Some long rambling words about the demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Some long rambling words about the demo

A first adventure into the Gothic 2 demo by someone who cannot speak German.
*Forward - if you, like me, are still using a 32MB video card then I suggest you do as I am and ask for nothing but gift certificates to your favorite computer store so that you may upgrade. And if you are using a 32MB card expect a few problems and don’t even try running at a higher resolution than 800x600. (which was the default)
I could talk to you about technical details but you are going to play it for yourself, so for now I‘m just going to ramble on about what I did.*

My adventure did not start out as successfully as hoped. It started well as I was taken through the death of the sleeper and the fall of the sleeper’s temple. It seems Xardas managed to teleport my dead(?) body back to his tower, and after a nice light show I was returned to life. All this left me with a good feeling, and I was rather happy. I began to have a lengthy conversation with Xardas, one that did not turn out well as it, for reasons I am not aware of, rebooted my computer.
So I tried again, this time skipping my rebirth, and proceeded with my Xardas conversation which this time did come to completion, though I haven’t a clue as too what was said. After exploring Xardas’s newly expanded tower, he has a door and stairs now (why couldn’t he have such things before?) I did a little exploring. Here’s a little tip, after exiting the tower if you turn right you will soon come to a rather large cliff, it is best not to walk off of it. It’s quite painful if you do. And as you may have guessed I had not been told such sound advise, so I fell to a rather miserable death. As I lay there contemplating my fate I heard some strange noises and soon found myself being eaten by some very large animals. Luckily I was already dead, so there was no pain, and I at I was somewhat comforted that in my senseless death I could at least provide a good meal for a pair noble wolves.
So I started again and was, for a third time, resurrected by Xardas, what a nice necromancer he is. Though perhaps a bit long winded, he keeps lecturing me on something but I haven’t a clue what.
This time I decided to follow the road, and very soon came to a sheep. I stopped to look at when my computer froze. Well, at least this time I saved so I don’t have to listen to Xardas again.
I tried again, this time when I came across the sheep a was rather angry at it for freezing my computer. So I pulled out my little dagger and killed Mr. Sheep. As I was taking a look at its corpse I was shocked to see a goblin jump out at me from behind it. Luckily the goblin was very weak, at made a mistake attacking someone so mighty as me! I decided to see where the Goblin came form and came upon a spooky looking cave. I was scared but Boo told me not to worry. Oops sorry, wrong game.
Well, I entered the cave a fought off a couple more pathetic goblins, and I was now becoming quite confident, so when I saw movement in the dark ahead of me I bravely charged forth to face it! I was expecting to find perhaps a small group of goblins and I was ready to smite them, but I instead came face to face with a the biggest ugliest spider I could have ever imagined. Or perhaps these are some new version of the minecrawlers, and with its ugly some-thing-of-others it did smite me, and I was well smitten.
On my next try I came upon a nice farmer (at least I think he was nice, it’s hard to tell when you don’t speak the language), a shrine to Innos, and a bandit. I spoke to the bandit and dropped Xardas’s name, since it was the only word in the chat options I recognized, and the bandit seemed to become noticeable more agreeable, which left me quite surprised a moment later when he pulled his weapon and I was once again food for flies.
But again I re-loaded and soon came to some standing stones, which reminded me somewhat of Stonehenge. There were however some rather strange noises that seemed to come from all around me, which turned out to be three of these spider mine crawlers. To steal a line for Al Lowe, the creator of Leisure Suit Larry, ‘Save early, save often.’
I loaded my game again, and this time was greeted almost immediately by my first bloodfly. Unfortunately it happened at the same time that a came across both another wolf and a goblin. The wolf and goblin I dispatched mightily, only to be exterminated by the bloodfly.
I loaded yet again and was met by three bloodflies! What’s going on here?
This time the three bloodflies were still waiting, and this time there were two wolves as well. So I did what most anyone would do, I ran away like a little girl! And in all my fear I ran myself right off a cliff. Well, at least I took the wolves with me as they bit at my heels the entire way down.
This time I ran in a different direction, and even though the bloodflies did get a piece of me, they stopped following after only a short time. The wolves and a goblin did follow, but I came across a nice man who helped me find they, and afterward bought a few of my near worthless things. Unfortunately the better weapons were all more than I had. Yeah, I finally killed a spider mine crawler thing!
What is this!?!? The rats! The rats! They are stronger than the wolves! I have been killed by the giant rats!
I have come to a place that reminds me of the Old Camp, maybe it is the old camp, but it looks somehow prettier. At the gate I was yelled at by two guards, even though I wasn’t sure what they said my feeling where still hurt. I think they were asking for a bribe, there was the number 100 in one of the chat options. Unfortunately I only had 74 gold on me, yes gold not ore, so I refused to pay (I think) and simply walked forward without paying at which point I was accosted, beaten , and received killing blows by both guards!
I decided to look around city/camp and I thought I saw something in the bushes, so I went to investigate. It turns out that what was hiding in the bushes was actually some snappers. And as any of you who played the first one has probably guessed I again became dead meat. And the thus the snappers joyfully chomped away making squishy chomping noises all the while.
Well, I finally bribed my way in, and talked to a well armored man named Lothar. The only word I recognized was Paladin. And since I was only allowed by the demo to be in part of the city, and I can’t talk to anyone due to the language barrier, so here ends my little misadventure. I can’t wait for the English version!
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:46 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Why, not being able to compute the German dialogs really seems to add to the adventure!

And it's so good to hear that my near future PC upgrade will not be wasted on G2! Can't wait to try the demo on old faithful (=P3 600) :p
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:12 pm
Green Chili
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Some long rambling words about the demo

Nice nickname, by the way

quote:
On my next try I came upon a nice farmer (at least I think he was nice, it’s hard to tell when you don’t speak the language), a shrine to Innos, and a bandit.

Yes, he is nice... if you give the right answers

quote:
I spoke to the bandit and dropped Xardas’s name, since it was the only word in the chat options I recognized,

Bad idea - didn't Xardas tell you not to talk about his whereabouts??

Yes, it surely is very hard to understand anything in the story if you don't speak German - so all you can do for now is run around, admire the beauty of the world and try to kill powerful beasts... and wait for the translation.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:21 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

a hilarious account. Hopefully the code in the real game will be polished and lean, leading to fewer hang-ups. (I hope that's what the delay is for?)

On another note... how's your book SC? Is it published?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:48 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Unless the numbers are reversed, the heavy branch does twice as much damage as the dagger... seems to work pretty well on goblins and such...
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:30 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

What I want to know... is what this Shadowbeast is doing to my hero...

Click me

=Changed the img tag to a link, the pic was so huge it messed up thread layout. Jaz=
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Well, at least you got further than I did. After the opening cinematic, my computer froze on a black screen three times. CAD gives 'Gothic Not Responding' I have an AMD 1.4, a Gforce 4 and 512 RAM. Anyone any ideas why the lock-up?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:52 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

the bandit was relatively easy to kill but if you get in the cave, 2 more bandits will attack you, now that was a challenge. I was forced to use a fireball on one of em and I bashed the other one to heck

anyways, the secret areas are cool, although the lizards were too hard to kill....
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:12 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
What I want to know... is what this Shadowbeast is doing to my hero...

Click me

=Changed the img tag to a link, the pic was so huge it messed up thread layout. Jaz=

I hate that shadow beast...... a lot.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:13 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

Must be mindful of those on lower resolutions...

After taking another good look at the demo I say that it shows much promise, provided the English dialogue is of the same quality as the sound effects, the music, and the scenery...
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:20 am