Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
SWG: Most successful launch of an MMO ever...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

SWG: Most successful launch of an MMO ever...

... says Lucas Arts in the following <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/78.html" target="_blanK">press release</a>:<blockquote><em><h3>LUCASARTS' STAR WARS GALAXIES™: AN EMPIRE DIVIDED™ EXPERIENCES MOST SUCCESSFUL MMO LAUNCH EVER</h3> <br> <br><strong>Player Community Shows Unprecedented Growth One Week After Launch; First In-Game Community Event To Be Held This Friday</strong> <br> <br>SAN RAFAEL, Calif. and SAN DIEGO – July 3, 2003 – LucasArts' <strong>Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided</strong>, the first Star Wars massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, experienced unprecedented success in its first week of availability, garnering more than 125,000 users and receiving accolades from gaming press and players alike. <br> <br>To celebrate the successful launch of <strong>Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided</strong>, the development team will hold its first coordinated in-game community building event this Friday, July 4. Planned to coincide with America's Independence Day celebration, the team is encouraging players to commemorate the Star Wars holiday of Unification Day by creating and launching fireworks within the game at predetermined locations every hour. More information about this Friday's Unification Day celebration can be found at <a href="http://www.starwarsgalaxies.com/" target="_blank">www.starwarsgalaxies.com</a>. <br> <br>"As evidenced by the incredible player turnout during the first week, the launch of <strong>Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided</strong> was the single most successful introduction of an MMO to date," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "The game has broken all previous records for first week subscription totals, which bodes very well for the ongoing success of the game." <br> <br>"<strong>Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided</strong> is the fastest selling MMO in history," says John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "We're ecstatic to be in a position with <strong>Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided</strong> where we can begin to offer events, such as the Unification Day celebration, so soon after launch. Throughout the development and into the launch of the game, the community has continued to grow stronger and more supportive and these types of events are a way for us to say 'thank you' to our players." <br> <br>The <strong>Star Wars Galaxies</strong> development team is working on a variety of new features, such as player-owned ground vehicles and player cities, along with substantial new content to be added on a regular basis throughout the coming months.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:57 am
Test

Sigh

What a load of crap that press release is. Sure they sold a lot of copies because it's called 'Star Wars' something or other, but it hides the fact that it is a bug ridden mess. 2 nights in a row I've been unable to re-login into the game because of the 'ghost world' sync bug, that locks your character into the world and makes you unable to reconnect. Been hitting more and more people everynight too.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:21 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

It was?
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:38 am
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yep

Talk about misleading. Fastest selling? Yes. Most successful? Certainly not technically.

I'd love to see the stats of how many of those 125K people are still playing in 30 days or even 90? Probably not even a 1/4 of them.

SWG = bleh.
SOE in general = bleh
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:19 am
beasty396
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Moriendor, please change the title...
This is really misleading - its their lie, dont make it yours as well.

They managed to pre-sell 500k copies. I am willing to bet that it will be the worst second month ever for an MMO - with most player canceling or demanding their money back.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:32 pm

What a load of crap this is. The most successful launch of any mmog would probably be DAoC
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:29 pm

Test

Yea let's at least be alittle objective instead of giving them more free advertising. Put a question mark at the end of the main title.

SWG: Most successful launch of an MMO ever...???

That would be better, let people decide for themselves... Daoc probably had the best launch of any of these games. AC1 wasn't that bad either, but there was almost no content in that game at launch (but they did add a lot soon after I suppose).
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:46 pm

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

There is no mention of the technical aspect of the launch in the press release. I don't know what everyone has against it... It's mentioning sales alone, and in that regards SWG is the fastest selling MMORPG in the history of the genre. I agree this is a meaningless statistic, and whether the number of sales is a good or bad thing is up for debate, but please don't blow things out of proportion...
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:27 pm

Re: SWG: Most successful launch of an MMO ever...

Ha ha ha .

Obviously they have lost touch with reality .

Poor fellows .
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:29 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I don't see why I should change the headline. It's pretty much the title of the press release and I've added three dots "..." to make it clear that the headline is continued in the newsbit body. I've also made it clear that it is Lucas Arts who are saying that this is the most successful launch ever, not anyone else.
I really don't see where it's misleading, except if you're wearing your "I-hate-SOE-and-Lucas-Arts" glasses - Take them off. It might help .
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:37 pm
beasty396
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am sorry, but as objective as I try to be - your title doesnt read right.
It sounds as a fact and not as a quote, hence my remarks as for being misleading.

But no worries. I have faith in the intellect of the community.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:10 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What a bunch of shit. Neither SOE nor Lucasarts has any shame.

olaf
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:11 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Typical press-release that geared more toward advertising purpose and tries to get the remaining fence sitter to buy the game. Especially for less informed buyers, that press release sound awfully nice.

It is not the first and the last time we'll see this.

Of course, you could say Lucas Arts = braggart.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:32 am
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

It must indeed be a record launch for 125,000 subscribers to be locked out of the game on the first day, and for a considerable number to be denied access to their chosen character thereafter.

How can they possibly claim that they have launched a special event so soon after launch when all they've done is ask players to set off some fireworks? Moreover, they keep stressing how they want this game to be a full role-playing one across all the servers yet the first thing they do is ask everyone to celebrate a real-life event ingame - and a real-life event at that which only means anything to one part of their international playerbase.

The game has its attractions, and it offers long-term potential if they can sort out a lot of issues including server caps and weak combat, and add a lot more purposeful content, but whether it will retain the interest of die-hard Star Wars fans when there's very little Star Wars atmosphere to it is another matter.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:19 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Typical press-release that geared more toward advertising purpose and tries to get the remaining fence sitter to buy the game. Especially for less informed buyers, that press release sound awfully nice.

It is not the first and the last time we'll see this.

Sheesh! There are some funny posts here! Erm... a press realease IS marketting and advertisement! We WILL see more, yes, as we do of ALL the MMORPGs out there... Nothing new here, really. Why the indignation!

And besides, the news post was reflecting what Lucasarts said, not RPGDot. Don't kill the messenger. A news bit is not about criticizing a company's statement. It's just supposed to relay the news. We commenters do a good enough job at criticizing
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next