Usergroups
hi from the developers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i dont know about you guys but i killed thorus after the old mine colasped, i got booted from the old camp, ect you guys know what im talking about, so i guess thats probally why he didnt make it, and kairo id understand if you didnt know the answer to this next question, but as you have probally read in many threads alot of people think that the one woman on sekob's farm I think her name is barbera if i remember correctly, well any her voice sounds like a guys trying to sound like a woman, is it?
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:44 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@chronotrigger: thanks for the compliments and the immense amount of time you spent creating mods and stuff for gothic. you are perfectly justified in asking why we barricaded some places in the old world.

the reason is this: when we considered allowing the game player to return to the well-known places, we knew that we could not leave those places unchanged. that would have been rightly criticized, as you don't want to pay 40 USD (or whatever) for a game that consists of 50% recycled material. due to the very few month of development, we had to decide whether to put the focus on the new world or the valley of mines. we decided to offer a larger variety of new locations rather than to polish up the colony. another aspect is that we usually enrich the environment with story that takes place in it. you won't find that many larger areas without anything exciting to discover. woudln't you be dissappointed by a sect camp with no life in it?

concerning thorus: in the addon, you'll bump into a number of gothic I characters. even though thorus might not be among them (or is he?), you'll certainly feel like home.

@shmaugus: what? babera sounds like a guy? no way. the voice actress was a beautiful woman who gave me a kiss on the cheek after the recording session. i guess i'd have noticed if she was a guy...
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:14 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm i guess ill have to go check the name then

and i found out where npcs go when they transition to a different map between chapters or change their appearance, i was rather suprised when i found all those bodies there
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:23 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

KaiRo…It’s past midnight here, I can’t imagine what the hell your still doing up. Don’t you ever sleep? Has the past couple of week gotten you so wired that you can’t unwind? Well, I just finished the game and I liked the closing scene…I almost missed it. Now that I sit here and reflect back on the adventure one thing really stands out…The Sound Track! It carried the game beautifully…accept for that freaking raven. I can’t remember how many times the bastard bird almost gave me a coronary. Next time put that bird in the game so I can kill it. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the game…better than the first. I think it was the ending. All good books have a great story to tell and yours was no exception. I hope all of you at PB continue to blend all the elements that make this such a great game to play. I really enjoyed the levity that you thoughtfully put into the game…it’s what sets Gothic apart from all the rest…and speaking of rest, I think I’ll go get some.

Great work guys…

P.S. The game has some serious wall issues…or is it your version of the Twilight Zone?

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:49 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Re: hi from the developers

Wow! To think one of the developers of the Gothic series might read this post... I'm nearly as excited as I was when Gothic 2 first arrived in the mail. The poor box it came in... I was perfervidly awaiting the release of Gothic 2 for far too long... I live in Maine, USA. I couldn't wait for the US release, so I ordered the English version from GoGamer.com. I'll not only buy the Add-on, I'll also buy the US version whenever it's released.

You implied that you get very little sleep. I enjoyed Gothic & Gothic 2 so much that I could only sleep for about 3 hours each night before returning to the game... It's the result of an obsession. If it weren't for your obvious passion for the creation of the Gothic series, it wouldn't be nearly as good. Your passion clearly shows through the game, it's an element the eye can't see but the hearts of those who play it feel. It is one of the elements that make the Gothic series an unforgettable, timeless adventure.

This thread has grown to its 4th page now, so I'll just quote all parts I want to comment on...

quote:
Originally posted by KaiRo
i agree with you, the repetitive apperance of just 16 voice actors spoil the games atmosphere in some situations. believe me, we would have loved to improve the variety, but we just didn't have enough money to pay additional actors. on top of that, the protagonist's dubber (as well as diego's) was no longer avaliable, so we had to pick actors with a similar voice. it's a matter of taste weather you like'em or not. i personally think they did a good job.

Diego's voice actor was probably the most disappointing voice acting segment throughout the entire game. It would be great if you could get the original voice actor for Diego to return for the rest of the series. Voice actors for the main characters, like Diego, should have a signed contract obligating them to their character for the duration of the Gothic series... Gothic 2 is still the best RPG in history, but that minor flaw is worth noting.

Have you or any of the other developers considered doing some minor voice acting?

I'm not sure how much you pay your voice actors, but if you pay for the transportation I'd be more than willing to be a voice actor for free... I'd even be willing to live at the work place, so long as it had a bathroom...

quote:
Originally posted by Freakie
Just one tiny litle question: When goes the fanclub open
I check every day but it's still not open...

