Usergroups
Gothic = a product of bugs and bad programming code
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Frankly speaking I have never had any problems with stability of games in win98se. If well configured and tweaked, with matured drivers, this "system" (overally it's still microsoft ) runs stable and fast with anything you want to run on them (from simple winamp to visual studio and office, a ll at the same time). Speed of games is the same or better than in win2000 (from my and my friends' point of view). Compatibility is better than in win2000 and much better than in win xp. Win xp is, facelifted and loaded with useless features, win2000 (imho).

Maybe you had some serious problems with hardware ?

Anyway you lost some great game
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:05 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

That's great red dog! We're happy that you're happy..

To anyone else that is having these issues, I have one simple phrase for you..

"Nobody is MAKING you play the game!!!"

As for me, gothic ran quite smoothly, and I didn't even experience the minor winch jamming bug that is so prevalent. I must say, I played through and had only a couple of times where things were not quite right.. A far cry from most other games, where I have had to tweak the options to meet my system. My rig is far from a monster, but it's not shabby, either..and usually, will run games with no major glitches. Gothic met or exceeded my expectations in gameplay, story, graphics, and quality overall..

If it wasn't the same for you, sorry...get over it! I hated Empire Earth...it crashed my system numerous times, but I didn't go to the Empire Earth discussion board and flame the damn game...how juvenile..anyway, adios pal...see you later in some lame ass FPS that any trained monkey with a fast mouse clicking finger could play..

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:05 am
red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh really, so you think Gothic is the best game ever made then I guess? You call first person shooters and third person adventure games "lame-ass"? Well I got news for you. Go to http://www.gamerankings.com and check the overall rating that game review sites have given Gothic: 78.92%. Not very impressive if you ask me. Now let's see what those games I mentioned got:

-Return to Castle Wolfenstein: 87.48%
-American McGee's Alice: 84.05%
-Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: 91.90%

Hmmm, seems like your beloved Gothic doesn't measure of to those games you call "lame-ass". Do yourself a favor newbie, and GET A CLUE!!

And by the way, Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights are going to put Gothic to shame.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:42 am
Zachariah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i think most comments here can be divided into three sections:
[1]Those that like Gothic
[2]Those that dislike Gothic
[3]Those that feel mislead by the 'min req'
[4]Those that feel the game is 'bug ridden'

The response to [1]:
Great! Enjoy!I like it,even if there are a couple of glitchy sections.
The response to [2]:
Sorry about that,choose another and see if you like that one.Better still, find someone who will let you try the game before you buy it.
The response to [3]:
That,surely,is down to them to return the game.
The response to [4]:
If any of you remember when Doom and even Quake first emerged they too, had teething troubles.I n fact the first Castle Wolfenstein was buggy as hell.These things take time,it comes after all from a new company,give them a chance.

[ This Message was edited by: Zachariah on 2002-01-31 20:02 ]
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:48 am

Okay. I've been lurking for awhile. I just have one thing to say.

Why in the blue HELL are you guys fighting over the game? If you want to complain about Gothic, make a fusking Gothic complaint forum or something. The point is, I picked up the game on the shelf, read the features, and fell in love with it. The graphics don't have to be everything, hell some MUDS even interest me. And I really am not am RPG fan. Yet I've played Gothic, and just beat it tonight. I have to admit the ending I got was kind of lame, and some thing's got a bit boring near the end. But that game had some things I have never seen before. It was simply beautiful. If you had any respect for programmer's at all you'd notice everything they've added. They made the game in German, then took an assload of time to convert it to English. And spent so much time making this game, wondering if they'd actually be able to fit so much into it and make it work right. If you ask me they did an amazing job, and the few minutes I have to wait for it to load up, the few times it's crashed on me, are worth it to have such a game with beautiful gameplay.

I'm going to tell you right now, I hate Final Fantasy. So when I saw the graphics on Final Fantasy 10, I still hated it. The gameplay in FF7/8 I hated. but once I played Gothic, and saw it's simultaneous play. It was beautiful... I admit it would have been great to have formed an army and maybe had a war with the orcs before the ending. And I thought it might end up like that. But still, this type of RPG just reels you in and makes you play... You have your opinion, I have mine. I love Gothic and I thank everyone who was involved in creation of the game for their hard work. If you don't like it, tough smurf's. Sell it and buy something with amazing graphics that you do like. But the point is, this is the Gothic forum, to discuss issues about Gothic. Not how much more poor it's graphics are to Wolfenstien. Swallow your Freaking pride and enjoy a game without criticizing it's bad fusking points.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:00 am

UrbanNinjah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry if I'm late. Let me introduce myself. I am the flaming machine. I noticed a few things in one of Red dog's posts that are really flamable.

