i am intensely PO'd
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i am intensely PO'd

my module is a work of crap. i can't get the scripting right, the one guy who says what he's supposed to the way hes supposed to only says that one thing and theres a spelling error in it, the Dragon Warriors are attacking the merchants for no apparent reason, the people who should be sitting aren't sitting, the lady who's supposed to be training won't train, the "patrols" don't move, and 90% of the Dragon Warriors have no weapons.

I AM INTENSELY P.O.'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you for your time.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:06 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Well, I guess you basically expressed your feelings pretty clearly.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:28 am
domx7
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

might i call attention to your signiture?
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:10 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: i am intensely PO'd

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
my module is a work of crap. i can't get the scripting right, the one guy who says what he's supposed to the way hes supposed to only says that one thing and theres a spelling error in it, the Dragon Warriors are attacking the merchants for no apparent reason, the people who should be sitting aren't sitting, the lady who's supposed to be training won't train, the "patrols" don't move, and 90% of the Dragon Warriors have no weapons.

I haven't figured out how to use waypoints for patrolling yet, but perhaps I can help you with some other things?

First, the reason why your Dragon Warriors have no weapons is either because:
1) you didn't give them any, in which case go to the creature's properties, then click on the Inventory button below the model preview window, and choose a weapon in the standard list. Drag and drop the weapon to the creature's weapon slot, and voila!
2) You gave your creature a weapon it can't weild because of class/level restrictions. I made that mistake a few times myself. For instance, if you gave your level 5 warrior a level 10 weapon, he won't be able to use it, so when he spawns in your module he will automatically sheathe his weapon. What you need to do is either change the weapon's stats so it will be toned down enough for your creature, or choose another one that will suit him better.

Now, the reason your Dragon Warriors are attacking the merchants is most probably due to factions. You have 4 basic factions allready preloaded in every module. Commoner, Hostile, Merchants, and I forget the last one... Anyway. There's a good chance that your Dragon Warriors are set to Hostile while your merchants are set to either merchants or Commoner. You see, hostiles will atack everything around them. Hostiles are set to be disliked by everyone, and to dislike everyone all the same, except towards other hostiles which they won't attack. The easiest way to fix this, if your Dragon Warriors are supposed to be friendly to everyone, is to change their faction from Hostile to Commoner. That way they won't harm a fly... unless they are attacked first.
If what you aim for is for them to leave the peasants and merchants alone, but still attack the players, then you'll need to create a new faction which will be friendly to merchants and commoners, and hostile towards players. If you play around with the factions a bit you'll see that it's pretty straightforward

Now, it's hard to help you with conversations like this. I don'T know what type of scripts you want to have them do, and it would be too long to go over it here. I suggest, if you haven't done so allready, that you go to the official NWN website and look at the Builder's guide they have for download there. It's a nice 36 page PDF that is invaluable for basics in the toolset, and you might clear up a few problems you're having with your conversations with it.

Hope that helps you out, and good luck!

EDIT: Oops! Maybe I should put a direct link to the dowload page where the PDF actually is, huh? So here it is:
http://nwn.bioware.com/builders/modtutorial.html
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:37 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Hagatha
Well, I guess you basically expressed your feelings pretty clearly.

why thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by domx7
might i call attention to your signiture?

you might, but Habakkuk wasn't referring to computers.

j/k thanx for pointing that out to me. it calmed me down a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
...perhaps I can help you with some other things?

thanx ekim, yer a life saver . i'll be flipping through the DM tools guide for stuff about waypoints sometime today. as for the rest...

the Dragon Warrior's weapons:
1.) i know that's not right. i spent about an hour or two on saturday customizing their inventories.
2.) thats most likely the cause, tho i could have sworn i checked their levels and jacked up their lore...meh i'll just remove the weapon properties not like they really need bastard swords +1 with strength bonuses against some measely lvl 1 chars.

fanatic Dragon Warriors:
the fourth Faction is defenders, which is what i made the Dragon Warriors. the merchants are merchants. (what a surprise! ) however, before i went to the boards, i loaded up the mod again, and noticed that the merchants being attacked are the ones that have blueprints that used to be hostile. so either i mucked about with the faction settings so that defenders hate merchants or i forgot to edit the factions of some merchants.

i'll check the site right now.

thanks ekim!
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:56 pm
domx7
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

re:

If you are THAT interested, give me an email and ill explain WPs, and patroling. I can write you some basic scripts perhaps if i have time and knowledge.

email: domx7@hotmail.com
AIM: DomXSeven
Y!: domxseven
MSN: domx7@hotmail.com

The one and the only,
DomXSeven
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:47 am