Problems already! =[
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Problems already! =[

Installed it, tried to play it. Nothing but a black screen. There are numerous reports of the same thing happening to alota people on the NWN Support Forum. What's goin on?
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:57 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

The following is copied directly from BioWare's site and are the KNOWN ISSUES. You can extrapolate out that most problems for the first week or so are going to be related to video (drivers or unsupported cards).

My guess is that if you bought Morrowind and were able to get it working...NWN will probably work too.

1.01 Compatible refresh rate not being detected for high resolutions (Back to Top)

The game may try to set your refresh rate to an invalid value when you change resolutions through the Config utility or through the ingame menus. If this happens, you can manually set your refresh rate by editing the nwn.ini file. Open the file in notepad and look for the [Display Options] section. You should find a line that reads:

RefreshRate=

Ensure the number after the = is a valid refresh rate (if you aren't sure, 60 should be safe).

1.02 Texture Pack Compatibility Mode (Back to Top)

This mode is currently unstable. You may experience problems when using the 16 meg (compatibility mode) textures. To avoid any possible problems, pick the regular 16 meg texture pack.

1.03 Inventory bags and plot specific items (Back to Top)

If you drag plot specific items from a container directly to an inventory bag, the game may not realize you've obtained the item. You should rearrange objects in your main inventory for the new item, put it on the ground, and pick it up into your main inventory. Once this has been done, you can put them into a container if you'd like.

1.04 Desktop color depth must be 32 bit (Back to Top)

Access the display properties either through Control Panel or by right clicking the desktop and choosing properties. Under the settings tab, ensure True Color (32 bit) is chosen.

1.05 Software firewalls (Zone Alarm, Norton Personal Firewall, etc) (Back to Top)

Keep in mind you must allow Neverwinter Nights to act as a server and access the internet.

1.06 Not detecting the Play Disc (Back to Top)

The game uses CD copy protection. This type of protection occasionally has incompatibility issues with certain CD and DVD drives. If you are experiencing difficulties with launching the game post-install, try rebooting your computer and try running the executable again - this seems to work in the majority of cases.

1.07 Problems running the game with 3DFX cards (Back to Top)

3DFX is no longer in business; although some Voodoo 5 cards may work occasionally they are no longer supported by 3DFX and available drivers do not generally include complete OpenGL support required for Neverwinter Nights. Hence, 3DFX graphics cards are not supported by NWN.

1.08 Movie player and Windows 98 and Windows ME (Back to Top)

The movie player may not work properly under Windows 98 or Windows ME with certain video cards. Updated drivers may help.

If you are having slow movie playback under Windows 98 or Windows ME you can edit the "SafeMovie=1" entry in your nwn.ini file to "SafeMovie=0" - this will improve playback speed in-game but may introduce problems where the sound plays but the movies visuals do not. We mention this purely as an option for the advanced user.

1.09 Minimizing while saving/loading (Back to Top)

The game may become unstable if you Alt-Tab while loading or saving a game.

1.10 WindowsXP and OpenGL (Back to Top)

The default video drivers provided with Windows XP do not have robust Open GL support. Upgrade your drivers if you have Windows XP as soon as possible.

1.11 WindowsXP and Soundblaster Live (Back to Top)

Sounds may not play correctly or the game may crash under Windows XP if you are using the default drivers for the Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Cards. Please upgrade your drivers as soon as possible.

1.12 Internet Multiplayer Server Selection / Chat Area (Back to Top)

To avoid any possible problems when on the internet multiplayer server selection screen / chat area, leave the following filters unchecked:

Hide Local Vault
Hide Server Vault
Hide Password Protected

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:24 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I've tried everything I can think of, except reinstalling windows, which isn't happening. If these people are gonna slap a $60 price tag on a game, IT BETTER DAMN WELL WORK. That's what beta testing is for. I understand that this game is brand new and new games tend to have problems within the first week or so. I'll give them about a week to post a patch, or make some kind of official announcement. I'm not on the best system in the world at the moment, but I believe you should not have to completely redesign your friggen system to be able to play a game. I mean come on, you put it in, install it, and press play. It should run smoothly from there on in. I truly hope that I won't be disappointed and have to return NWN. Because the next best thing right now is probably Warcraft III and I can not stand RTS games. =[

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:37 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Gomez,

Why don't you post your complete system specs including driver info and the errors you are getting. I won't be able to help you since I don't have the game yet, but we should start compiling the specific problems so as each of us tweak (or upgrade) our systems to get it to work, everyone will benefit.

