Usergroups
(spoiler) Typos in the translation mod.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Positions are limited, it's a small camp and there's not that many places to go around Even for someone to get INTO the camp means that someone from the camp has to leave it, and they'll only leave it when they die and obviously no one wants to die

Franco took that position by force, because he wanted it. That position means that he gets to command others while not doing anything by himself, he still has access to the camp and all, so he's content with the place. It's best he'll get anyway, other positions are Esteban's, Thorus's and Bloodwyn's, and those 3 aren't exactly going to give up their positions. Rest are minor positions in what he'd be not interested anyway.

In any case, I'll be in that spot in-game soon again, so I'll check for the dialogue between the char and Franco for details
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:54 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Anything new happening here?
Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:28 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Been busy at work myself, but I am wondering if all the changes made in this topic were added to the text files already? For example, last time I checked Saturas's text, the changes were not in. I haven't checked lately, I was more looking at this thread to see the news about those, but if they have been added, then as soon as I have a bit more time, I'll go over the texts, char by char, again, to see if something still needs to be added or clarified. Can you confirm if the changes made in the thread are added to the files on your site, Kiwi Boy?
Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:24 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Kiwi Boy, you're alive? What's the status of the updates?
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:22 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry. I've been moving to my college town, and my Internet connection was not up until recently.

However, last time I checked, it was updated in early September. Did you refresh your web browser, Whailor?

I hope I can do my next massive update this weekend.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:42 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

OK, I have to admit that my time has been super scarce lately and thus I haven't got around to checking the final files, what have been reviewed and corrected. Loads of work to do, also I am beta testing Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft (online MMRPG's), so, there's much to do and little time to do it all

But, I haven't forgotten this and as soon as I have the moment, I'll dig into these files again.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:58 am
Draakan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
OK, I have to admit that my time has been super scarce lately and thus I haven't got around to checking the final files, what have been reviewed and corrected. Loads of work to do, also I am beta testing Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft (online MMRPG's), so, there's much to do and little time to do it all

But, I haven't forgotten this and as soon as I have the moment, I'll dig into these files again.

Good to hear that
Hope you can spend a little time But I can understand you, i test some MMos too

Three can hide a secret, if two of them are dead!
-= Benjamin Franklin =-
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:34 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is too bad that all the hard work to finialize all the last typos and mistranslations found within this thread, will seem to never make into the "final" version.

I could type in the corrected texts, but I have no knowledge of how to use the Development Kit that Cothyso used to create the EXE install package.

The best I could do, is to try to hex in the space within the individual files, repack it, and live with that newest translation.

I been playing other games, hoping a English Add-on may be made; as the Polish version was.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:40 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy

I certainly hope you guys find the game to make that final version of the mod.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:37 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

How are things going with the massive update? I finally got NotR (yeah, I know)and I'm impressed the translation mod is very good. I didn't think that you guys would also take the translations from the plants and stuff from G2.

It's just that on some point (I know the G2 lines are from G2 and not translated by the team) in the new areas it seems like a different translator took it over that just was a little sloppy.
It's no big deal to read things like: "knwo" instead of "know" or "vising" instead of "visiting" but getting those minors things right would really finish this project.

Besides that, great work.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:05 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is no more work being done on it ASFAIK.

I can easily hex edit the mistakes (takes a long time) into the files, but it must be no longer than the original text length.

The I guess I can zip the three files up into a small package so that you would have to manually replace each file over. I do not know scripting language or how to make that neat EXE.

In some sense, it would be nice to have it raw that way (manually installed). It basically means you do not have to worry about using GothicStarter to run it.

Hard Hack version with updates. I been playing other games for awhile, trust me, translating thousands of lines gets real boring. Several people worked on that mod. You will see different authors styles.

I waited because I thought an ENGLISH version would have been released if they were going to make a Polish, Russian, and maybe a Spanish version of the add-on.

It will take some time to hex edit a thousand line corrections in this manner. But it would be more near perfect. Remember, what I do must fit into the orginal space allotment to the orignal sentence, so some wording may change a little, or just leave the mistake as is.

Heck, who is still playing this anyway? I believe most people who bought the German editon add-on have already played it through? and this would be rather pointless...
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:33 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy

Has the original G2aTT already abandoned this project or what? I know it takes time but everything is already in the first post, concerning the mistranslations. It would be wonderful if those things could be fixed. For example the Circle of Water armor is called Watermage's Armor and Blattcrawler isn't translated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the mod, but there are just so many little errors that it's just a pity, that everything is already mapped and corrected, but not corrected in the mod yet. I mean the list with corrections is very extensive with even things like punctuation marks, it's such a terrible waste of resources if that just stays in the first post of this thread.

