FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind vs. NWN: Battle of RPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Ammon777

OK this is worth my time: a few of the strengths of Morrowind, game of the century according to a Researcher that has Read the Previews and Other Stuff (tm), are:

1) exceptional graphics (everyone knows that) with 3rd and 1st person viewpoints -- this is what should be standard for PC games, but sadly is not; every new game should raise the bar on graphical quality, for the sake of technology and FOR the consumer. This is happening, but its relatively slow. Morrowind pushes it in the right direction. It has the best graphics of any game, in any genre, to date. Simply da best! NWN is good graphics, but not as good as Morrowind -- i will not refrain to point that out. At best NWN appears to look like Dungeon Seige, perhaps a tad better.

2) excellent gameplay; the previews all claim this.

3) advanced Artificial Intelligence; i gleaned from AI and cyborgology classes in university that the key to good AI is realism and functionality, not necessarily intelligence (yet!); as far as i can tell, the AI in Morrowind is by far the most sophisticated in any game to date i have seen, perhaps rivaling what has been done in the old LISP language.

4) freedom of gameplay; freeform RPGs can be overwhelming, but i LOVE to be overwhelmed by a game -- makes the future brighter, much to do, so little time obviously this game is not for the impatience of the twitchy counterstrike player.

5) a direct result of Freeform gameplay is detail and complexity; both of these things result in more realism, such as a thief sneaking past the same guard might be caught if he is not concealed enough in shadows.

6) a vast and amazing storyline. nuff said. kudos to the writers.

7) detailed quests with variety.

most importantly, is what i call World-Variable Sophistication (tm); this means that the programmers and designers appear to have developed, apart from the graphics engine and gameplay code, a vast GameWorld Operating System that is endowed with TONS of variables and randoms. Variables in programming can represent anything, and a hallmark of a complex and robust engine is the amount of variables which represent Mundane Things (tm, haha) within the world, such as gravity, water tables, weather, wind, time, PC variables, random factors, ect. I do not believe NWN is nearly as sophisticated as Morrowind's world -- no contest!

9) the Toolset... i have a suspicion that Morrowind's toolset will be better than NWN, just because the overall game is better and because of the vastness of Morrowind, while NWN appears to me to be a beefed-up D&D equivalent of dungeon seige.

-- i would like to write more but i am wanting to read more about MW so thats all i have to say for now...

CONLUSION: Morrowind will be way better than NWN, *unless* the gaming community takes the multiplayer aspect of NWN to a new level, which i seriously have my doubts because of all the cheaters out there who like to ruin the game for everyone they find; while NWN *might* be *bigger* than Morrowind, i seriously doubt NWN will be *better* than Morrowind.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:37 pm

Ammon777

but thats just my opinion
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:41 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Ammon777 why don´t you join us?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:44 pm
Ammon777

join you doing what?
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:46 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hehehe

sorry dumb question... i joined! but most of the time i play games, hehe

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:10 pm
Double-Joker

both

Just get both of them, sure your life will eventually turn into non-sleep zombiesh state, but their both too good to pass on.
Ill be starting off with morrowind, because i have no singel player rpgs that are really good, and plus id love to see all the reactions n stuff of civilians n such. Plus i will most likely play NWM for the mutiplayer alone. So they kinda even themselfs, get Morrowind for single player, and NWM for Multiplayer
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:38 pm

Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sounds like you are basically stating that MW is basically the same as NWN.

1. Both are story, and freedom oriented.

2. MW has slightly better graphics.

3. MW is sp; while NWN is both sp and mp.

4. NWN is 3rd person overview; while MW is both 3rd, and 1st person.

5. Both can be used to create long term capmpaigns.

6. Both have advanced AI, and great gameplay.

7. NWN is dnd based; while MW is Daggersfall based.

Both games should be good; but NWN gets the edge in my book due to it being dnd, mp, and with less of a chance of being buggy. The only advantage MW has is graphics which is like the 10th most imprtant thing to me. It does have a choice of 1st or 3rd person view; while NWN doesn't, and I say choice is always a good thing. Personally, I have a great dislike for 1st person so that doesn't bother me. However, NWN hives a choice for sp, or mp which MW doesn't which adds to its playability. NWN's creators also promise that its system will be both advanced but relatively easy to use which is a great thing. Meanwhile; MW promises an advanced system but will probably be very complicated. Not a good thing.

In conclusion, I am definitely going to purchase NWN (my mind was already made up). I MIGHT purchase MW if it lives up to everybody's expectations, and its nowhere near as buggy as its predecesors in the series.

Thanks for all your time.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:47 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Volourn
I MIGHT purchase MW if its nowhere near as buggy as its predecesors in the series.

It isn't. As much as I hate these "Which unreleased game is better?" Threads, I have to defend Morrowind here. Every reviewer and her sister has raved about how bug free MW is (even, oddly enough, one review that didn't even like the game!).

Ok--off you go to finish discussing which is better, "Game I haven't touched A" or "Game I haven't touched B", Y'all have fun!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:55 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, I'm going to get both.

First of all I've been waiting for NWN for almost 3 years now never paid much attention to Morrowind since I never played Arena & Daggerfall much.

