Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i would sign up as a mod tester if that would be possible
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:11 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Update: Thanks Dadealus. The more people to test, the easier to work out any bugs ( is thier a program called RAID to get rid of them? ). I have a Seeker MOD makes them tougher and thier Dark Cloak armor stronger for you to try out tommorrow I send to you. It is the same game.dat file with the Seeker changed. about 1 Meg file zipped.

I stopped the map exploit in the coming G2Hard MOD. I made the price of the map zero gold. So you can not sell it for money.

Or I can flag him to get upset as the rest of NPC will and not trade with you anymore.

I am finishing up a tutorial on MODing stuff in game. Completed another Seeker MOD which makes them tougher (Jekle request). I can show you how to make the Dark Cloak armor they wear tougher, and change the basic stats and EXP given of the Seeker. All this is in the same game.dat file.

I guess PB had not the time and resources to make an editor as was for G1 I read . But has no problem with someone writing one . Later even a script tool to change even more behaviour and make custom quest.

I am very busy, I am passing out information and files for people to try out tomorrow and get e-mails sent out. We had a nasty thunder storm hit us here in the Midwest and I had to cut down a large tree that fell almost into my house! Check back in the 'MOD Disscusion' thread everyone for a nice post on MODing with hex editor by hand. Not that hard to do once you 'see' the data formats. It is different for each class of things though.

Knowing the formats, I can write an simple n00b editor to change data constants of alot things in game. I used GNU C++ and Windows progamming for GUI; but I am still learning full Visual Basic C++ v7 so not have to work in the MS-DOS windows - always learning something.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:21 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I sent out the Seeker MOD to a few people, I have not heard anything back. Maybe interest will pick up when the US release version is out. I only sent the file to people who want to test the stronger Seeker by asking here or by PM.

I am right now wanting to figure out how the NPC get thier weapons and armor assigned to them. And what items they carry. It has to be scripted somewhere in there.

Well, it is all trial and error. I can do alot right now. After the patch and US version, I would need to re-write the code Mod anyway. The basic patterns will be basically the same; but the editor will have to be modified.

I am just going to use a simple 'look-up' adress writer for data into the file at the known location within game.dat. It might not be the most 'educated' way - but when I learned programming, they still used punch cards. I only know basic C++. Maybe someone else can take it from there and update it with a better GUI for Windows platforms. This one is the public GNU C++ for free off the web and opens a MS-DOS window in Windows. It is a command line utility for now. I bought a book on Programing in Windows in order to get a version of VB7 C++ with a nice GUI.

I still do not fully understand how the id tag numbers releate to the data stored exactly. Maybe after a full list I can see the patterns, but it is all over the place. As if different code/ script was spliced together. Not uncommon for a sequel to use the original engine /data and modify it adding content, it does make it tougher. Each NPC with all stats, items, weapon, armor, fight tactics, etc -thus almost faster to just type them in by hand via a simple look up table.

It will not be valid until Atari finially releases a more permenate Patch and there probably will be a difference in the UK and USA version. I read where Atari really is updating G2 voice acting and small bugs for its release in another source...UK patch will have voices as is, and US will have some voices changed...for the months waiting to release in US, It would be a good excuse -but I am surprise Atari would invest the money to do it. I would have thought they would leave voice (alot of data) the same and one patch for UK and USA version. I do not know...
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:43 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

eeej i still didnt find some other email what accepts the bigger 1 meg file but u can split the file to two peaces like 500kb and 500kb winrar could do that trick heheh
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:41 pm
wk
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Xerxes,
I see you are performing wonders with the hex code. I was wondering if you could change the hero's character attributes to be transformed into a Bloodfly? The spell seems to have been removed in Gothic II. It is possible to "Insert a Bloodfly" in Marvin mode so there must be a monster code for that, so is it the same as if you used the transform spell on yourself?

I apologise if this is not in keeping with your Hard Gothic.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:53 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I do not know how to make the blodfly scroll work. If I understood fully the scripting of how they use the scrolls to turn into other creatures, say the wolf; then just modify the 'wolf' part of the code and put in the stuff (3D wire frame mesh to see model.ASC, attributes, etc) in place of it. So no more wolf transform spell scroll but you could change into a bloodfly instead. I have not looked into that, still mapping out basic data formats documentation and how it is going to change with the patch and USA version.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:18 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sniping monters from distance now will attack you.

