SWG: Revenge of the Fans @ NYT
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

SWG: Revenge of the Fans @ NYT

The SWG New Game Experience continues to shake heads with the New York Times contributing <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/arts/10star.html" target="_blank">this</a> piece:<blockquote><em>For Sony and LucasArts, the idea has been to make the game more "Star Wars-like," tying it more explicitly to the films. <br> <br>"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."</em></blockquote>
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:32 pm
Test
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I resubscribed played around with the changes and the new expansion, and I gotta say, that even if they were good changes, they were poorly implemented. (as a reference, I started playing it in stage3 of beta, played for about 6 months at release, and then returned a few times up till this latest expansion). One of the biggest problems combat had was not the combat itself, but the lack of interesting content to do it in. The big empty city's were boring and became even emptier when they made player run city's.

The biggest mistake they made in the nge was killing crafting. It's done, there's no point. With 0 decay and little customization, it would be hard to imagine anybody with want to do it. The exception being starship engineering, since experimentation still matters, although most looted components are better than anything crafters can make. I think people could have tolerated the combat change if crafters still had a place in the world.

I actually liked the original Combat Upgrade patch. If they had simply tweaked that a bit, left crafting in the game, I think they would have been better off in the long haul.

It's too late for this game now. Anybody picking it up will be bored within a month due to the same lack of good content that existed pre-nge.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:32 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The funnest thing is SOE admiting on thier forums that they consulted with laywers in how to make the game better Like an update to EULA would improve game play.

The saddest thing is the complete disregard to the loyal players who payed the money that went into pockets of SOE and Lucas Arts. Such behavior shows just how out of touch these companies are. If they suddenly want an action game , then they should make a new game(or new servers with new rules), not destroy communities that have padded the makers pockets with cash.

This section of the aritcal will cause me to think twice before buying another so-called-rpg from either company:

quote:
"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

The sad thing is that I started playing EQ2 again with a friend and just found a great RP guild that RPs a story line and writes stories and has a great time, but SOE is starting to push this same community-forgotten route with EQ2 now. Easier doesn't mean more fun, and there are no guarantees that such changes will make more money.
LB
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:31 pm
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

Serious question here, for those who've played the game. The article mentions players who had eight, even ten accounts to SWG and cancelled most of them. Now, I've heard of 2-boxing, where people will have 2 accounts and play them both simultaneously... but what the hell does someone need 10 accounts for? Can you only have 1 toon per account or something?
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:38 am
Dhruin

I don't play SWG but I believe it is one char per planet per account. Some people would rather pay for a second account than have to get their other chars to their "home" planet - or so I'm told. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-10 thing was a bit of an overstatement.

Apparently SWG can or did track the individual items crafted back to each player, so there were/are database restrictions.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:53 am
Test
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know why anyone would have 10 accounts. But due to the 1 character per server per account restriction, most hard core players has 3 or 4 accounts. The two reasons they did this was to make extra money, and poor database programming/planning. In the early days it would take Eclipse at least an hour to start up.

Truly this was UO in space (thanks to Raph Koster), it even brought the same shitty db code from it.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:25 pm