CoC...WOW!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

CoC...WOW!

I think I understand why everyone is so hyped about the Cane of Corpus. Habib the faerie ninja has gone from dud to stud just like that. The paralyze effect is incredibly valuable. I doubt I'll ever use a ninja again, but I'm glad I did it once.

Got a new-to-me item in one of the egg dungeons just now- the "Estoc de Olivia". It's a ranger-only sword with decent damage (7-23 IIRC) and +15 to vitality. Unfortunately, my game crashed shortly after, so I may have lost it, depending on when the last autosave when thru. I've developed my ranger as a frontline ax machine this time, so losing that sword won't bother me too much.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:30 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

:]

yes, yes very powerful item, but - well - I never really used it, do not why.
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:32 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: CoC...WOW!

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Got a new-to-me item in one of the egg dungeons just now- the "Estoc de Olivia". It's a ranger-only sword with decent damage (7-23 IIRC) and +15 to vitality. Unfortunately, my game crashed shortly after, so I may have lost it, depending on when the last autosave when thru. I've developed my ranger as a frontline ax machine this time, so losing that sword won't bother me too much.
Why an axe machine? After all the posts here about the plethora of swords and paucity of axes, I wouldn't have thought you would have put a lot time into axe skill. First time through, my ranger was a swordsman from the start, not even knowing what I know now about the game.

And following this thought, I eventually stopped my valkyrie's use of a polearm (spear of death), even though she has like a 98 polearm skill. Fighting with Excalibur (bringing her sword skill from 0 to a little over 50 in a relatively short amount of game time, since her close combat skill was already high), she is doing far more damage than she ever did with her polearms.
Post Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: CoC...WOW!

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Why an axe machine? After all the posts here about the plethora of swords and paucity of axes, I wouldn't have thought you would have put a lot time into axe skill. First time through, my ranger was a swordsman from the start, not even knowing what I know now about the game.

And following this thought, I eventually stopped my valkyrie's use of a polearm (spear of death), even though she has like a 98 polearm skill. Fighting with Excalibur (bringing her sword skill from 0 to a little over 50 in a relatively short amount of game time, since her close combat skill was already high), she is doing far more damage than she ever did with her polearms.
Did the axe for variety. First winning crew, I had the ranger in the back row, so he practically never meleed. I don't even remember what he was using. Second winning crew, I realized that the ranger actually could be a decent melee guy. I put him in the middle with a polearm and he did remarkably well. This time, I wanted to try something different. Actually, it's worse than just that. I decided to develop my whole party with a "no swords" stipulation. I eventually gave my gadgeteer the diamond epee, but she hardly ever melees anyway. I'm planning on keeping my valk on polearms for the same reason. I'm finding that the stun rod (or is it the shock rod? The more expensive one) I purchased in LMB is better than any other polearm I've come across so far (haven't gotten to the spear of death yet)- decent damage, a small initiative penalty, and a good paralyze percentage.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this approach for first-timers, because you are 100% correct about swords being great and axes being lousy in Wiz8.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:47 am
otter
One of Us

The T'rang have an even kewler Rod, it's in the room with the gas trap door.
I've found the two types most consistantly more powerful than swords in this game are a Lord dualling Mauler and Diamond Eyes (Mauler Mace bonus + Lord Dual bonus = the best use of both weapons) And of course a FN with CoC and Rod o'Sprites. Unfortunately, FN's can't wear Inf'y Helms and drag the rest down too much (for me).
That's an original handicap, no swords...I once gave a L8 Ranger two Doubleshot Crossbows (EDIT: a couple games later i discovered the weapon selector lock ) and filled up her inventory to just under green with quarrels (after -i think- 50 Bow Skill they reload themselves) just to build Bow skill, and ended up finishing the game with her like that. Everybody else had maces or a staff.
Post Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:30 am