Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Opinions of Arcanum and Pool of Radiance (new one)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Here is a PoR2 Review that mentions the System-Killing Bug and some other nice "features" of the Game:

www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/reviews/poolofradiance2/por2-review-01182002.shtml

IMO they rated it far to good with 2 of 5 Stars.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:52 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Schattenherz
IMO they rated it far to good with 2 of 5 Stars.
I was surprised that they basically had as good 'spell effects and animations' and as bad 'everything else' ... and came up with 2/5.

Even more amazing is that the game got a 57% on MetaCritic, with some scores in the high-70's to low 80's. And I very much respect an 80% game - that is what I'd rate Elite Force II, which I very much enjoyed.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:48 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have PoR2 now, and played through Stillwater into the Main Halls. It seems very amatuerish, not very polished, and not very interesting. I don't expect it to stand next to ToEE graphically (which I'm playing now), but compared to IWD (also playing now) it just seems clunky. Look at it this way - it cost me less than the soda I was drinking while playing, so if I got an hour out of it, that's $1/hour ... better than any other game I know

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:22 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
Look at it this way - it cost me less than the soda I was drinking while playing, so if I got an hour out of it, that's $1/hour ... better than any other game I know

Ok, ok it sounds reasenable, just give it a try (1 hour) :].
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:05 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

So here is where I'm at:

- I played a few hours on Pool of Radiance, and filed it under 'never touch again'. Pure crap, as everyone noted.

- I played most of Lionheart - played as a Firemage. I made it to the Crypts, past the 'seer' areas and the Titans town. I'm not sure when I stopped enjoying it ... but I put ~40+ hours into it, and am thinking about going back soon as a fighter to re-do Barcelona.

- I'm starting Arcanum. I'm having a hard time getting into it ... trying for the right character - tried mage first, died too much, settling for a melee fighter.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

As a fighter in arcanum you'll die a lot, too. You just die a lot in arcanum. Like Fallout or Fallout 2 in a lot of ways... a bad crit can ruin your survival odds.

Starting as fighter is easier, though, if you don't want to do the 'harm harm harm' thing (I did it with an evil wizard and killed the entire first town, taking me from level 3 to ... 10? somewhere in there).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:47 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Arcanum is the only game worth playing among the ones mentioned in this thread.

Word of advice from someone who has played it FAR too much :
The easiest way to complete the game is a fighter/mage with skill focus on:
12 skillpoints in strength
12 in dex
5 in melee
5 in dodge
2 in white necromancy
12 in willpower
5 points in the magic school giving Teleport(and "unlock cantrip", a spell used to opening locks)

This is an "ultimate character build", so use it if you want to cruise through the game.

If you want to plan a character, remember that the level cap is 50, and you get a total of 64 skillpoints to distribute during the game.

Good luck!
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:40 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

And one more thing - do get all the pathces for Arcanum. Besides correcting some of the tons of bugs (the nicest of them all being the Intelligence reduction by Alexander), the last of them (I think) allowes your followers to continue to level up, after you reach lvl 50. And that sure is nice, since some of the better followers are available near the end game when you are either level 50 already or very, very close ...
Btw, I believe that the requrement for a level 5 spell was 18 Willpower? Or am I mistaken?
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:46 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It is 18.

I still don't see how people max out their levels ... so odd to me. My 'good' character, a diplomat with a horde of followers, finished the game at level 37. One of my 'bad' characters killed everything in the game that he saw once finished with it ... and ended up fighting the end boss at level 43.

Then again... I didn't do what you have to in other CRPGs and actively hunt random encounters for hours on end. That was part of Arcanum's appeal to me... it seemed that you could continue forward with all the quests and the game would provide you with enough experience to succeed without having to 'grind'.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:55 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Then again... I didn't do what you have to in other CRPGs and actively hunt random encounters for hours on end. That was part of Arcanum's appeal to me... it seemed that you could continue forward with all the quests and the game would provide you with enough experience to succeed without having to 'grind'.
I agree - I can handle a tough fight, but when it seems clear you're on the XP treadmill, levelling to win battles ... that isn't much fun. I'm glad I discovered Arcanum when I did (last August) ... I now look at it very fondly rather than as a buggy release ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:24 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I am not sure actually, since I barely remember a time when I have played the game and not ending up around level 40 a long time before going to Quintara even. And I was barely battling random encounters more than what I meet when traveling from place to place (but on the other hand, considering that there is a lot of travelling to do in the game, and most places are unavailable by ship or railroad, and most of the time I don't have the teleport spell, you can guess that there is quite a lot of battling anyway). Or maybe it was that I was trying to complete most of the quests? I am not sure ....
Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:23 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, I did tend to abuse Teleport with both characters that completed the game ... but even my sword swinging warrior-hero was just level 40 entering the "last place". Could he have gotten another 10 levels wandering around down there? Possibly.

I tended to have large parties as well... which nuked your xp if I recall correctly. My diplomat in particular had a legion of ogres, elves, and humans (and dogs) following along. Most fights ended before he could even cast a spell (most used spell was healing followed by ressurrection).

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:14 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
... Most fights ended before he could even cast a spell (most used spell was healing followed by ressurrection).

I can just see that. Thanks Xen, I needed the laugh.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:44 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually, Xen, I think I got it why you usually finish at level 40. I just forgot your natural aptitude to play evil characters, and if I remember correctly, the evil way of getting to the "Last Area" was a lot shorter than the good way
Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:22 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

seeing how enthusiastic you guys still are about Arcanum I just ordered it for myself. I will get it in a couple of days so I can decide for myself how much of a classic this game is
Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:24 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next