28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Thread
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Should I buy it and how good is it?

I have looked at this game and I think I am going to buy it. But can someone tell me what is good and bad in this game and how much points it should be given?

I want to know what YOU think is good and bad. And should I buy it?
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I voted 91 - 100%, I think something around 95% should be good.
I really like it. Well it is definitely not for somone who doesnt like "only battle" based games. This game is one long battle from beginnig to the end but very good battle.

Graphic is simply perfect. Story is good enough. Character developement is interesting, rewarding and motivative. Battles are perfect. Buy it!
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:50 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I could´nt do like this: 1-5 6-10 11-15 and so on. I relly like battles. That is allmost the only thing I think on when I buy games. "It must be good battles or the game is´nt worth it."
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:56 pm
Elmdor

This game is FANTASTIC!! It is really addictive and will keep you playing for hours. And I say that having not even tried the single player game yet! I have only played the multiplayer and I think it rocks. A definite must buy and I score it a 95 out of 100.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:06 pm

Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I personnaly have mixed feeling about DS.

IMHO, the game is like Diablo (I & II) although less addictive. I bought it
the first day it got released and played maybe 5 hours since then. To say
the truth the only reason it's still on my hard drive is that I want to see all
the brilliant graphics on all the levels (and that I would feel guilty of
spending 70 CAN$ witouth at least playing a bit).

Pros: Very nice graphics, Sound is good, Game engine well done.
Cons: Repetitive, Very linear, Character developement is somewhat boring

DS is not a bad game, but I don't think it's made for everyone,
especially if you're looking for a *role-playing* game.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:30 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I think that game look good and I have never played a similiar game before. I think I will buy it (maybe) and wait for Gothic II.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:37 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well, we have our review up today, Moriendor will tell you how good he thinks the game is.

Without spoiling too much, he thought it is less interesting than Gothic or Wizardry 8, from a RPG maniac's point of view - and I agree.

I voted 81-90.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:13 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I couldn’t agree more with Azkiel.

And Danicek no offence but what story and character development you talking about?
If you loved Diablo you must have this game, but if you looking for something more sophisticated wait for Morrowind. Personally it’s not my cup of tea, that’s why my voting is below 70.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Sethoris
I couldn’t agree more with Azkiel.

And Danicek no offence but what story and character development you talking about?

Tried you played this game? There is story. I didnt say that it is non-linear with many surprises. But you begin your way on farm, you do not know anything, you just saw dying man, much later in game you will realize what you are you fighting against (of course everyone will know from begining that there is very evel supernatural being behind this).

And character development. Yes there is character development and it gives you not so few choices as it looks at begining. I like DS character developement much more than in AD&D gamed such as BG2, IWD...

I do not want to say that this game is similar to Wizardry or any other complex, non-linear game with great story with many surprices, but I do not want to all games be the same...
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:56 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I think I was somewhere in the middle of the game when I stopped completely. That’s where my patience worn out.

The idea of you using melee so the melee and strength advance faster is good (I think the Morrowind is going to be similar to that, although you will have the points as well). But I miss my points or whatever you want to call them to be used by my liking. DS might be good multiplayer, but single…o well you can please everyone.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:15 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Dungeon Siege was great fun DzD, I think you'll be happy with it. It doesn't sound like you're looking for a strict CRPG, so you should like it as much as any high energy game. Like Danicek said it's just one enormous battle from front to back! If you don't buy it expecting it to be more, then I'm sure you'll love it.

Oh, I gave it an 81-90, it was just too much darn fun!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast

Last edited by Gig on Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:24 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I think i am going to buy it. What you sre saying sounds really good.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:06 pm

Most of you guys are right...this game rocks straight out of the box. Your getting awesome graphics, legendary battles, and some serious loot. Before you know it, your picking Gom's body clean and you wondering, "where do i go from here?" Thats when it starts to go downhill:
You go to the multiplayer and find yourself in a whole new world right? Technically, yes, but then again your are in as much of a new world as you were every time you logged on to D2. Same terrain/mosters, different path. Its just sort of repetatitive following a outdoor path that is no wider than the dungeons you just came out of, with no choice of where to go or what to do. Just straight on to the next pit to kill hoards of mosters. Don't get me wrong, I used to love Diablo II and all the classic Hack and Slashers. But they all get boring after a while, like D2. I probably wouldn't have known the difference if they slapped on a blizzard logo and "Diablo III" on the box. If you look past the awesome graphics, custom art for almost every weapon, nice character advancement system, and packmules (a definite plus), you have a shallow, repetitive, never-deviating-from-the-set-path game. Of course some of your are cursing me for ragging on your new pride and joy, saying that you'll be able to make custom levels and maps. But without dedicated servers and the ease of their editing tools, there arises one of the many deadly sins of multiplayer games. You start getting the item/level hackers (which WILL be numerous in this game, no doubt) ubering up nearly every person in the games, so what do you have left? Going back to you single player or one person multiplayer games with nothing but the same old stuff.
Don't get me wrong, for the first time through, this is an extremely awesome game, but it has a low replayability. Combined with my short attention span creates a serious problem. I'm just mad cause now i have to wait a few more weeks for Morrowind or the like to come out, so I have something to use my computer for besides slamming decent games because I got tired of it pretty quick.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:13 am

Fasttrak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have heard this game described several ways and none quite feel right to me, this game is a visual version of an old game called Gauntlet. The views are a bit different and the graphics a whole lot, but the gameplay is identical. Move into a zone and activate a group of beasts that attack immediately the nearest opponent. For me it has become fairly tedious a game as there is no RPG elements in even the loosest sense of the genre. The only resource management is health and mana potions which are easily had and plentiful to come by. The combat system is so simple as to be true Microsoft style, "Point and Click" and click and click and click... ad nauseum. The graphics engine is far superior to anything in this genre but by no means the best I have seen from FPS games. After about an hour of play I found my attention wandering to other things. There is no exploring as the world is mostly simple pathways outside with invisible walls and the dungeon is the same but the walls are visible. Did I mention the constant mouse clicking? How did they not implement the Diablo style mouse button hold to move forward? The combat is so good that you barely need to pay attention except for the occasional potion drinking. The online play for me is utterly painful, I can not figure out the reason for so much lag when the host and client are fairly near each other and both are high band routed DSL. Every action has about a two second delay, those using dial-up must require serious dosage of drugs to keep from going postal. How the term RPG was ever associated with this game in the previews are utterly beyond me, this is a action game pure and simple.

I give it an 85 out of 100.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:26 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Don't get me wrong, I used to love Diablo II and all the classic Hack and Slashers. But they all get boring after a while, like D2. I probably wouldn't have known the difference if they slapped on a blizzard logo and "Diablo III" on the box. If you look past the awesome graphics, custom art for almost every weapon, nice character advancement system, and packmules (a definite plus), you have a shallow, repetitive, never-deviating-from-the-set-path game...Don't get me wrong, for the first time through, this is an extremely awesome game, but it has a low replayability.

Well, I agree with low replayability but it is typical for this type of games and there is simply no way how to avoid it (if you do not change it to other type of game) - well, Diablo 2 difficulty system was nice try that worked for many people.
This should be nothing else that you are complaining about. If they gave us large world (not just one way to go), nonlinear story, many dialogues with NPC, we have nothing else than other Baldurs Gate with better graphics. I was waiting for game like this, not too much thinking, no non-linearity, no long dialogues, no difficult party developement... just go, fight and fight and fight .
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next