Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What great rpgs might i have missed out on?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

What great rpgs might i have missed out on?

Great rpgs i have played and won:

Bards Tale 1-3
Dungeon Master 1 & 2
Wasteland
BattleTech: cresent hawk
Baldurs Gate 1-2
Icewind Dale 2
Fallout 1-2
Wizardry 6
Might & Magic 3-8
Jagged Alliance 1-2 (+deadly games and unfinished business)
AD&D Goldbox (Pools series, Krynn series, standalones)
Buck rogers: countdown to doomsday and matrix cubed
Morrowind (+tribunal)
Ultima 1-8
Ultima underworld 1-2
Realms of Arkania 1-3
Vampire: TMR
Betrayal at Krondor
Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Quest for glory 1-4
Ravenloft 1-2
Menzobazren(sp? based on ravenloft engine)

so-so RPGS i played and did not finish.

Lands of Lore
Stone Keep

Note: I am aware of planescape, betrayal at antara, and arcanium. Just haven't found them in a store yet. Also do not include console rpgs, i have most likely already played it too

Last edited by bjon045 on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:51 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here are some you could try:

Deus Ex
Daggerfall
Divine Divinity
Diablo series
Wizardry 8
System Shock 2 (I advice you not to play #1)
Evil Islands is decent.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:59 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Deus Ex
System Shock 2 (I advice you not to play #1)

I have played and won SS 1 and 2. They didn't really fall into my idea of an rpg but you are right they are good games. Deus Ex i will have to try, is it like SS?

Daggerfall

It was too buggy for me...

Divine Divinity

I'll put that on the list.

Diablo series

Not my cup of tea....too much clicking.

Wizardry 8

I tried Wizardry 7 and it was bugged (well unplayable, resting took realtime minutes????) Wizardy 6 is one of the best games ever IMHO so maybe i will have to check 8. Just hope it not like 7. (patch never worked for me, either too fast or too slow)
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:09 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic. Arx fatalis is like a newer ultima underworld. Divine Divinity. Wizards and Warriors. Those are all good ones I played this year.

Wizardry 8 you will probably like a lot, it was made by the programmers who made jagged alliance.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:44 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

I have played and won SS 1 and 2. They didn't really fall into my idea of an rpg but you are right they are good games. Deus Ex i will have to try, is it like SS?

Well, kinda. It got a nicer skill system and better graphics. Open ended.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:58 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Gothic and Arx Fatalis, I agree on that. They both got an interesting and distinct flavor to them, although Arx Fatalis is kind of short (it only has a dozen or so quests) and will take you less than a week to finish.
Also, if you haven't done so already, you should play Thief II, it's an FPS but feels more RPGish than many real RPGs out there

But of course, getting PST should be your priority. This one is oriented at a mature audience (in a good sense of the word), and is one of the best RPGs of all times.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:46 pm
dagoo7
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
I tried Wizardry 7 and it was bugged (well unplayable, resting took realtime minutes????) Wizardy 6 is one of the best games ever IMHO so maybe i will have to check 8. Just hope it not like 7. (patch never worked for me, either too fast or too slow)

You must've got a bad copy or had some tech issues, there was nothing buggy about the Wiz 7 This is easily one of my all time favorite games, very tight, well balanced, great story, epic in scope, and for its time even better than Wiz 8 (which i also love). And much better than 6 IMO. I buy too many games and often don't finish the ones i pick up. But i played Wiz 7 from start to finish at least 7 times over the course of 3 yrs. I would try this one again. Hell I may go home and see if i can still get it to run myself.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:18 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2

Those games should keep you playing for some weeks.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:15 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2

Those games should keep you playing for some weeks.

I think Fallout and Baldur's Gate are already on his list ... But it's never a bad idea to play them one more time
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:59 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My Wiz 7 (the original version, not the Win95 one) was unplayable as well, it came straight out of the box with vital files missing (and no, it wasn't my computer then). Could be patched, but it was very annoying.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:33 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Be sure not to go over the Gothic series. And though, it might digress from your up-to-now taste, it is one title you cannot miss...
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:53 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

So many games, so little time!

For my taste, absolute top priorities would be Deus Ex and PS:T, since they are among the best games I've ever played, regardless of genre. Closely followed by Gothic and Arx Fatalis... two games with real personality, which is getting kind of thin on the ground these days IMO. Those two have certainly got their fair share of technical issues though.

For other people's tastes... UW fans would probably go for Arx Fatalis and Deus Ex (if they don't mind the sci-fi setting), anyone who likes a good story will probably love PS:T. Can't really think of much that's similar to Gothic... the large, detailed gameworld and believable NPC communities are probably its biggest strengths. But you've obviously got quite broad tastes, bjon045; you'd probably like 'em all.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:09 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks for all the advice, I think i have a better idea of my "to play" list now.

CURRENT GAMES:
PS: T
Arx Fatalis
Gothic
Deus Ex

UPCOMING:
Morrowind: Bloodmoon
SW: KOTOR
Lionheart

I played wizardry 6 about 4 years ago and the graphics didn't put me off at all, i played it solid for about 1 week before completing it and it is one the greatest games i ever played. That is really what i was looking for in this post, other great (and possibly old) games that i may have missed.

>>I think Fallout and Baldur's Gate are already on his list ... But it's never a bad idea to play them one more time

Played fallout 1 and 2 about 3 times, and Baldurs gate 1.5 times (second time as an evil alignment but got bored half way through)

>>You must've got a bad copy or had some tech issues, there was nothing buggy about the Wiz 7 This is easily one of my all time favorite games, very tight, well balanced, great story, epic in scope, and for its time even better than Wiz 8 (which i also love).

Actually according to their website it wouln't run on most pentium class processors. They released a patch that was supposed to correct it but it never worked for me. The newer version with improved graphics i also bought and it worked mostly except for whenever i set up camp my characters wouldn't heal (well they did but it literally took about 5 minutes) and combats took forever to do and i had to click on each option with the mouse. I was used to Wizardry 6 where i could resolve battles in about 5 seconds by holding down the 'A' key and resting was instantanous.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:08 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Let me add Divinity, Anachronox and Summoner as games worthy of consideration. I enjoyed them. Did I see NWN on your list?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:46 am