Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wheres the dang shields?(Or: Whats the point of 1-H weapons)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

who the hell said the french were the first to use shields?

have youa ll never heard of the Romans???

Shieds served a purpose in combat.
It would add to the strategy of combat of gothic imo.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:11 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am getting tired of people who read half of what I write, and then reply..

I never said the French were the first to use shields, I said they were the first to have KNIGHTS.

Sure, it'll be good to see new features, I just hope they don't overdo it by having 100000000 different skills to put your LPs on, and a combat system that's unbalanced. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to trust PB to make yet another great game..
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:47 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Urnakh
Why are you so hostile about this? IIRC, PB has already promised to include shields in G3. There were no shields in G1&G2 because of engine limitations and for G3 they will use a completely new engine anyway.

so this whole thread and all threads like this are now pointless, if pb promised to add shields then thats it case close maylander you just spent all that time typing for nothing and you too dez and everyone else that said more than a line or two...

SO I SAY HA... HA... HA...
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:49 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I never said there wasn't going to be shields, I'm just saying I think PB will screw themselves on this one if they don't do it right. Sure, they'll get a lot of Morrowind/Diablo fans, but a lot of oldies will lose interest if the combat system is changed too much(the current combat system is one of the main reasons why the superfans in here love the game so much).

I'd like to say that I trust PB will be able to balance it perfect into the Gothic world, but I don't. I've seen great series like Might and Magic and Baldur's Gate die before my very eyes because the producers made changes..
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:18 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Baldur's Gate? Really? In what ways? Even though it was more critically acclaimed and popular than the original? Even though the combat system was so very improved by stuff like dual wielding/defining skills?
Oh, is this the part where you go off saying how you are a misunderstood genius and that we should all read what you write? I hope so, it is quite amusing.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:02 am
curious
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

a few things...

shields would be cool, but would be harder to incorporate
in some ways they are realistic, in others not
first off in gothic there is only one country, as far as we now
and shields are mainly used as defense in armies (that fight other armies)
a shield isn't going to stop a beast or monster that will claw or ravage any
part of your body not covered by a shield. And an orc probably has the strength to split a shield.(Blade of Darkness did have an awesome combat
system, possibly the best and most realistic ever...but it wasn't an rpg) So all that leaves is bandits and mercinaries who wouldn't either need them, or be able to afford them. A sword is much easier to make than a shield. Shields, at least ones of any value, where always a status symbol. And theres not much chivalry in gothic. So being that the paladins and kings troops all have some of the best armour and best swordsman and trainers why would they need swords...especially in the less than regal lands of Khorinis and the Mining Colony. Maybe if some hypothetical person in gothic 'asked' for a shield to be made they would be laughed at as a coward...it is a brutal world.

Gothic 3 is a different matter entirely. Are we going to see the mainland of Myrtana finally? If so there will have to be a huge castle which no doubt being the coward that he is, King Robar will surely at least have a shield for himself. Following in the tradition of new types of military men, their may be a royal guard as well with shields bearing even jewels. Whether or not the reports of shields in gothic 3 is true, it is highly possible...me i couldn't care either way...i lay my faith in pb to develop the next best singleplayer(always the best) rpg of all time...which will be hard considering how amazing this one was. Just finished a few hours ago, now i can play something other than a holy paladin. Mage for sure, gotta see what runes can be made. And god's blood the most lame thing about the game IS how gimply diego, and his voice especially have become. THough i'm thankful they retain most of the others. To quote a bloodthirsty paladin
"I love this #^#&"

Its late, pardon my incoherence.

for all those who really need their dose of a shield, play Blade of Darkness
it is the most realistic swordfighting game. The Barbarian can't wield a shield though...don't remember about the amazon, didn't play all the way through with her. Oh yes and the shields in this game break...some with one crack
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:14 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmmmmmmm…Joined 12/19/01, no personal data and only 5 posts. Who is this silent masked man?

Personally, I would still like to see the ability to wield a shield. I am taking my time with G2, unlike G1, I have learned to appreciate the game. I am just about to enter Ch. 2 so I have a long way to go, but looking back at G1, I remember getting pin-cushioned with bolts quite a bit. It would have been nice to have a shield to cover my ass.

While I’m at it…I think that weapons should degrade with use forcing one to either pay a smithy to repair your weapon or learn the trade enabling you to repair the weapon yourself.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:09 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hexy, did you seriously think I was talking about Baldur's Gate 2? Read my posts before replying, PLEASE.

I'm so sick of this.. I have already said how frustrated I was because Bioware ruined BG1-2 by making Neverwinter Nights which is the follow-up to BG2.

So, they ruined the Baldur's Gate series.. it's the same series, on the same land(Faerun) with the same cities and people. Based on the same series of books, but NWN was still a crap game compared to BG1-2.