Killing off monsters from a distance with range weapons is harder now. I change the Senses Range so they know you are there so no more sniping and killing from a distance without moster running you down. I do not do this to all monsters; you do not want them running into town from sense of smell type monsters range 8000.

Excert:
I found where the dragons perception (senses Range) is stored. It is set at 3500. I changed to 3500 + 4096 =7596. I need to test this and see if the dragons will now chase you down if you are sniping from a distance.

They have Sense 7 which I think maybe smell. If it sight, then they will only see you in front of them, smell is everywhere. ALOT of the main monsters like Orc have this easy to change, they also have 'attack range' to adjust also. Dragon attack range is 700. I think that is how close to you dragon must be to hit you?

I will tell you with some test. If it works, them dragons (and other thing like Orcs if you wish) will sense you there and come chase you down. All ranged weapons in game are almost infinite in reach. Now maybe they will come after you too, instead of standing there and dying.

UPDATE: Increase Sense Range will make them sense and look at you from a farther distance and detect you, but dragons will not chase you down.

I found these statements and values. INNER_RANGE_FIGHT and OUTER_RANGE_FIGHT at 900 and 1000 respectively. Also, RANGE_MAX_CHANCE 80 bb 44 and RANGE_MIN_CHANCE a0 8c 45.

Playing with these numbers and tried to get the dragon to shoot its fireball further; or it changes ranged weapons. I have not had much luck with changing INNER and OUTER range numbers-as if the game does not use them. Odd. I am going to play with the chance to hit for range weapons. I notice magic will hit no matter how far away you are from target. The AI does not code to fire from a long distance I guess. Still experimenting. Nerfing the ranged bow weapons chance to hit at distance, so if you are in range of Dragon to hit, Dragon will attack back.

I would like to change script so Dragon would chase your hit with an arrow or magic would be nice. Scripting behavoiur I have not figured out yet. I made stone dragon arrow immune by setting arrow armor protection to -1.

I want to give Ice Dragon an ICE WAVE attack or something. Fire dragon a more powerful Large Fireball or Large Fire Storm attack? Each of the four Dragons will be immune to one attack Stone Dragon immune to arrows, Fire Dragon immune to fire magic, Undead or Swamp Dragon immune to either Pure magic attack and the other Melee Weapon attack.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:24 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I apologize for asking this question again, but could someone give me a link to a list of insert codes? I want to insert some Black Trolls and some Dragons in the city! I want to insert the undead dragons too! Oh, and a ton of ghost spirits too!

I remember seeing it in a few places, I just can't seem to remember where it was. Thanks for the help!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:47 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I figured out how to change Dragon Spell Rune Weapon!

I figured out how to change what a Dragon spell weapon can be changed. Most spit out a Fireball, Undead Dragon a Deathball. By trial and error, search the data for monster ID -3 offset in backward double word hex code to find the file array for what spell rune is equipped. I gave a Fire Dragon a Deathball! Now, that hurts.

I now know where it is that controls it. Next I want to try different hex numbers in that spot to see what other spells I can cast, find that pattern and I can make any Dragon spit out whatever spell I want. The effects still are the red Fireball.ASM animation, but I think I can rename it in the Dragon script.MDS to replace the Flameball animation with something else. I want to make the Stone Golem spit out a Lighting ball, Fire Dragon a LARGE Fireball spell or Large Fire Storm, and Ice golem a ICE wave spell. Cool?

Oh yes, I messed with that Range OUTER and INNER also RANGEMIN_CHANCE and RANGEMAX_CHANCE you will not be easy (except very high skill) to snipe a Dragon now! I have not made him to chase you; but for you to be in range to hit the Dragon, he will shoot nasty spells at you so you must keep moving on your feet.