I'd imagine you've got plenty of loyal fans out there just dying to take on the responsibility of creating, hosting, and running a fan club for you. How would you feel about something like that?

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
Question: will we ever see Rice Schnapps again ???

I enjoyed seeing Rice Schnapps. They just seemed to fit the atmosphere of the game somehow...

quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
I would like to see Mud back…the guy was annoying, funny and a great piece of comical relief. Although the thumb screws guy at the old castle was pretty fun when it came to meat bugs…Of all the things I like about Gothic, I would have to say the comedic moments are the best.

I agree. Mud was a very memorable part of the original Gothic. He would make an excellent recurring character for the Gothic series. It would be a great idea for him to show up in Gothic 3 with a long, humorous story of how he evaded danger and survived the chaos that followed shortly after the barrier's demise. To see him in every Gothic for the rest of the series with a new, but equally comical story of suvival would be something Gothic fans who enjoy "Gothic humor" could always look forward to seeing.

quote:
i was thinking about "harold", but the other piranhas didn't like it all that much.
quote:
but although i like poultry, the game dosn't focus solely on the raven..
quote:
what? babea sounds like a guy? no way. the voice actress was a beautiful woman who gave me a kiss on the cheek after the recording session. i guess i'd have noticed if she was a guy...

You should try writing some funny side quests. You seem to have good humor. Invent your own version of 'Mud' and see what the other developers think about it...

quote:
I have a question if I may…well two actually. Fist, we have been discussing shields and advanced weapons in another thread.

I actually think shields are a bad idea... They just don't seem very practical to me. Here is a link to a thread with a little more depth into the subject:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f5f8175a295d81d21cd58bfeccddb0e9

quote:
How ‘bout meatbug races?

A clever quest comes to mind. Imagine this: There is some sort of meatbug race/maze where your able to bet gold on which one wins--similar to the drinking quest in Gothic 2 at the tavern. After making your bet, your instructed to get a meatbug for the race. You go to an NPC that owes you a favor from a previous quest and ask him to find a meatbug and race it on your behalf because you've got to be somewhere else. He agrees. You use your transform into meatbug scroll to transform into a meatbug which your able to control and move to the NPC you asked to do you the favor. He sees the meatbug (you) and carries you to the race enabling you to complete the quest by winning the competition (outsmarting the other meatbugs). Your NPC friend gets the reward while you run off to transform back into your human form so you can go claim what is righfully earned. If your seen transforming by the NPC representing you at the race/maze, he would refuse to help you cheat. Of course, it would only be possible to do this quest during the daytime.

A lot of us would really love to see the transform into bloodfly spell return to Gothic. It was my favorite spell in Gothic, and most people's favorite method of transportation. It also provides an alternative means to getting to placed which might require a certain amount of speed. In Gothic I used it frequently to get to places I couldn't get otherwise... One idea would be to put a cave above water level under a waterfall, that way only while in bloodfly form could you reach the cave (since while in bloodfly form you can fly above water level). Flying through the city while in bloodfly form was also quite entertaining as every NPC you passed would attack with little success.

Was there any change in the lighting of Gothic 2? It generally seemed darker and less colorful than the original. No matter how much I adjusted the contrast, gamma, or brightness, I couldn't seem to match it with the same lighting I was used to from the original Gothic. I very much preferred the lighting used in the original. I felt like the lighting didn't justify the graphics...

I typed a short review on Gothic 2 recently. It was just a fun thing I did for a site that I felt didn't have enough good reviews yet. It wasn't edited, but I'd be thrilled if you would read and comment on it. Here is a link to the page with my review on it. My review is the one by SirDeity. There are also at least a couple other reviews there from other rpgdot.com members. Here is the link:

http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/roleplaying/product_1903.asp?RVFirst=6&RVNum=5

Lastly, I have a question that may or may not be appropriate for this thread: I was wondering if there is a way I might E-mail you? I have some private inquiries I'd like to ask you not strictly concerning the game. I've been procastinating this for a while now. Since your one of the most talented developers on this planet, I'd rather you be the person I communicate with. If you'll grant me one E-mail in an attempt to win your attention, I'll be more than satisfied. I'm sure you don't want to give your E-mail away on the forum, so if you'll grant me this favor you can E-mail me at Abbpacked@aol.com so that I'll have an E-mail address to reply to.

