To HDR or not to HDR
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

To HDR or not to HDR

The game finally arrived yesterday. I have seen only the initial dungeon so far. I was playing with my character's face and with video setting.

And I simply cannot decide if I like the game more with HDR or with AA 4x. The HDR version looks more "nice" but in few moments it starts to seem rather artificial, too shining (I don't know how to express my feelings). On the other hand the AA 4x version looks more generic, not so stunning but probably more realistically.

What do you think of this?
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:48 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Danicek, what are your system specs? CPU? RAM? Video card?
How is the game running so far?
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:06 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Danicek, what are your system specs? CPU? RAM? Video card?
How is the game running so far?

Specs: 3400+, 1024 RAM, 6800GS
Setting: 1280*1024 (hope I remember the numbers correctly :]), HDR (or AA4x), nearly everything on max. I was out of the dungeon only very shortly and everything seems to be smooth.

Generally I believe there are couple other things than the usual that very much affect the game performance. Namely latest NVidia drivers (somehow optimized for Oblivion) and harddisk subsystem performance. I don't know why, but there seems to be many harddisk accesses in this game.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

You and I have almost identical systems. I'm currently running a 3400+
1024 pc3200, and Geforce 6800GT.

It doesn't surprise me that Oblivion accesses the hard disk often. Oblivion uses a graphics engine very similar to Morrowind.

I'm surprised to hear that it's running very smooth on that system with the resolution that high. That is good news. I still haven't got my copy yet. I should get it sometime in the next week or so. I still have to finish Wiz 8(almost done now) and I might go back and play Morrowind some more before I start Oblivion.

Do you see a lot of jagged edges when you're not using AA?
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Do you see a lot of jagged edges when you're not using AA?

I didn't notice any. But I spent only 1.5 hour in game so far.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:45 am
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm also deciding between HDR and Bloom+AA. The HDR "plastic" look reminds me of Doom3. But first I have to get rid of the random CtD's during fights...
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:34 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I dont have Oblivion yet, so I cant fully give an appropriate opinion, but I would go for what looks more generic and realistic. But thats me...

Doom3 looks too colourful and bright (with unrealistic graphics) on my 3200+ with Geforce Fx5700LE, but runs smoothly on high.

However, Doom3 on my brothers laptop (P4 3.2 Gigz X600), has incredibly more detailed and realistic graphics. And that is also high.

-lol, thats kind of off-topic though.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

This is obviously a matter of personal taste and preference. I have decided to turn HDR off after trying the game with HDR on and off. HDR didn't affect my performance at all (I'm CPU-limited with an Athlon XP3200+) so that was not a factor.
I just made my decision based on the visuals and to me, the game looks a lot better with HDR off. I dislike the totally exaggerated over-brightness effect caused by HDR (which is even worse due to the bright white architecture in and around the Imperial City... seriously, you gotta wear freakin' shades while playing with HDR on ).
I liked HDR in the HL2: Lost Coast add-on level and also in NFS: Most Wanted but in Oblivion... no thanks, it doesn't really look good in this particular fantasy setting IMHO.

P.S.: I'd strongly recommend to enable Anisotropic Filtering in your video card drivers. It doesn't really have a negative impact on performance (even at 16x AF you lose maybe 2-3 FPS) but the graphics -especially in the distance- are much sharper/better looking.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:15 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
This is obviously a matter of personal taste...

Definitely, I'm just curious what people's personal tastes are :].
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:21 am
Tjvelcro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was wondering if someone could post a picture with and without HDR and AA? I have a hard time choosing also because I have a hard time remembering what the screens looked like. 2 screens shots side by side with HDR on one and AA on the other would be much help.

Tjvelcro
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:58 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

There ya go ... clicky . It says underneath each screenie which options were enabled/disabled. The screenshot in the bottom right corner (oblivion03.jpg) is showing a different perspective to illustrate why I personally don't like HDR (extreme over-brightness).
The screenshots were taken with FRAPS and converted to JPG at 100% quality (lowest compression). All graphics options set to high BTW except for shadows but none of the in-game gfx options should matter too much anyway in this case because it's a city scene.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
There ya go ... clicky :) . It says underneath each screenie which options were enabled/disabled. The screenshot in the bottom right corner (oblivion03.jpg) is showing a different perspective to illustrate why I personally don't like HDR (extreme over-brightness).
The screenshots were taken with FRAPS and converted to JPG at 100% quality (lowest compression). All graphics options set to high BTW except for shadows but none of the in-game gfx options should matter too much anyway in this case because it's a city scene.

Moriendor what resolution did you have the game set on when you took those shots?
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:49 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Same size as the shots ...which is 1280x1024. I left them unchanged except for the conversion from BMP to JPG so sorry about the side-scrolling .
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:53 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Mmmm. I don't see much of a difference between AA off and x2. What kind of video card do you have?
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:23 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

That 2xAA comparison seems off. I noticed a huge difference with 2xAA on in the capital but in those shots its barely effectual (x850XT).

I really don't like the HDR effect - it looks like white crush. A loss of detail in exchange for extreme contrast. I haven't seen it in person though - just screenshots.
Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next