I can certainly do something myself, but somebody from the original team would have to explain how things work, because I don't have enough skills to do it myself.
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:16 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

In case you did not notice, I am one of the original workers from the team.

Cothyso/Tiamat was the one with knowledge to create the complex scripting language and programming required to create the original Mod.

He made a post that he does not have the time to finish it, as most forum people lost interest--

We had hoped the gaming community would have given us more timely feedback on errors when it was released; but that was not the case.

Then Kiwi Boy came along and helped us with his list; and what team members were left, tried to place in the corrections- a bit late in the game.

The only thing I can do is as above with hex editing and its limitations.

Maybe an English version is still to be released? They did release in Polish, Russian, etc. Maybe if Jowood/Atari or whoever did not jerk us around for a year teasing us with the possibility of an English release, this Mod would have been finished completely.

Watermage Armor is used for its short length. Blattcrawler is 'leaf/sheet/flat' crawler. What the heck is that you may say. In the game there are Mine Crawlers beasts to kill. But there is an armor to make from thier shells. It is a flat plate type armor. I need to look into how it is being used. Blatt is five spaces so I could change it to Minecrawler- the only critter I know in the game. Unless there is a Leafcrawler, Flatcrawler? They look like big 'flat' crabs.

A 'crab' in German is Krebs 'flat crawler' and in the game they just use another word 'Minecrawler' since these huge crabs live in the mines. I am only guessing.

It does not translate well into English. I guess you could leave as Minecrawler Plate Armor. If I hex edited it in, I would need enough space to put it within the original text sentence space -which there is not.

Anyway, look for Cothyso's last post on this subject; the main author of this mod.

EDIT:
I am presently downloading all the text I can find from KB list (plus many more corrections I gathered from others and myself not listed) and will try to hex edit the most I kann as I have time. I would like to not use a straight Hard Hack, since I would lose that nice installer and the Xardas dialog at the beginning of the game explaining what has happened.

I need to learn how to 'repack' the file installer. maybe if I ask Cothyso he could do it for us all. I am sure is it simple, but i know nothing of progamming.

The EXE unpacks the files, I need help to repack the corrections in reverse. Really anyone with basic programming knowledge may know how to do this.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:19 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK, got it all dowloaded. I am making final corrections after playing through the game. I will try to make a change log of anything significant.

I must really be a glutten for punishment for hex editing all this in.

Remember, I am limited to the original space alotted to the orginal sentence. I can not make all corrections perfect, some words will change and rephrased.

DIA_Addon_Saturas_Erdbeben_14_03
Obviously someone tries with might and main to dispel a powerful spell.
Very obviously someone tries there with all force, to break a powerful magic.
Xerxes712

Obviously someone is trying to break a powerful spell with mighty magic.

(still too long by one letter)

*The original was meant to be 'might and magic' not 'might and main'.*

Obviously someone tries with mighty magic to break a powerful spell.

Xerxes712

Is my final answer that will fit within the original text space by hex editing.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:37 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK It seems the G2ATT-G2NoTRv1.0.exe installs a file called by its name G2ATT-G2NoTR.mod within the folder Raven/Data/Modvdf (mods) and backs up folders with changes made.

This file vdf will over ride the original files, it is a bit big at 24 megs. If I zip it smaller, it would be easy to download.

I think most of the changes can be added here, so my update will just be simply replacing this one file. I am sure there is more but it is a start.

You may have to let it 'rescript' the data again; that litle file call vdsf.exe something for it to take hold; else it maybe still use the old lines. Simple.

Bascially, just replace this file with mine that is hex edited in the corrections. More details later. Anyone reading this??

I am sure Cothyso could repack this update into his original installer easy enough. I need to get hold of him. Else, just shove this hex edited file into that folder.

EDIT: I did some editing of the file G2ATT-G2NoTR.mod within the folder Raven/Data/Modvdf.

You do not have to rerun the scriptor. Just replace my hex edited file in place of the old one sitting there. It will definitely change all the in game text.

I will change the version number from 1.0 to 1.1 and this will show upon the splash screen at the start menu of the game; (plus change the GothicStarter shell screen to show you will be running the newest version -including a readme of what I have changed).

The zipped file will be 4.21 Meg using Winzip. G2ATT-G2NoTR.zip

EDIT: The installer was created using NSIS; a freeware program that I learned something about. I want the installer package to reflect the fact that it is a newer version -but what the heck.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:34 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next