@SirDiety Here is the link for Ultimate Insert Code by Linkitch

http://www.wiruz.dk/gothic2.doc
http://www.wiruz.dk/gothic2.htm
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:51 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe well some dragons could not come to chase u like the fire dragon he is like in a hole also the Stone Dragon keep up the great work
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:48 pm
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Other possible modifications...

Ciao Xerses712,

Just some suggestions, of course...

A) I was thinking to another modification. It is not my idea but it comes from Morrowind.

In Morrowind, you have the so-called "leveled" creatures: when you wander outside cities, you may meet monsters which are re-spawned from time to time.

Now, monster type change according to player level to increase the challenge: a low-level player will meet weak monsters, whereas an high-level one will meet stronger ones.

Something similar could be made with G2: AFAIK monsters (may) respawn at the beginning of each chapter, therefore a possible solution would be to respawn stronger monsters, and/or more of them...

Example:

1) starting from chapter II, more orcs should appear close Khorinis, and with them more wargs

2) starting from chapter III, also more skeletons, undead and dragons (the seekers are evoking them)

3) chapter IV should be more or less the same, but the amount of Orcs and Lizard men in VoM should increase... Making the hunt more difficult

4) finally, in chapter V there should be really the idea of having the Orcs closing in the city for the final siege... More and more orcs should appear close Khorinis, eventually overrunning isolated farms

B) I think orcs placed around the castle should always re-spawn after each chapter. This should also make the game more realistic... When I was still in chapter I I managed to enter the VoM without the key and killed all Orcs, but when I entered again in chapter II I found that a lot of orcs where missing...

C) Since I liked the "Orc attack" at the castle, I think there should be a way to make the Orc enter in the castle even if the hero decide NOt to open the gate in chapter V.

Perhaps to have a new NPC which is a traitor guard: when the hero and the guard will chat, the guard will tell the hero is the going to open the gate that very night because orcs have promised him a reward (which is not true, the Orc will kill him as well because he is a sneaky traitor), so the hero may decide to:

1) open himself the gate, to make Orlof happy
2) report the fact to someone (the garrison commander, for example), but alas that guy will not believe the hero, so the traitor will open the gate anyway
3) kill the guard and save the castle

Cheers,

Saruman
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:27 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Saruman1964
I hear you. I would love to script in new things, but without the file decomplied, I can not do stuff like that yet. Some people who know more programming can probavly do it; I am looking at the original Gothic 1 Mod Developement Kit (I can do alot with that but no one plays anymore) to see how or a direction to modify it (it is not encrypted to reverse engineer it) and make changes -write a new one- to work for Gothic 2. Then we can do all them fancy scripts, events, etc.

I can change any VALUE in the game. Such as armor, weapons, health points skills talents combat, etc, and even tweak the AI (I am trying the F8 re-insert/ refresh command to get NPC 'Unstuck' from spot. I can change the script.MDS files which govern behaviour such as letting Orc jump higher which seems to help them not to get stuck so much. There is ALOT of things to be tweaked and see what happens.

I did stop the drapon sniping by changind INNER ranged and Outer range response to be same along with changes to min chance rage hit and max chance range hit numbers. If you can hit with range weapon, so can the dragon hit you back (unless you have the best weapon and dex over 100 you can snipe, -you earned it I guess), you just need to dodge the incoming Fireballs (All I changed to what the Undead dragon uses Death Ball damage 175 magic instead of 60 fire). General stats/armor increase and some immune for each one, it works out pretty good. They are not wimps anymore but fun too.

I made merchants so that if you try the infinite money pump exploit, it can be done, but more dificult. I gave smiths and merchant clothes a higher armor rating and made them NPC tougher, so only a higher level player will beat them up without cheating.

Brahim is still a problem. He has no weapon except fist to hit you for only 5 damage. I can set minumum damage to 0 instead of 5 but that may realy mess with the gameplay. Brahim the map maker can not hit you for a critical hit for alot of damage to you. He is scripted to do something in chapter 3 so I believe he was made this way so he will be around for something if you decide to take it from him. I do not know fully.

I am very slowly figuring out how and what weapons are assigned to each human NPC or humanoid type deamons that wiled weapons also. The I would give Brahim a nice weapon to hit you back with.

