Daggerfall
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Thread
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I once got the Abandonware version of Daggerfall to work on XP.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:42 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
I tried to install the game (again!) on my Windows XP Pro machine, but I just can't get it to work. I'm actually thinking about upgrading my system to Windows 95. At least that OS could run a few programs.

What are your specific specs? Maybe we could help you out. Installing Win95 may not be your best solution you know.
I am playing MW in Win XP Pro and am having no issues at all (except the occasional bug, of course )
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:10 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I found this great program yesterday called VMWare that lets you run a different OS under XP. The program itself it a little expensive, but it lets you try it for free for 30 days, so I'm gonna check it out at least. I installed MS-DOS 6.22 last night, as an emulator! It was really neat, but I couldn't get sound to work when I tried Ultima Underworld 2 (which, btw, doesn't work at all under XP either). I'm gonna borrow a Win 95 cd from someone and try emulating that too tonite.

Ps. Morrowind works fine for me (except crashes). It is Daggerfall that doesn't work!
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:18 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I am playing MW in Win XP Pro and am having no issues at all

He is trying to get Daggerfall to work.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:16 pm
3DFanatic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I hate to be the fly in the Daggerfall lovefest ointment but IMO DF was, and still is just too buggy to bother with. I bought DF the day it came out and had fun for about an hour, when it inexplicably crashed. Little did I know that that was going to be the norm for that game.

I faithfully downloaded every patch that Bethesda came out with for the next several months but they never really fixed the crash problem. Sure, it had some great moments - like Kendrick said, Daggerfall ghosts scaring the crap out of you at night, owning your own boat, snow - but there were also:

- crashing problems
- clipping problems
- 320 x 200 graphics (or was it 320 x 240? Either way - ugh)
- broken quests
- falling into 'the void' - a lot!
- huge dungeons that took forever to explore (this might be a + for some people)
- a 3D map that could be terribly confusing
- two-dimensional character/static graphics
- towns that all looked the same
- monotonous quests (there's a rat/bat/bear in my house - kill it!)

... well, that's enough I guess. I desperately wanted to like DF, but it just had too many problems.

Also, for folks who aren't playing DF now but did several years ago - be careful that you are not just being overly nostalgic and remembering only the good times. It is very hard, IMO, to go back and really enjoy an old game, no matter how much you loved it.

For instance, Duke Nukem was one of my favorite games years ago. I just couldn't get enough of it. It was very innovative for its time and had a fun main character to play. Well, I fired it up last year for old times sake, and you know, it seemed kinda lame. Same thing with Doom, Quake, Test Drive, Falcon 3.0, and a whole slew of other games. I know I'm mixing genres here, but for me, it doesn't matter whether it was an RPG, FPS, flightsim or whatever.

The bottom line for me is that I just can't enjoy an old game that has ugly, blocky graphics, is full of bugs and crashes all the time. Daggerfall is that kind of game. I personally would not screw up my perfectly good XP machine just to play Daggerfall. IMO, it's simply not worth the effort.

Having said all that, more power to ya, Mattius! Let us all know if you get it running and how well you enjoy it.

And to The Hurricane - if I still had my copy, I'd happily give it to you. Unfortunately, it's been buried somewhere in the local dump for a couple of years. Hmmm... sounds like an interesting real-life roleplaying quest: "Travel to the Town Dump. Using your pick and shovel, uncover the Daggerfall box that was tossed in there so long ago. Inside, you will find a blessing - or is it a curse?"
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:24 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sooo buggyyy

I loved Daggerfall till i reached a point where the game wouldn't acknowledge the completion of a main plot quest. Then I quit...too may hours invested to simply start over. i got tired of getting stuck in the wall (same as in Arena).
Night WAS creepy, though. Probably unrealistic for all those mosters to be in the city streets everynight OTOH.
Also, I REALLY enjoyed the ability to crawl up the sides of buildings...
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:56 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by 3DFanatic
I faithfully downloaded every patch that Bethesda came out with for the next several months but they never really fixed the crash problem. Sure, it had some great moments - like Kendrick said, Daggerfall ghosts scaring the crap out of you at night, owning your own boat, snow - but there were also:

- crashing problems
- clipping problems
- 320 x 200 graphics (or was it 320 x 240? Either way - ugh)
- broken quests
- falling into 'the void' - a lot!
- huge dungeons that took forever to explore (this might be a + for some people)
- a 3D map that could be terribly confusing
- two-dimensional character/static graphics
- towns that all looked the same
- monotonous quests (there's a rat/bat/bear in my house - kill it!)

