FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Rangers can learn alchemy?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Rangers can learn alchemy?

I was curious. I read somewhere rangers can learn alchemy, but I havent seen that as a skill I can put points into. The only thing I can put points into skill wise is tracking part. Any insight on this? Thanks
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:55 pm

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Absolutely. At level 5 rangers begin learning alchemy spells. When you level up, look at the third skills page (last one before you exit). All spell casters have their spell casting skill (in this case, alchemy) there and also their spell points in each realm.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you will train him/her wisely, ranger will be soon very useful caster.
He was my backup healer and more than one time he saved life of other members of my party .

Good luck
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:01 pm

Any recommendations for raising him? Any special stats? So many seem important its sad.

Also, I have a Fighter, Lord, Priest, Mage, Ranger, Rogue for my group. Is there an identify skill that any of them can learn? My priest got the spell but its not very good. Also one last question. My priest should learn divination and any other major skills? Im confused on what she should learn. I used light spell and boom her fire went up. Is there any special skills I should raise? Thanks in advance.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:39 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If you want to focus on keeping your Ranger a ranged attacker, then raise Senses, Speed, Dexterity and Intellegence. Ranged criticals are wonderful. And you want them to have initiative. Work on your ranged combat skills. Decide whether you want to use bows or crossbows with that character and raise the appropriate stat. The scouting skill is also a nice feature of the ranger. By raising that you can give your whole party better initiatives by spotting monsters before they spot you. You can also beef up their Alchemy skills for secondary attacks. If you want them to hold their own if you get surrounded, then invest in some strength, vitality and some sword skills.
With spellcasters cast every defensive spell you can at all times. It will raise their abilities in other realms you might not normally work on. Thus you'll have access to better offensive spells from those realms and have more power when casting them. With your priest, focus on divine. There are some very nice high level priest spells that you will love. If your identify spell isn't working, then you need to practice it because your priest gets no bonuses for the mental realm. Just cast the spell as much as you can until your skills using it raises.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes my Ranger was
- ranged attacker with high critical attacks ability
- good scouter, he really found many useful things
- when there were some more points (in later parts), he was also spellcaster, as I said he was very good healer, but nothing more
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Val,

Since most people seem to put their ranger toward the back, I'd recommend a different weapon than a sword- polearms. I've had good luck with the "I" formation (2 tanks in front, ranger and 2 casters in middle, bard in back) and it turns out that the ranger makes a decent melee guy. There's several decent spears to be found (even early game), so the ranger can have a pretty decent weapon throughout the game. Kind of a way to get a third tank without losing other party skills.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:27 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

With no NPCs, I keep the traditional 3 front, 3 back formation with the ranger up front. His sword skill is over 90 and his bow skill over 80. When I have the T'Rang Samurai in my party, I move ranger to middle left flank (Vi had the right one - polearm/bow) for bow usage.
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:19 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Decide whether you want to use bows or crossbows with that character and raise the appropriate stat.

I've seen this comment made before. I thought both bow and crossbow used the "bow" skill. In fact, I know that my two guys using x-bows right now are gaining skills in "bow". Am I missing another factor, or are the two weapons interchangeable from a skill standpoint (meaning no decision must be made)?
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sorry, got a little mixed up there. They both use the same skill.
And about the polearm, if I wanted a melee character that used a polearm then I'd make a Valkyrie. I'll take those ranged criticals any time. I'll only resort to melee weapons if the creatures surround me and it becomes more practical to use a melee weapon.
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:03 pm