Usergroups
theif 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Ral-Jiktar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thief 2 was good because it added more than a simple steal and kill. it roved the killing.

The point of thief is to do your objectives wit th less deaths possible.
That was fantastic. I loe it, Gaaret is one of my Favorite Anti-heros. Dark, misterios, Strong minded, Arogant, Selfis.
I love it and cant wait for thief 3. it is going tobe the most Advanced Sneaking game ever. Its new AI is maginificent.

www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ral-jiktar
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:44 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

About Thief 1 vs. 2 - Generally I preferred zombies from Thief 1 than all this "metal" stuff that they put into Thief 2. For me, it just doesn't fit there.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:59 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I don't Know why But I've never get through level 1 in Thief 1 and I like the game but uninstalled it for that.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:56 pm
fleabitfox
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah.. Thief! *sigh*

Well, I am going to post a fairly long post, because I wish they would make a game like one that I am going to go over. I loved Thief, and Thief II.. and wish they would take it a step further, or two. Here is a game I envision:

Non linear. One large walled city. Just one city, including an underground sewer system, and perhaps some underground tombs. One city because you are a city thief of course, and don't need the nastiness of outdoor adventuring.

Unlike many MMORPGs or large CRPGs like Morrowind, since there will be at most, a hundred or two hundred dwellings, they can be done with much greater detail. Each home, store, warehouse, etc.. would be quite well detailed and different. Detailed as in some may have hidden hollows under a wooden floor, or safes behind pictures. All decorated different. Artwork and items will have values that perhaps an appraisal skill could help determine if they were worth pilfering. Steal from a home or business, and the next time, dogs or other forms of protection might be in place. Some homes will change over time. If someone moves out, and someone else moves in.. new items, and new persons will live there. You could steal something of sentimental value, and then send a letter their way, bribing them to give it back.

You would start out a freelance thief, but would quickly move to working for one of several agents. A thieves guild would be the most common choice, but working for the assassins guild, or perhaps even for the mayor of the town, to further his ends. As a guild member, you would start at the bottom, doing jobs, giving the majority of your earning back to the guild, earning your way up. As you moved up in rank, your duties would change. Simple robberies would turn into trailing and spying, or stealing from richer game, or planting bogus evidence to implicate someone else.. there are plenty of scenarios I could think of, to make it challanging and fun. I would think that depending on who in the guild you ask work from (starting with only a few options.. you are only a starting snot nosed thief after all), would determine the sort of job you would get, from pickpocketing to pilfering.

You eventually could move up to run the guild itself, which would open more possibilities.. lots of them. You could assign jobs, and carry out the most important ones yourself. More options such as forgery, trade agreements with thieves guilds from other cities (you could expand your empire.. even assign thieves in your guild to work to take over others, in other cities), dealing with royality, etc.. would be available.

I would hope such a game would be skill based. The skills you practice would improve them. If you are assigned to work a street and pickpocket for an afternoon, you would raise your skill for each success. Prepare to run if you fail! Later in your career as a thief, your skills will determine the sorts of jobs you would be assigned to more often. Skills could include such things as forgery, pickpocket, bribery, lying (a skilled thief should be able to lie with a glib tongue and a smile on their face), different skills for different weapons use, poison making, trailing and stalking, rooftop climbing (rooftop access would be important in this game.. as would be climbing.. finally, you don't see this in many CRPGs sadly enough), acrobatics, disguise, burglary and general pilfering, lock picking of course, safecracking.. so on and so forth, I can think of many great skills that would make up a succesful thief.

There would probably be a main storyline or two of course, in the game.. that one could follow if they like (or actually may not have a choice). While there might be some creatures in the sewers occasionaly, and perhaps a few more in the tombs, most of your exploits would be with humans or other races that might wander into the city. NPC reactions and memories would be important. Realistic lives for the NPC would also be important, such as their schedules, habits are, etc.. so as a thief, you could realisticly react. For instance.. you could trail someone to learn their schedule over a couple of days, and then plan a robbery (of their person, or their home or business) around it.

There is a lot more I can think of I would love in a game like this. It would I suppose, be a mix between the Thief games and the Arena games, like Morrowind and Daggerfall. Magic? Maybe.. but in a minor form. Probably mostly in magical items, which you could sell or use.

Probably a huge pipdream.. but this is a game I would LOVE to see created someday, or something like it. The ideas are copywrited to me, not like it matters.. no one would probably take them seriously, or make such a game.. =)

But for all the detailed worlds being created, I would think this possible. Instead of the huge gameworlds so many companies seem to be creating these days, it would be wonderful, IMO.. if they could make a smaller gameworld, but wonderfully detailed, both in characters you meet, and in the homes and everyday items and skills you use and interact with.

Ok.. feel free to blast away, I'm sure this sort of post will get plenty of ridicule.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:34 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

flea your idea is bad ass i'd love to play that game ...
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:38 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

For those interested, a Thief 1 and 2 bundle is now available for sale in some game shops (I saw one in Electronic Boutique a few days ago) and Amazon.com for $20 US. I've ordered one off of Amazon.com.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:45 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Bad ass deal ... thief 1 really created a totally new way of playing FPS games ... AWESOME sound! great use of sound as a real game mechanic ...
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:13 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2