SWG Review @ Worthplaying
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

SWG Review @ Worthplaying

Is everyone tired of Star Wars Galaxies controversy? I hope so because otherwise Worthplaying's <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=11769&mode=thread&order=0" target="_blank">review</a> will spark another round. With a near perfect score of 97% and an Editor's Choice award, it's obviously a glowing review. Here's the summary: <br><blockquote><em>Star Wars Galaxies has been hyped to an insane degree and rabidly anticipated by scores of wannabe Rebels and Imperials. To sum it up in a nice bundle Star Wars Galaxies is exactly the game that everyone wanted this MMORPG to be. With the upcoming vehicle addon that will allow people to ride creatures, landspeeders, and pilot starcraft the Star Wars Galaxies universe can only get bigger. Fans of other MMORPGs such as Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot will be blown away by the sheer level of quality that has been set forth into the game, and Star Wars fans will love the fact that the game stays true to the established storyline and plot elements. All in all, Star Wars Galaxies is one of the best MMORPGs released, fusing a well thought-out MMORPG base with the biggest sci-fi franchise in history, creating a game that is compelling, immersive, and simply fun to play.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:15 pm

Based on what I've read from players here, there can be no way this game could be a near perfect 97%.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:17 pm

hoyp::.

SOE must have payed that reviewer.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:26 pm

"To sum it up in a nice bundle Star Wars Galaxies is exactly the game that everyone wanted this MMORPG to be."

Well gee, thats funny, because I played the beta and hated it. So obviously, its not the game everyone wanted it to be, is it? I hate moronic reviewers who generalize like that.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:12 pm

Farscry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*sigh*

Yeah, SWG is exactly the game everyone wanted it to be. That's why there's such a schism throughout the gaming community regarding this MMOG.

Nice how they're rating it a 97% and saying that the upcoming addon which will include vehicles, landspeeders, and such can "only make it better".

Go read the back of the SWG box; it talks about player created cities, vehicles, and such. All as a part of the game you're buying off the shelf.

hmmm... 97% and editor's choice my @#%. Guess that's one website that's dropping a big notch on my credibility scale.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:12 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
"To sum it up in a nice bundle Star Wars Galaxies is exactly the game that everyone wanted this MMORPG to be."

Well gee, thats funny, because I played the beta and hated it. So obviously, its not the game everyone wanted it to be, is it? I hate moronic reviewers who generalize like that.

I like the game very much myself, but I'm forced to agree with you. It's really not as near perfection as the score seems to imply, and somehow I doubt that the game is even close to what "everyone" wanted it to be... I myself wasn't expecting a lot, but I know of a few people here that were disapointed by what they were presented with. Still, this doesn't mean the game is bad by any means But it's not worth 97%... yet

As far as saying that the reviewer was paid by SOE, I doubt that.... In fact, I really don'T believe that. It's just that the reviewer is excited by what he saw, and forgot to take all the bad that is obviously part of SWG into account before concluding. The bugs alone should have droped the score a good 10%.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:13 pm
TreeTrunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what about this part? curious about others' views

I have played many MMORPGs. I have seen many different 'moods' amongst players and all types of personalities.

I have not played SWG. For any of you that have played this title: in your opinion is the following excerpt from the review reasonably accurate:

quote:
"A major selling part of Galaxies rests on not any facet of the game itself but rather the players within. The players you meet in Galaxies are unlike the players in other MMORPGs, you’ll find that not only nearly everyone is friendly and willing to lend a helping hand or share a bit of experience but many will even go out of their way to assist you, sprinting towards you with a stimpak in hand if you are at the mercy of a marauding Krayt dragon. With Star Wars Galaxies you really get the sense of community when surrounded by other players in a city or in a camp."

Additionally, what did the author mean by his/her generalizations? How would your own observations relate to the general trends of MMORPGs and to the author's perceptions? Any insights would be welcome.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:17 pm
Ale

If you don't have the luxury of being in a beta and seeing a game for yourself, then when waiting for reviews, make sure you look for a wide variety of sources for your reviews before you make a purchase.

I have seen some examples (in the past) from gaming magazines of reviews that were clearly paid to give the games high ratings.

I generally focus my attention on the negative reviews and see if what they didn't like really matters to me. For some games (like a Might & Magic game), I find most of the complaints won't affect me and I love the game.

But I was in the SWG beta and I don't know of a worse MMORPG other than the startup problems of AO.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:54 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Some reviewers are on the take.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 pm
Aerothorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

He probably wasn't paid, but he IS an idiot. There is NO game, on the planet, ever made, that was everything everyone wanted it to be. Now frankly, I suspected Star Wars Galaxies would suck (I hate all other MMORPGs). I was hoping it would not, but I am not suprised. People who like repetition and sitting on their butts while their charecter takes 10 miniutes to kill a lair will have fun. People who want their games to be...how do I put this....always interactive and receiving input, compelling, will probably not.

Now I'm not singleing out SWG. I played Dark Age of Camelot and thought it was about as bad.

And its not that I don't like RPGs. Most of my fav games are RPGs. Deus Ex is my favorite game, for instnace. But I value innovation, and whether you love or hate SWG, its hard to argue that is is innovative.

Oh, and I was the second guest that posted(The one Ekim quoted) forgot to log in.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:22 am
Ale

Yes, MMORPGs are a tremendous time-sink (and the more you become self aware of it, the more you could call it a tremendous time-waste).

However, I have a problem with the flip-side. I find it absurd to pay $50 for a single-player game that I will be done with 3 days after I bought it (50 hours of play). This includes even the great games like Gothic and Arx Fatalis. These games should cost no more than $10 each.

A MMORPG will cost me a monthly fee of $12 or $15, but I will get anywhere for 200 to 500 hours out of it.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:35 am

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Ale, only 200 - 500 hours from MMORPG? thats pretty little.

When I played my first MMORPG (Asheron's Call) I had during the first year accumulated over 3 months of online time, meaning that I had spent one fourth of the entire year playing AC. That when calculated into hours means like 3 * 30 * 24 = 2160 hours. And of course that was only a rough estimate from the first year. I still have AC account active after over 3 years
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:12 pm