I also am think about changing the length of time a NPC is knocked out to make it longer so that it gets real boring using exploits.

I change Windfist to be more of a viable option against Fireball.

I nerfed Holy Arrow for Paladins. Doing 150 damage for only 5 mana? too easy. You want to use magic as palidin, must invest some more points into mana reserve. Balance it out more for all spells for Palidins.

I did not remove Oblivian spells, I changed it so that instead of using only 5 mana they take 50 mana to use. So only a palidin or Mage can realy use them,. The Ingaz quest can still be done, if you got enough rings and Amulets on to boost your mana to use the scroll, and maybe I make it so you must either do not need to invest no points in your mana (eat 50 Mushrooms for +10, basic +10 start out with, ring of Astral Power for +10, Thief of the Amulet of whatever it is called will now give you another mana boost; along with permenate stat mana boost potions).Thus you can still do the quest without investing mana points but much more running around.

I may just make 100 mana to use and the it becomes a mage only quest. I know that he will teach some alchemy (speed potion); but others can do that also; still playing around with it.
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:17 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Just to add - yes, Brahmin is used in the quest in CH 3 - Hanna's lost map quest. That's also the only moment in the game, when he is "needed".
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:32 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well if u ask me he pretty needed in the game he is the mapper and without a map it wouldent be that easy to finish the game also he sells shrine maps and city maps
Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:37 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

HUGE breakthrough! I can change NPC Combat Skill!

Huge break through! I found where the data is stored and the format of how to change NPC (like Brahim the map maker) basic Combat skill such as 30% 1 h weapons to any thing I want!

I used the Ultraedit32 search function for the number 437. That is also the insert number to put into game vlk_437_Brahim. Also, it is the ID number shown when using Edit Abilitities. I search for the reverse hex double word in game.dat and the the data is there such as 30%=1E hex after proper string data header preceding it. About 160 hex numbers down. All that data has guild, weapon used, and armor assigned, amongst other things. 437 = 1b5 hex = b5 01. Look about 10 lines down for 40 1E that is the 1 h combat skill (1E). I changed it to 60 = 3Ch.

Now I can give him a better merchant (5) armor at say 20 instead of regular 10 citizen clothes, I boosted his basic attributes, I changed his 1 h weapon combat from 30% to 60% and his strength to 60 plus health to 300.

He normally has only his fist to fight and can not fight back very well, no criticals, only 5 to hit you. By me giving him an axe with 20 damage, he will really give you a fight for your life now untuil you get more higher level to take him on. It will not be so easy to beat him up anymore for the money exploit at a low level character. At higher levels, you are probably rich anyway, do it for the experience.

The big breakthrough is now I can flag him or Carl immortal, or change ANY NPC anyway I want from Level, Armor type, Weapon type, Attributes, SKILLS including Combat, guild, fight tactic, Senses (no more sneaking by the gate guard -though that may be by design -just climb over the wall to the right is easy), etc and more choice in giving what spells humanoid monster such as Seekers use as spells, instead of Fire Arrow they use Fire ball, or what ever.

I can give each NPC what weapon and armor they wear, combat skill, that 'other' stuff I been trying to change. Now I can.

After this and the US release and patch, I can finialize a rough basic MOD to see how it plays and I can give you the DOCs and how I changed all aspects of game (constant values anyway); I have a few poeple who can program a decent editor windows GUI for this, mine is only a dos window GNU C++ not hard to use, just ugly. To have a basic look up table and replace data.

Community and kind of decide what is best way for G2Hard MOD to be, so when US release is out, more people will play it and buy it if there are MODs to give it more replay and challenge (more mods=more fun=more sells=more for Gothic 3!).

You must start a NEW game for these effect to happen.

Later I want to understand the compiled scripting code. Now that would really be a tough one to do; then I can add more monsters spawn per chapter; different monsters; MORE custom QUEST; etc. I can borrow mesh and make different human faces with what name and inventory weapons, armor. Place him in the game, give a borrowed modified walk script routine, you get the idea; but let me finish this up first.

Not many mods where made for G1 even with an official Mod Kit. I really hope people do have interest in playing with a more balanced game and harder challenge etc.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:31 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next