NWN: I like D&D and the Forgotten Realms setting and has never been disappointed with Bioware games so I was never in any doubts about this one. I'm a fan of the isometric view so I'm happy with the new engine.

Morrowind: Don't know much about the setting but the graphics & open-ended story sounds to good to be missed. I can't remember a RPG with FPV that I enjoyed but the game also includes a option for 3rd person so it will proberbly be similar to Gothic, which I thought was a great game.

Both games seem to take up a lot of time so it's kinda bad that they are released in the summer.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:04 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by stealth
I can't remember a RPG with FPV that I enjoyed but the game also includes a option for 3rd person so it will proberbly be similar to Gothic, which I thought was a great game.

Have you tried Might & Magic IX? It has a FPV and I think it's really fun! I almost didn't try it because it looked like Wizardry 8, but I've been forcing myself to give new games a chance.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:37 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

No I haven't played M&M IX. The reviews and previous experience with the series didn't really encourage me.

I know a lot of people out there prefer FPV but among my favourite RPG’s not a single one uses this. To be fair I haven’t really given FPV much change. Even though it shouldn’t be that important I just can’t ignore a game using dated or poor graphics especially when FPV RPG’s looks a lot like the FPS out there. That and the fact IMHO combat often looks stupid in FPV is the main reason for me not liking FPV in RPG’s.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:42 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Hmmm... that's interesting, I don't really have a preference on the view. I also thought I didn't like the FPV because of Wizardry 8 but after getting into M&M I realize that it wasn't the view it was the game. I also didn't think I liked the Top Down view until DS made me realize that it wasn't necessarily the view again!

As far as graphics go, it seems to me that RPG makers often use the isometric (that's 'Top Down' like NWN, right?) view as an excuse to skimp on graphics. Look at Arcanum, it's a recent game with a top down view and graphics that the developer should be ashamed of. Most of the time I see RPG fans rating graphics as the least important game feature--probably because of this developers' habit. Also, I think the combat looks dumb in every RPG except Gothic.

FPS games are the games with most advanced graphics IMHO. Shooters are the genre that is specifically pushing the envelope for graphics, each new one has to be flashier than the last one or it doesn't sell. Maybe if RPG developers were under that kind of pressure the graphics wouldn't be an issue anymore.

You're right, the combat animations in M&M IX could be better. Actually, all the animations could be done much better. It looks like Might & Magic is hand animated, I don't think they used motion capture at all. That fact alone gives the animations an amateurish quality that I'm not used to seeing in a FPV. M&M probably isn't right for you, like you said. It's just a game that I like so I pointed it out.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:29 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Thanks Gig for the input. I appreciate you taking the time discussing the issue.

I know a said the graphics pays a lot in my opinion but then again I don't know. I consider the Bioware games as having great graphics. Some don't agree with this. Also I don't think Arcanum looks that great but it's still a great game.

I guess it must be personal then. I just can't put my finger on what wrong. I mentioned the combat earlier as the main reason. I'm pretty excited about Morrowind. I'll try playing it in 1. Person (when I get my hands on it ) and I'll tell you what I fell. If ever there is a game that's going to change my mind it has to be this.

I also wanted to add something.

You're right about people playing RPG's listing graphics as less important. RPG's take a lot longer to make than an FPS so naturally graphics have a tendency to look dated but still you should expect games to look better than M&M 6-7 did.

I just remembered a RPG (if you agree with system Shock 2 being a RPG)that uses FPV. The graphics are not great but it’s still OK. The story though and the atmosphere is simply amazing. System Shock is SCI-FI though and I must say that hand-to-hand combat is a little awkward which is what fantasy RPG's is all about. It a bit bad just blaming it all on the combat and it's just annoying that it can't find a better argument for not liking FPV RPG's. If I don't like Morrowind then it must be me that's the "problem".

EDIT: Fixed! -Val
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:36 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
RPG's take a lot longer to make than an FPS so naturally graphics have a tendency to look dated but still you should expect games to look better than M&M 6-7 did.

I'm not familiar with either of those games, I've only seen M&M IX but I think the graphics are a little weak there as well.

I'm excited about Morrowind too, It's nice that it can be played in either 1st or 3rd. Third person, like in Gothic, is my favorite view perspective. I know I said I didn't have a preference, but, for some reason I was only including FPV and Top Down as views.
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:13 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
I just remembered a RPG (if you agree with system Shock 2 being a RPG)that uses FPV. The graphics are not great but it’s still OK. The story though and the atmosphere is simply amazing. System Shock is SCI-FI though and I must say that hand-to-hand combat is a little awkward which is what fantasy RPG's is all about. It a bit bad just blaming it all on the combat and it's just annoying that it can't find a better argument for not liking FPV RPG's. If I don't like Morrowind then it must be me that's the "problem".

In my eyes SS2 was a RPG (but then I'm all into hybrid games). See, I don't like iso 3D at all unless gameplay and atmosphere make up for it, and I was really disappointed when I saw Gothic for the first time that it was 3rd person view and not 1st.
It all depends on the game as a whole, even though I have to admit that I probably won't buy another iso 3d game even though I loved Torment... unless a store clerk talks me into doing so (like with Torment ).
Keeping all this in mind and the fact that I loved Daggerfall and Redguard, I know I'll get Morrowind but - in all probability - not NWN.
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:21 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2