Try out the different suggestions above and let us know what happens, please.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:44 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Processor Manufacturer:Intel
Processor Type:Celeron
Operating System / Service Pack:Microsoft Windows ME
System RAM:191 MB
Video Card Manufacturer:Intel Corporation
Video Card Model:Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
Video Card RAM:3.5 MB
Video Card Driver Version:4.12.01.2576
Sound Card Manufacturer: Could you tell me how to check this?
Sound Card Model:??
Sound Card Driver Version:??
Problem Description:Installs, and I got to the server connect screen once.A message came up saying that I couldn't connect to gamespy (or something to that extent) and asked me to retry or cancel. I retried several times, then reloaded NWN. This time I pressed the play button and got a black flickering screen, the mouse pointer was still seen, and the sound looped.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:23 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I think that the 3.5 MB video card is the source of your problems.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:26 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Well I'm on my grandma's computer, mine is 10x better, but I have no internet connection at home, and she has a cable. So here I will stay untill I get a job, and a cable connection. Anyways 3.5 is my problem? Well that is BS. NWN is the only game I've ever had trouble with on this computer, and I have played many. WTF does Bioware think everyone has $10,000 systems??? Psshhhhh!!

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:37 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Alright it's working now! Well.....you could say that. I can actually make a character and join a game now, but the screen still lags/flickers every few seconds.From the minute I press play it does this.....weird...

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:50 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Okay, don't keep us in suspense! What did you do to make it work?

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:52 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

quote:
Originally posted by Gomez The Mad
Well I'm on my grandma's computer, mine is 10x better, but I have no internet connection at home, and she has a cable. So here I will stay untill I get a job, and a cable connection. Anyways 3.5 is my problem? Well that is BS. NWN is the only game I've ever had trouble with on this computer, and I have played many. WTF does Bioware think everyone has $10,000 systems??? Psshhhhh!!

The problem is the low system memory, coupled with the low graphics memory (the inboard graphics uses your system RAM to buffer the graphics chip) and the Intel integrated graphics are notoriously buggy with newer games. Your sound is probably integrated also. That would be your problem.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::

Last edited by ButtOfMalmsey on Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:22 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Your system memory is fine - above recommended, but NWN requires a 16 meg video card. Running DXDIAG from the command prompt in that version of Windows may provide you with more information about your sound card, etc.

Don't feel bad... I built myself a new system for Morrowind, which still blew chunks framerate-wise after all the new hardware and tweaks. What I can say is that NWN runs as smooth as silk on higher-end systems, which is really nice after Morrowind. It may even be worth hanging onto until your next upgrade.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:57 am
Burack

Video Mem

Come on now...Intel graphics with 3.5MB video mem and you are wondering why the game isn't working?

If games never required better technology the games themselves would never get more robust and include more eye candy.

Upgrade your video card.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:19 pm

Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Upgrade my card? I'm not putting a dime in a computer that isn't mine. I'll either wait till I go home to my computer or sell it to a friend. From what I did play of it I don't think I'll like it as much as I would have liked to like it.

Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:57 pm
Burack

Video Card

It was just a suggestion.

Morrowind, however, ugh!!!

That game runs like crap and was constantly crashing on my new pc.

Brought it back to get Neverwinter.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:31 pm

Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hmmm

I heard all these problem with Morrowind, my old system ran it well, and after I upgraded no problems.

Bascially as was stated above, when you get a new game, always check back and get the lastest drivers for everything...

and a 3.5meg graphic card will do zip and all for you with any game.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next