Oh, I remember the bad sides of the game too. It's not like anyone who ever played Daggerfall can forget about those horrendous dungeons.. (I still wake up in the middle of the night, screaming)

But it had something.. special. I did play it recently. Last christmas, at my mom's house. She has an older computer and I noticed that it was downloadable from the underdogs, so I thought what the heck. And yes, the graphics were worse than I had remembered (although the dungeon graphics isn't all that bad), but it didn't crash anymore. And I was smarter now (hrmm) and learnt to avoid falling into the void. After a while I actually managed to learn how to read those 3D maps too!

One day I decided to try to visit EVERY town in one of the lands, and imagine my surprise when I noticed that some towns did show signs of "human hands".. I accidently found the game's largest Mage Guild.. I found one town that had a speaker's corner, complete with a podium and a lot of benches.. You had to look real hard to find them, but there were some special cities.

Just too bad the main quest was so easy to break. That was what stopped me from playing this time. But one day.. I'm gonna beat you, Daggerfall!
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:49 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Just too bad the main quest was so easy to break. That was what stopped me from playing this time. But one day.. I'm gonna beat you, Daggerfall!

Have faith - I did eventually manage to complete the game took several tries to get past the broken bits but it was worth it.

Yes I remeber the bugs/graphics/generic nature of most of the places but it was the little things - like the ghosts in Daggerfall (somebody mentioned this seemed unrealistic but it was explained as part of the main quest that these spirits kept rising as long as Lysandus (sp?) remained at unrest). Other moments I liked was when I cam acros the underkings ruins by accident, the nice movie that played if you died, the cool cut scene movies, the ending was brilliant (surprised me) and being a werewolf.

I know that it is dated now and I can see its problems but as I have said in the past I hope elder scrolls 4 takes element from both Daggerfall and Morrowind.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:29 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
And to The Hurricane - if I still had my copy, I'd happily give it to you. Unfortunately, it's been buried somewhere in the local dump for a couple of years. Hmmm... sounds like an interesting real-life roleplaying quest: "Travel to the Town Dump. Using your pick and shovel, uncover the Daggerfall box that was tossed in there so long ago. Inside, you will find a blessing - or is it a curse?"

Straps on his Digger's Boots +1 and dons his Pick Axe of Holy Daggerfall Detecting. But really? Isn't Morrowind, I guess to a lot lesser degree, plagued with these same type of bugs as Daggerfall? Like the "crappy fps even on high end systems" bug? Seriously, I have a Anthlon 1900+ 1.6Ghz, 512mb DDR RAM, and a GeForce3 Ti 500 and I still can't get decent framerates outdoors. Even with the optimizer I still have stuttering outdoors. I hope Behesda fixes this problem in the near future. ...and hopefully TES4 will absent of these problems.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:46 pm
3DFanatic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Kendrik:

Did you actually turn into a werewolf, or were you a wereboar? I vaguely remember that the chances of turning into a werewolf were pretty slim - most people (myself included) became wereboars instead.

Maybe this was straightened out in a later patch...

Anyway, now I'm starting to get nostalgic for Daggerfall (it was kind of fun sneaking up on someone and using your claws to take them out!)
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:06 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well 3DFanatic, in Daggerfall I never managed to become a wereboar... as hard as I tried. I became a werewolf twice though.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:42 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

3DFanatic - yup there was a bug with werewolf bites turning you into wereboars but there must have still been a slim chance as, like Jaz, I definitly turned in to wolf with one character (granted a wereboar with another 5). And the rest became Vampires - apart from the one who completed it who never had the moon or tears of blood dreams (most likely because unlike all the others I didn't set out to specifically catch any of the conditions )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:35 am
Nimue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
Daggerfall is very old for some reason I'm thinking 1996 but I may be wrong.

Nope, you're absolutely correct. Daggerfall came out in 1996. Wish I could find my copy. I'd love to play it again.

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
However has anyone here played Arena - the first in the Elder Scrolls series now that is an old game but even back then there was hints that this series was going to different from anything else out there.

I did! You're right about it being old. It was released on 3.5" diskettes instead of CD. I think it came out in 1994. (Feels strange calling 1994 "old" and "a long time ago" but I suppose it is. Now if you really want old, I played Might and Magic 1 on a Commodore 64.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:17 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, well I played Archon on a Commodore Vic20!! Ha!
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:41 pm
Nimue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Old games

quote:
Originally posted by non-euclid
Yeah, well I played Archon on a Commodore Vic20!! Ha!

You win! I had a TI99/4A, but it never really had any good games.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:07 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next