If you read all this, thank you very much for your time. It's an honor to communicate with such a talented individual. Some people might think of you as merely a developer of the Gothic series. I think of you as an ingenious, and passionate artist with the ability to aid in the creation of an extraordinary masterpiece. I am a true Gothic fan, SirDeity.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:01 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

hey Kairo!

Firstly I would like to say gothic 2 surely is one of the best games ever i've played, along games like Deus EX,fallout,outcast and so on.So be proud of your game, its simply amaizing and feels totaly unique.One of the things which makes gothic to feel so good, is the level of detail you guys put.It really creates the immersion I'm there.In most rpg-games there are chairs but for some wierd reason player can't use them.Well it feels stupid,but in gothic i allmoust never got to experience thesekind of moments .
I just wish publishers would appreciate you and your work more,cause we gamers sure do!

Few litle notes that i've been thinking when i've been playing gothic 2 over and over again.Damn its quite hard to stop doing so

1.Dragons felt a bit too easy.And why did ice dragon use fire for attack instead of ICE?

2.Dialog was very good or bloody excellent most times..Only In point of the game it wasn't that great imo.I really felt that discussion beetveen a dragon and a hero should have felt a bit more epic.Dragons for sure sounded like they were real,but hero sounded like he was talking to an orc instead of mighty beast of thounsands of year old.

3.About the oath of firemagicians.I thought the old one in gothic 1 was much better,but i'm just nitpicking

4.Can we go fishing in gothic someday?I mean there is a fish merchant in town so why shouldn't hero to be able to do some fishing?

Thats all for now.Keep the good work!
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:09 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

@ Dez : The dragons felt a bit to easy indeed. If you want the Ice Dragon to use ice as attack, you would have to give the other dragons their attacks.
Stone Dragon = Earth quake perhaps, but Swamp Dragon = ??.
Spraying you with mud?? (not Mud )
NFG member
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:51 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
@corwin: (... who stated that our distribution partners don't exactly help us to become internationally successful)

that's exactly how i feel about that matter. i would love to see gothic II ads in your local game magazines, or at least find the game in stores all around the globe (almost). maybe next time...

You make me happy (when I play Gothic I'm happy.. ) and I trie to make you happy...
Here are a few shops: http://www.dpluss.nl/ (>RPG>Gothic II)
http://www.dynabite.nl (Shop>Direct naar de shop>Software>Avontuur/Rollenspel>Gothic 2
http://www.freerecordshop.nl/pages/productview.asp?ProductID=361849

So that are just a few but you get the point.......

You can't see it on the site but http://www.pcgameplay.com/ reviewed it.
It's the best magazine in the Benelux (Netherland+Belguim+Luxemburg>But it's Dutch so f*ck Luxemburg ) and they gave it a 8.3 that's to low I think but most games don't get a higher score..

Dutch review from Gamer.nl and the score is 9,2

Gamer.nl brings the news that the German addon is done, still no news if they are going to release an English version (Ohhh I hope so)

Gothic II Credits
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:58 am
Mopster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First i want to thank the whole Gothic team for the games, i hope more will come (Gothic VIII ?? :p )

second, you said the voice actor for Diego was unavailable, is this only for the German Diego, or also the English ?

third, there have been magicians in every game so far, why not give them a weapon of their own, like a staff or rod with some magic capabilities
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:33 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh some ppl asked where did all the ppl go from the barrier remember in Gothic 2 they had a bandit camp well i think many of them are there

I Would like to see Gothic series atleast till 5
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:42 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:

Have you gone nuts!! Put a zero behind it......

Gothic II Credits
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:56 am
J.T.
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi, KaiRo!

First Iam glad to hear that the addon will be released soon. The both Gothic Adventures are the Games I have ever played.

Second thing: Iam the one who wrote you an e-mail for a permission to make a Point-and-Click Adventure. Iam confident that Iam able to send you tommorrow at least than 4 Screenshots
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:29 am
climax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hi könnts ihr auch in deutsch schreiben uuuuuuund wat isn die URl von der G2 - Addon seite will au mal besuchen

seas
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:31 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Freakie
quote:

Have you gone nuts!! Put a zero behind it......

heheheh oke oke lets make it 500 then it will never end gothic series forever heheh
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:34 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
Originally posted by climax
hi könnts ihr auch in deutsch schreiben uuuuuuund wat isn die URl von der G2 - Addon seite will au mal besuchen

seas

Jaja zo kan ik het ook he als we allemaal een eigen taal gaan praten schieten we ook niet op he...........

So please talk English....

Gothic II Credits
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:01 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next