" For those of you that think Gothic has a right to be more demanding on a computer than Return to Castle Wolfenstein just because Gothic has some gay AI, well guess what? RTCW has plenty of AI too, and on top of that RTCW has graphics far far more advanced than Gothic and pushes probably 50 times the polygon of Gothic. "

Lets start with his immediate mention of Return to castel watchacalit. I find it interesting how he thinks Gothic players give a damn about some other game. This is a message board for Gothic. Don't talk about other stupid things.

"I have a top of the line system I built myself with the best parts: blah blah blah Every one of my games run super fast and flawless. "

Here the idiot begins letting us know about the system specs of his brand new computer which includes the "best parts." My god, we are all suddenly so inferior because he has the "best parts." He then goes on to name the "best parts." Like anyone gives a shit. But watch the bold text. Now check this next quote out:

"I run Windows XP and Gothic has major problems on XP despite what any of you newbies say."

Did he not just say all of his games run perfect? Something's not right! Anyway. I can infer from his post that he believes "newbies" say Gothic running XP does not "have major problems." Well, if some people do not experience problems, and others do, then these are facts. You take these facts and process them into useful information. Send the information to the developer with the request for a patch. You do not, however, call the other people names and tell them they are lying. That's silly.

"Gothic was made by some unknown little software developer named Piranha Bytes or something, that alone explains why the game is not very well made. "

All game developers are "unknown little software developers" in the begining. They make something awsome and gain popularity. Happens every day. And are their games all "not very well made?" Some of them are rock solid, some have a few bugs. You can't relate the reputation of the developer to the stability of the videogame.

"If you want to see state-of-the-art, then go download the Return to Castle Wolfenstein single player demo."

If you like this return of whatever so much, why don't you go play it instead of posting garbage on the forums of another game?

"Technically, Gothic is a joke compared the the other new big name 3D PC games out there."

You, my friend, are a joke.

"And just because you newbies are running Win98 on some weak systems, and Gothic happens to be compatible with them, doesn't mean it's a state-of-the-art PC game"

What does running a particular OS have to do with the quality of said videogame? And you should remember that XP is not without its flaws, and Windows 98 still has the best compatibility of all operating systems. Most games are made with Win98 in mind. And by most, I mean all.

"So you newbies, go learn something about software development, what state-of-the-art means, and get a clue."

Here we go again with the name calling. Name calling is an brilliant gift given to us by the generations before us, and should be used to provide maximum entertainment at the cost of another person's pride. However, one of the rules of name calling is to not to use the same name twice. You, my little elite haxor friend who knows all about computers(dork, for short) should stop using the word "newbie" as much as you have as it seems to be limiting your ability to make the other person seem inferior. As a matter of fact, it only makes you seem like the fool.

My flame I hope you like it. http://www.shyve.net <--shameless website plug.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:19 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

"If you want to see state-of-the-art, then go download the Return to Castle Wolfenstein single player demo."

Oh I have, and while it it has the AI complexity of a single Shadow Beast from Gothic it was still a so-so 3D shooter. I was able to play the full game at a friends house, and beat it during my first play session in roughly 10 hours on normal difficulty.

I beat Gothic on my first run through after putting ~80 hours into the game.

I payed $29.99 for Gothic
My friend payed $49.99 for Wolfenstein

He wants Gothic now, and I still have no interest in Wolfenstein.

You keep bringing up games that have nothing in common with Gothic, as if you're trying to prove a point.

Your system simply cannot handle the strain that Gothic puts on it, sorry your "best parts" aren't good enough, because my simple 800mhz Ahtlon with a voodoo5 and 512 megs RAM is running the game without a problem.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:42 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

ya know who this guy reminds me of???

herxx.....

any who have read his posts will know what i mean..he flames the game on it's own forums (no, not limited only to Gothic) and then keeps insulting the forum users who respond...in essence, starting a flame war... just something to think about..

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:44 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Windows update(xp) has new drivers for nvidia, dunno if it's better or not, i've counted only 1 bug from Gothic, but anyways i'm running at low end comp.

Low end comp(nowdays 486sx )
1.2 amd
512mb ram (only 133mz!)
geforce2 mx 400
and bla bla bla

And i happened to be hardcore 3d action gamer (ever since wolfenstein 3d released) then one day my friend introduced this frikkin Gothic game to me, it was like hitting my head with basebat, it just got me addicted badly, only thing that i could complain is that, it was too short!
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:32 am

red_dog_1515 was fucked by MUD and now is angry on whole world and his asshole hurts less now when his money is back and he can afford vaseline becouse all his money is in that erection dream machine.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:59 am

red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Llama, we all know your 800 mhz P.O.S. is the ultimate dream machine. LOL!!

