View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-11 15:30, Kveldulf wrote:
Stiletto, I disagree completely, the controls are unconventional only to people who only play first person shooters

Interesting how you just jumped to that conclusion, isn't it? I do NOT "only play first person shooters"

quote:

it takes only a tiny bit of time to make them feel natural. Since I learned the controls in only a few minutes (in a language I didn't understand)

OH, *well*....we *all* humble ourselves in your presence.

People take different lengths of time to reason things out. Some of us just don't have your *wonderful* superior intellect and comprehension. (sarcasm mode off)

quote:

I find it hard to understand what so many people are griping about.

Who's griping??? I simply commented that I found the controls confusing & clumsy - and hoped when I wrote it that perhaps someone would point me in a direction to where I might find information regarding that. Fortunately, some people *did* that....and, actually *without* attempting to tout their superior intellectual abilities, I might add.

quote:

I used the word intuitive in it's

The pronoun 'it' has no apostrophe when it's used as a possessive. Hence "its proper meaning".

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-11 19:53 ]
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:40 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

and don't go say crap like..Not impressed..
cause you just can't say that when you haven't experienced gothic for real...playing for some minutes are definetely NOT ENOUGH at all to judge the demo...

I was actually playing for an hour....

And I was stating an opinion - you know, they're just like noses...everybody has them.

I believe I said "first impression", by the way. Not a conclusion at all, by any means.

There was just too many things that caused me to dislike the demo. Performance was a big issue - it doesn't seem to run very well on my system. THAT'S the reason I compared BoD - and I KNOW it's not an RPG in the true sense - I was simply comparing the speed and crytal-clear resolution that BoD had, while this game seems very choppy, sluggish and the graphics appeared so-so. Granted, some people are finding it is not an issue with them, so perhaps there's something I can do to improve it on my system.

I realize it's early days yet. There has been some demos that I absolutely hated - and yet, when I gave the actual games a chance, I found that improvements had been made, and the games themselves were actually very good.

==Hawkwind==
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:10 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hawkwind, I didn't read through all your replies... Because they're so damn long.

But I just have to say that people at these forums love Gothic. The controls are as perfect as they can be, even though they're new to us. The graphics, and AI spectacular.
The weapons are perfectly balanced. Their names and looks match eachother perfectly.

The storyline is so bold, that there are a dozen ways to play the game. Even though they all lead to the same ending.

Gothic is absolutely perfect. Other than a few unintentional bugs, but that's alright.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:04 pm

I don't know if I would go so far as to say its perfect, but it is damn good. Once you learn the controls they are no longer awkward, and the game seems very easy to play. I definately am looking forward to playing the full version. If you need some help getting the game running smoother on your computer Hawkwind, go over to the support group and maybe post your performance experience as well as your system specs. I am sure you can at least get it running a little better.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:32 pm

Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Arg! This is like the third time I have done that. BTW Hawk, don't mind whats his name, most people here aren't as aggressive as he is. Fetish maybe, but only if you disagree with him <:

Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thatīs right Stiletto. Most people here invested a lot of points in diplomacy.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:24 pm
Kveldulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, ok, I'm sorry for venting my frustration on you Hawkwind. I get a little defensive when people, not just you, keep harping on the controls of Gothic. I should not of called you an idiot, and I shouldn't have said Blade of Darkness completely sucked.

I think that most of these people are forcing themselves to use mouse-look no matter what, and that the mouse and Gothic don't get along. Keyboard only seems to work best.

Yes, it's its and not it's.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:46 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-12 14:46, Kveldulf wrote:
Ok, ok, I'm sorry for venting my frustration on you Hawkwind.

Hey, not a problem - I got pretty bent out of shape there, too. All is forgotten.

quote:

I get a little defensive when people, not just you, keep harping on the controls of Gothic. I should not of called you an idiot, and I shouldn't have said Blade of Darkness completely sucked.

Well, thanks for saying that. I appreciate it....

As it turned out, I stuck with it and figured out 95% of the controls. I still don't care for the interface though - but that's just me. I've never been really keen on keyboard-only setups. I do however, like a combination of mouse/keyboard.

==Hawkwind==
Post Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:52 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-12 07:04, FetishFool wrote:
Hawkwind, I didn't read through all your replies... Because they're so damn long.

