RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A lot of new info lately...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

A lot of new info lately...

There's been a lot of new info lately and I'm somewhat surprised that nobody on this forum is talking about it. Although, I'm sure that people might not feel the need to since the blizzard WoW forum is quite active.

So... out of the stuff people claim to have heard from GenCon what do you find the most intriguing or what has disappointed you the most?

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:22 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

How about posting a link? Ah, whatever... I'll do it.

Here (the info is scattered in several posts after each other):

http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=854379&P=1&ReplyCount=117#post854379

I don't know what to think... I find it strange that Blizzard decided to do all they can to enforce "fun" over realsim (no encumberance planned, no damage from falling yet etc ). Although, I can definately see their reasons. It generally looks very good, but there are a few wierd factors too...

The worst thing is probably the whole Alliance vs. The Horde thing they got going. I had hoped they had leveled beyond that stage with WarCraft 3... oh well, we'll see how it turns out.

Last edited by Hexy on Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:20 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Thanks for the link, Hexy, I didn't think about that.

I was sort of skeptical about the A vs H thing as well. I got the feeling that hostilities were ended after war3... but it's probably the easiest way to work pvp into the game.

I hope that whats been said about warriors not being able to dual wield (with the expception of getting the skill) isn't true or is changed later. To me warriors should be more apt to dual wield than hunters.

The capture the flag games sound fun though

-The Prince of Nothing

Last edited by Korplem on Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:06 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh yes, warriors should definately own hunters and rogues in dual wield and almost all other combat types.

Some other things that bug me: I think that you should be able to affect your starting stats, and it would be pretty lame if they go so far as to only making you able to have Alliance/Horde characters per server.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:21 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Having set starting stats doesnt really bother me too much. Most people just put as many stat points into the attributes their class needs as they can anyway. Although, it does take away from the uniqueness of the character of being able to put remaining stat points into attributes that aren't a must have for the character.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:16 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

It's an MMORPG. It's best that you have set starting attributes/abilities. If you want different ones, then choose a different character/class. An MMORPG never ends; you'll have an infinite amount of time to mold your character in the game. (That's assuming you pay for the subscription every month.)
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:32 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, that's right...
But, Blizzard not trusting people to make good choices in the beginning even though it's supposedly impossible to make bad choices in their advancement system seems a bit wierd, eh?
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:53 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I'm sure it has nothing to do with trust. Blizzard probably doesn't feel that it would be an important feature. The bottom line is this: you'd only experience the benefits of customizing your initial stats for the first few hours or so, so why bother? (As you gain levels, you'll change everything anyway).
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:58 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Still, it gives a certain ammount of freedom and choice in true old RPG fashion. Setting yourself apart from the rest already in the beginning is nice.

Not that this is any of my main gripes.

Having read the latest info-thread on B-net, http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=874204&P=1&ReplyCount=76#post874204, I find it annoying that Horde and Alliance members can't group together (at least not now), that rogues are the only class to dual-wield and that you can't fight on a mount.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:14 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I wonder if you will be able to be attacked while you're on a mount or if your mount can be attacked after you get off to fight... Either of those would be annoying (assuming you wouldn't be able to fight while riding).

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:50 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I don't have time to research this, but I think your mounts will probably be vulnerable to damage. I think once you get off it, it probably won't be vulnerable to attack, though.

I only agree in regular RPGs, but not an MMORPG. Anyway, I agree it will suck if you can't group with the opposite balance. I think they'll change that soon. I think the duel wielding thing is changeable through the skill system. (I think you can use skill points to learn duel wielding -- certain classes.)

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:28 am