water effects and UK delay
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
kalniel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

water effects and UK delay

Maybe, just maybe, they are delaying the UK/US etc release to add in pixel shaded water. Most of the games competition now has pixel shaded water, and it _might_ not take too long to put in (I really have no expertise in that area). That way come february or whenever the game is released, it looks even better. They could do a patch or expansion for the german version to include it as well.

Kalniel
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:58 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

i could be wrong, but i thought Gothic 2 was still using Directx 7, which doesn't support pixel shading. i think. (perhaps i should do some research)

Morrowind uses it, and it looks ok but not jaw dropping(looks best in the rain), originally they wanted it to really reflect the scene (rather than just a fague hint like it does now) but that would have upped the system specs too much. and thats the problem it hikes up the recommended spec, which is what sensable people use as their guide.

i suppose we'll see soon enough
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:19 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No Pixel shaded water

But believe me I have the game since yesterday the water effects are amazing, much better than Morrowind, if you ask me. What they did is to have several semi transparent layers textures which are slightly moved into different directions, the result is amazing and much more useful than what Morrowind did with the pixel shading.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:08 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Morrowind uses it, and it looks ok but not jaw

Hell, I think its incredible, you sure your running max graphics settings?

quote:
But believe me I have the game since yesterday the water effects are amazing, much better than Morrowind, if you ask me.

Why o why didnt I pay more attention in my german classes back in school

I WANT GOTHIC 2!
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:29 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Strange, I think the water effects in Morrowind are far superior, especially the rain. But Gothic 2 is gorgeous. My girlfriend actually spent half an hout last night watching me play it, and the last game that happened with was Morrowind. The graphics are easily on the same level, and the wilderness is so alive. And the amazing thing is that there is no loading sequences, so you can enjoy it to the full. One area in which Gothic definitly has the advantage over Morrowind.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:16 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

"Hell, I think its incredible, you sure your running max graphics settings? "

yep, all setting to the max, with my GF4, the pixel shading is ok, but i can look very strange as well, not like water at all
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:44 am
Green Chili
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Finarfin
i could be wrong, but i thought Gothic 2 was still using Directx 7, which doesn't support pixel shading. i think. (perhaps i should do some research)

Hm, AFAIK Gothic 2 uses DirectX 8, so that should be possible, but I doubt it will happen... the developers surely will concentrate on the removal of bugs and technical problems and not on additional effects...
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:15 pm