Oh.....er, sorry - but I guess sometimes I get the keyboard version of 'verbal diarrhea' I *did* try to break up my paragraphs for easier reading....

quote:

But I just have to say that people at these forums love Gothic. The controls are as perfect as they can be, even though they're new to us. The graphics, and AI spectacular.
The weapons are perfectly balanced. Their names and looks match eachother perfectly.

While I don't think I'm *quite* as ecstatic over the game as you (grin) I DO like it better each time I play it.

Er...how was that for length?

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-12 19:13 ]
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:04 am
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Keyboard only? Which demo are you playing?

I use a mouse keyboard combination when I play the English demo.

Anyhoo, I grew to like the demo the more I played it HW, and my original assessment was about the same as yours.

Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:34 am
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hawkwind! I read all the replies and they ware pretty funny, so i wonted to ask you something! Do you like Gothic and whats your score about it? And the boys were right at some time because your message sounded like final "The graphics weren't very crisp, and the detail was so-so", about the controls i to was having some difficulties in the first 10 minutes but after that a realized that they are perfect. So i mean no offence by this reply and if you have questions just e-mail me www.crusherbg@yahoo.com OK!
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:12 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-13 08:12, Crusher wrote:
Hawkwind! I read all the replies and they ware pretty funny, so i wonted to ask you something!

Glad you found them so amusing! Now, THAT'S entertainment!
quote:

Do you like Gothic and whats your score about it?

Well, I'll tell you: I REALLY like this game, and now that I've gotten into it, I just can't leave it alone. I'm *still* having problems with the interface with combat, but everything else has become easier & more familiar. This game has such a hauntingly realistic feel to it. The landscapes are quite breathtaking and VERY atmospheric. I so do want badly to just WALK into those WOODS! The characterization is the best I've ever seen. I love how they move and behave so realistically - as if they *actually* had a purpose. They're not just wandering aimlessly around...the way they do in so many other RPGs. And although the conversation as you go past sounds a bit random, it still provides the required effect.
quote:

And the boys were right at some time because your message sounded like final "The graphics weren't very crisp, and the detail was so-so",

Well, I discovered that the demo setup hadn't changed my screen resolution. I found you had to hit 'enter' at that option to change it. Many games just do that automatically, or you have to press 'apply' someplace.

Now that I have it running the way it should, I retract any comments about graphic & detail clarity or 'crispness'
quote:

about the controls i to was having some difficulties in the first 10 minutes but after that a realized that they are perfect.

'Perfect' might be pushing things a little - but hey, with a game that promises to be absolutely & totally immersive and intriguing - I'm willing to overlook any small issues with controls.
quote:

So i mean no offence by this reply

Asolutely no offense taken since you didn't demean or insult! I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I think - that's what makes for good discussion.

Thanks for your reply, Crusher!

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-13 15:06 ]
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:02 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-13 05:34, PraetorJudis wrote:
Keyboard only? Which demo are you playing?

Well, what I meant was that all the inventory & combat are keyboard-based. Other RPGs I've played - such as the Might & Magic
series - have mouse clickable options & comat.
quote:

I use a mouse keyboard combination when I play the English demo.

It isn't possible to map the mouse buttons, is it? I'd like the action key for the right mouse button. That way, I wouldn't find it so tough stretching my hand from control over to movement. It's fine if you use the control with left hand & the directional keys with your right, but I prefer the mouse & keyboard together.
quote:

Anyhoo, I grew to like the demo the more I played it HW, and my original assessment was about the same as yours.

Well, I've certainly changed my tune. I can't WAIT for the full game to come out. I think it's going to be a fun Christmas & winter, what with Gothic coming, and also Morrowind & Wizardry 8. Finally, some decent RPGs coming our way!

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-13 15:21 ]
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Did you try both keyboard schemes? May be using asdw instead of cursor is more suitable for you? Then you have the right hand for the mouse.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:33 pm
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well...yes they are not purfect!(the controls).
About the fights here is a tip.
When fighting just hold the action button down and wait for the enemy to come close then "up,right,left" is the fastest combination. But there is one more condition the ability of your hero to fight depends on what is your skill with the weapon you are fighting with.One more the "up" makes you make one step and then strike more deadly then "right,left" - they are fast.Oh one more you can hit when you run.If you need help just type the magic word www.crusherbg@yahoo.com and a magic fairy wont come out just you are going to recive
E-mail from me:)) Thats from me?!?
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 6:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next