As for breaking shields. Very unrealistic, because a strong shield is much stronger than a sword. Besides, an Orc Elite would break a blocking sword each and every time, unless you were wielding a magic sword, so that is not realistic even in Gothic today. It is much easier to break a blocking sword, than a blocking shield.

Some blades in Gothic are magic, created with magic ore, and these blades are unbreakable. You can get such a blade too soon in the game(already in chapter 1 if you know where to look) for a repair skill to have a real use(unless it only costs 5LP or so to become a complete master, where no further training is needed, no matter which blade you were going to fix).
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:46 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander

Some blades in Gothic are magic, created with magic ore, and these blades are unbreakable. You can get such a blade too soon in the game(already in chapter 1 if you know where to look) for a repair skill to have a real use(unless it only costs 5LP or so to become a complete master, where no further training is needed, no matter which blade you were going to fix).

I have run across the blade you are talking about but left it alone because I sure it belongs to quest…if not it should. I agree that Ch. 1 is too early to be able to equip yourself with, or learn to forge a magic weapon. While I understand that this is not a SIM it would not heart to come as close to reality as possible (imho). If you can ching you sword off of stone walls in caves, it makes sense that your blade would not do as much damage until you hit a grind stone and re-sharpen the edge. Also…if you abuse your weapon by failing to maintain it, it would eventually break forcing you to get another on.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:24 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

"Fact is, I don't know of a single game where you can use shield that has got any sort of combinations or fighting that requires anything but hack'n slash. To be honest I don't think it can be done. If you give me an actual example of a game containing brilliant fighting with shields, I might agree, but so far I have only seen games with block-hit fighting, OR games where the shield just adds to total armour(this could not work in Gothic.. we all know that.. you always use things in gothic, for instance, if you wear plate armour, the arrows bounce off you). "

Check out Blade of darkness.
THE best combat game with swords/shields, etc imo ever.

you can find it cheap now, around 10 bucks.
Also there's a demo of it you can find on the net.
The controls take a bit getting used to, but once you do, oh man the combat is sweet.

Doing a spin and knocking off someones head and then coming back around and chopping off a arm or leg.
(it's gory too)
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:42 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'll have to check it out...sounds cool.

Sylvio
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah but like all of you said, adding even the smallest thing would take alot of work, and imo making the weapons have durability and adding repair skills a so onwould probally take a really really long time...
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:39 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Less time than adding something to the combat system, but I do not see the point.

I'm not talking about the Dragon Slayer you can find(it is impossible to wield in the beginning due to strength requirement anyway), but about most swords in Gothic. In Gothic 1 you learn from a man called Ian(boss of the biggest ore mine) that blades made from magic ore are unbreakable and sharper than normal once. I'm not only talking about the special ore blades of the Paladins, or the highly enchanted weapons later in the game, but most good blades. Remember, King Rhobar II needs the ore because he equips his whole army with blades made of magic ore, so I should think they are pretty common by now.

Although I do see your point.. blocking a raging orc elite with a branch does seem a bit unrealistic to me.. at least without taking any sort of damage!

Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:44 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
Hey Hexy for that matter...why so much running around for all these quests?
Lets simplify things and just train some courier pigeons, I would welcome the extra time at the bar, right?

quote:
Why have various weapons like swords, axes and bows?
Why should there be two handed weapons anyway? And why have more than one kind of magic? More than one armor? Why armor at all? Why are there chests? Etc. etc. etc.

Why are you suddenly starting to make fun? I never suggested that we removed anything, I was suggesting that we shouldn't add anything... I hope you know that there's a diffirence between adding and removing.

I know this was probably posted for fun, but it's still pissing me off pretty badly...

You made a thread, I added my opinion, and now you're trying to twist my words, while making fun of me.

I know I'm quoting an old post here....
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:08 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Yahari

Why are you suddenly starting to make fun? I never suggested that we removed anything, I was suggesting that we shouldn't add anything... I hope you know that there's a diffirence between adding and removing.

I know this was probably posted for fun, but it's still pissing me off pretty badly...

You made a thread, I added my opinion, and now you're trying to twist my words, while making fun of me.

I know I'm quoting an old post here....

Ehhh...
You know, you have already responded to what you quoted... why bring it up again? Anyway, since you quoted me TOO, DJ, I'll explain:

What I MEANT was (and I think Sharpnel got), that you shouldn't want everything simplified, Gothic is an RPG, but FOCUSED on COMBAT, which is also a part of the Role Playing itself. Why were there armors, and different kinds at that? Because it gives you VARIETY, one of THE most IMPORTANT parts of an RPG. Especially a combat heavy game like Gothic. Adding shields will increase variety, choice AND realism. Win win situation? OH, I THINK SO.

P.S. Psssst... Maylander, NWN isn't a part of the BG series, they barely use the same RP-system. Keep trying though... BTW, ever heard of a one-trick-pony?
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:37 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next