem aimed at armor and appearance. While both are great, I think the story focus really makes the game. Making the game "pretty" wouldn't make it entertaining to me for long. If we get to learn more about the characters and environment it would be more hooking and really make you more interested in the game. Something like a novel where you really know your characters but actually play their parts.

4)Simplicity. I don’t want to see 5000 weapons and 200 kinds of armor. If you pay too much attention to things like that you'll end up with Morrowind, lots of items, no story. I would like them to make the magic system more complex. A greater diversity of spells and casting would add more of a challenge.
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:34 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Actually I think that the character should have to use skill points to improve on axes/blunts. That way you would probably want to specialize in one type of weapon.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:50 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Aram,

Welcome to the forums,

Some good & interesting points you've mentioned there, but it would seem
that a lot more of the ani' files would have to be made for each weapon, and the game loads a huge number allready, this would apply to weapon place-
ment and combat tecniques, some pc-machines cannot handle the current
game instruction set/codes sizes even as it is now.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:34 pm
Aram
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the welcome

I didn't think of added files (kind of ignorant when it come to game programming). I still figure it would be alot less than a epic battle between men and orcs. My computer locks up when I'm attacked by five monsters, I shudder when I think of what a huge battle would do to me.

I would love it if they brought in a novel writer to help develop the story. A big name writer would help advertise the game but I wouldn't bet on one taking time out for this. I've seen it done before but never to great success. (Todd McFarlane and Ultima Online seemed like a disaster)

Something I haven't seen many RPGs do is add a few horror elements to the game. When gothic comes to mind it usually associates dark and scary. When I rate a game I usually go on how it effects the player, if your feeling emotion from a game (hopefully not boredom or anger), you have a greater chance of getting hooked.

I dont know if any of this reaches PB, but I thought I'd throw some suggestions out and use up some free time.

Last edited by Aram on Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:58 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Hmm. . . a horror RPG is an interesting idea, but I don't think the Gothic games should concentrate on horror. True, some of the environments are creepy (Halls of Irdorath, Sleeper's Temple), but I think the Gothic series should continue like it's been doing. I would like to see a horror RPG though. That would be cool.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:08 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i wouldent mind to see that also and indeed Gothic series should remain the same like they are right now i mean there is a little bit horror there is a little bit comedy there is much adventure and all other things
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:02 pm
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

1)The NPCs run away I recall the awesome feeling of power when I went into the Old Camp with my Ore armor on and Graham the map maker and every digger I met ran away from me. Now in G2 I can insert a black troll and all the farmers will run at it like there is no tomrow. It's really de-evolution
2.New cheat word I beat G1. In an attempt to revive the game I decided to find cheats. Done. For G2 I didn't want to play with cheats but I had to because after you've found F8 you can never go back. I just want to play Gothic 2 agian not Gothic 2: Cheating is fun!
3.Better boss battles Gothic and G2 haven't had good bosses. I mean, I''m like 40th or 50th level and I fighiting crazed Novices!!!! NOVICES!!!????. Then I ram swords in hearts and fight demons? Cmon? and do I need to say anything about the dragons I've faced?
*I have not played the Night of the Raven so don't rag on me about the things that have changed.

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:01 pm
MoriasBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Aram,
Welcome, great ideas, I ABSOLUTLY AGREE, with the horror idea, it's kinda nice to walk into a dark forrest, and maybe see somebody being sacraficed....and try to find out the plot.....For a perfect example...Ultima 7 serpents isle...when you find out somebody has been murdered and try to track down that person...it's grim but short lasting...but get you "HOOKED" right from the start. I think the attemp at the Aztec Section of G2 was so LAME, i mean same dumb creatures and no real secrets or big payoffs, NOT EVEN A SECRET PASSAGE...DUH pyramids anybody...anyway. I like the thrill idea, weather it HORROR, or Secret, or mood setting music, MAYBE EVEN a rare type of wizard who lives alone out in the woods...anyway i think you get my drift!
my 2
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

aram, i agree with everything you said except for the 3rd section, i believe that the game is plenty focused as it is and all it really needs is to be made pretty, be made well without rushing through the last few months of development, and to be well marketed so that people besides us hardcore insomniacs arent the only ones that know about it
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:15 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe u wont belive what u will see in AZTEC landscape this time when u play G2A. U see PB did 2 part very soon and fans wanted it so badly that they didnt add to it fully everything i mean the pyramid thing was left alone like it is and some other places but G2A will add u that G1 feeling back like its a perfect game and nothing really is missing in it ehe. About the Wizard living in the woods how about Xardas in 1 and 2 part he is a wizzard and he did live in woods alone ehe
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:00 pm
MoriasBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DAEDALUS, XARTAS doesn't count nice try
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:04 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10