WOW!! If I was able to run a "high-tech" game like Gothic on a P.O.S. Voodoo 5 and some P.O.S. 800 Mhz Athlon, I would be bragging too!! LOL!! Come to think of it, I don't think Doom 1 is compatible on Win XP either. Oh no, it must be that WIn XP is not advanced enough for it and/or my lowly Athlon 1900 XP+ can't handle a game as advanced as Doom 1. Nope, only dream machines like your P.O.S. 800 Mhz Athlon can handle such high demanding, ultra state-of-the-art games!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to go back to playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein with everything turned to max, Quincunx Anti-Aliasing, 8x Anisotropic filtering, 1600 X 1200 at 80+ FPS on my lowly Athlon 1900 XP+.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You newbies make me laugh.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now on a serious note, if Piranha Bytes releases a patch for that P.O.S. Gothic to run properly on Win XP (they probably never will), then I MIGHT consider purchasing it again, because I gotta admit that it was kind of fun playing Gothic when I used to run that P.O.S. Win 98SE.

And by the way UrbanNinjah and Anonymous, you two can go suck an egg.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:46 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:

On 2002-01-31 10:30, Llama wrote:
"In Gothic you have a living breathing world, where people whether you see them or not, walk around, TALK with eachother, do daily functions, bath, drink, eat, go to the bathroom, animals stroll about the woods, get hunted by larger predator animals, and life generally keeps on moving whether you're there to see it happen or not."

I am very unclear why you (and many others who mention this) feel that this is the way Gothic works??? I don't believe this is happening at all - nothing is happening in software except for the area immediately surrounding you. I suspect it is a bit more than we visually see (for nearby sounds, etc.) but NOT the entire world. Try this and watch carefully - run away from a group of guards or whatever and then sneak up slowly watching carefully. What you will see in most cases is they suddenly are "spawned" at their spot and go through (in many cases) a small "shuffling movement" to get into their proper position for your advance. They are NOT constantly being moved, etc. while you are away - they are merely set into motion when you come near doing whatever is deemed appropriate at the time of day you arrive. Some don't even do that - many just stand in their spot all the time. I am not knocking the game, but this world is NOT constantly being dealt with by software calculations.

"With the hundereds and hundereds of NPC's AI to keep track of, each having their own daily tasks, and hundereds and hundereds of enemies to keep track of, again each one of them having their own AI, it kinda puts a strain on a computer processor."

Again, nope - it is just handling those around you. Wonderful AI???? Let's see, after I killed the Rice Lord and his cronies - all the peasants kept coming back to pick every day - apparently oblivious of his death. After I killed a few of them, they ran away - and just kept coming back until I killed them all - I didn't have to move an inch as their "wonderful AI" kept them coming back to me to face death. You can kill a guard and after a little sleep, everybody forgets you did this heinous act - great AI!!!

"Halo for the Xbox is the next closest thing, and guess what, it's capped at 30 fps, just 5 more than Gothic."

I am not complaining about the fps of this game (many are) - but why does everybody seem to think it is capped at 20 or 25? I frequently get frame rates up around 38 and I don't have an amazing system by any means (Pentium III 550, 500 meg ram).

"Top quality means large persistant worlds, with several hundereds NPC's, and several hundered enemies/monsters/animals wandering about doing what an animal does."

Don't get me wrong - I loved the game. BUT! None of the animals actually wander around doing what an animal does - they stand there waiting for you to come along to kill them. Name a single animal that actually runs away (and then avoids you like an animal really does).

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:55 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

hehe
Red Dog go get laid bud.
In your 11 posts all you've done is shown this entire board how bitter you are. Its an ugly picture. You need to switch to decaf or go back to doom or quake where your pc will shine for you again.
Apparently Gothic is not for you, its bug-filled (LOL) and not worth your valuable time. Hey I hear Serious Sam is great great reviews!! New guns d00d!! new bullets
Sounds like hours of mindless, PC-friendly fun...go knock yourself out
And get the chip off the shoulder HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
d00d
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:28 pm
red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic's graphics engine and compatibility is really really great.

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:51 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Now, now. Calm down, all of you. Okay, so Red Dog wants us to believe that he has serious personality problems, his real name is, in all probability, Gregor, but please, if he insists on being a troll and doesn't listen at all to what people say/write, just let him be.

BTW, I love Serious Sam. It's pretty BS, funnily brainless and very relaxing. Oh, and Doom Legacy (the GL version of WinDoom) runs nicely under XP.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:04 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next