Usergroups
Horses in game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

hey everyone I need a prety girlfriend or Gothic III, or else I might do something bad, realy bad
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:07 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:

hey everyone I need a prety girlfriend or Gothic III, or else I might do something bad, realy bad

Please go back playing G2, hehehe
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:37 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Heloo everyone, please help me.
Here are some prices of videocards in my country http://www.riscom.com/komplektujuschie/videokarty
could someone tell me if it's cheap or expensive in comparation with your country, the prices there are in Euro.
Thank you very mutch I apreciate your help.
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I think they´re more expensive than in Germany, some cards more, some cards less. You can check German prices on www.geizhals.at (click on the German flag).
Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:00 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
what do you mean "hard to move, etc?"

Many things like switching between speeds of moving. And you always has combat matters, they couldn't do it great without a horse, how about with one. Also a horse is a being, you gotta let him drink water, get mad and so on. I donno but it will be too hard to make i guess.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:23 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Only place I've seen horses implemented in an OK way is in World of Warcraft, and I don't want horses like that in Gothic. Have you ever seen a horse jump backwards or sideways in WoW? That would look incredibly dumb in a game like Gothic that wants to feel realistic.

And issues like that keep coming to mind, such as needing a completely new combat system for horseback-fighting(would be stupid to have a WoW system where the horse simply vanished in the thin air if you were attacked). Also, moving around might be a bit clumsy because horses actually do not move sideways, like they do in so many games.

Like I said, if they do it in a good way, go ahead, but it's very hard to make it right.

Regarding armors, I really liked the armor system in Gothic 1-2. In Morrowind my character always looks like a freak(unless he puts on an entire set, Ordinator set, Imperial set, Imperial Templer set etc, and that kind of removes the point in having it in pieces, no?). I just completed it about a week ago, and with the Lords Mail, the weird looking uber right bracer you get from Vivec(needed to wield the final uber weapons in the game), some other high-end crap, and everything enchanted - he looks like a bug-exterminator in a plastic suit. Seriously, the novices in the swamp camp look more kickass than my dude in Morrowind.

Oh well, I at least hope you have the option of getting full armors, because you look a lot more a part of the world. There is a reason why the Romans looked far more kickass than the Scottish under William Wallace you know, hehe.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:09 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Zelda imo had a good implemention of a horse system.

However I'd like horses to be more realistic.

I don't see why people think they can't do it. I mean as long as they know the way horses behave/their limits and such I think they could do fairly good.

As far as combat goes, what's so bad about it? Balance it out , let them use swords/bows, etc on horseback, but don't let them use all their certain moves and things since their lower half is kind of...fixed on the horse, for bows let them take a accuracy/sway hit to the bow.

However give additions like Lances to use, aswell as horse abilites like kicking, etc.

Horses should NOT be treated as an "item" or a simple "vehicle." They should always be present in the world and never in your pocket or anything, let them have stables and such in towns where you can board up your horse.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:41 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's the thing. Any idea what kind of implementation we are talking about here? Different fighting(fighting from a horse is very different than on the ground), movement, balance, graphical issues. We're talking quite a lot of time to make all this, and is it worth it? A few months delay because of horses is not worth it imho.

Still, we don't know whether it is in or not, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
That's the thing. Any idea what kind of implementation we are talking about here? Different fighting(fighting from a horse is very different than on the ground), movement, balance, graphical issues. We're talking quite a lot of time to make all this, and is it worth it? A few months delay because of horses is not worth it imho.

Still, we don't know whether it is in or not, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Just wait a second look at this screenshot
http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/109120
it's from Oblivion they have horses there and if they were able to do that,
it will no problem for a such talented team like PB. So if there will be horses in Gothic they will be great and there is no doubt in that.
Post Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:08 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

That screenshot really shows nothing mate

Putting horses in the game will be as hard as all the game IMHO. So... If they can do it right, it'll be nice. But i doubt it ..
Post Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:52 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I hope that the armor will be in parts, but that they will match. I don't want to run aroun in some patch-work armor. I hated that in Sacred, I want beautiful armor parts that form a great set together.

Hey, think of it as a quest of sorts ... Gotta get a set of greaves to go with these here vambraces!

I actually like the patchwork look ... it allows a certain realism otherwise lacking. I mean if you are not an amazingly wealthy noble or part of an elite unit you have to make do with what you can find, right?
Post Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:15 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lintra, no matter what army or guild you were a part of in medieval times, you usually got their uniform and gear to go with it. Style was important, and only brigangs and bandits looked way off, unless you count some lowly infantry.

Take Romans as an example, they do look a wee bit cooler than the Scottish following William Wallace, no?

In fact, it is the opposite of realistic with patch-work armors. You can't simply slap together a random shoulder with a random breastplate. They won't fit. Most plate armors were custom-built for the knight, or "mass"-produced sets that fit together. Only chainmail and the like can be slapped together. Also, if you were to be seen by an officer in anything but your uniform, you'd probably get killed on the spot, or at least kicked out or fined heavily.

Of course, it depends on the armies' resources. Some had matching uniforms, others didn't, but usually the organized armies of the different kings around in Europe had specific gear.

I have seen the horse screenshot of Oblivion, but that really doesn't prove much. Horses have been in plenty games, but in almost every one of them it's been utter crap. Like you said though, PB are a bit more talented than most, so if it is indeed in G3, I trust it will be done well.
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:11 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
...Also, if you were to be seen by an officer in anything but your uniform, you'd probably get killed on the spot, or at least kicked out or fined heavily.

This is not true until much later. The introduction of 'national' uniforms wasn't until around the era of the 30 years war ... maybe Frederik the Great. Until then wealthy mercenary units and elite guards would have uniforms ... but even then, only to the extent that a similar hauberk (sp?) was worn.

I am not 100% sure about the status of Roman units ... in my head I picture uniform legions of men standing in a row, but I can't recall reading anything on it one way or the other. My guess would be that the over organized and orderly Romans would insist on some uniformity, but I doubt that uniformity would extend from legion to legion, and certainly would not extend to the auxillary units that became so important to their armies as time went on.

Full plate mail as we picture it in games was *extremely* rare and really didn't exist until the 1400's or later. It was amazingly expensive and hard to craft and had to be made for each person individually.

As to uniformity of manufacture, please recall that there were no factories so the chain shirt made by one smith might look very different from the coif made by another. Same for all the other types used in FRPGs (Banded, Scale etc).

A plate or semi plate set of vambraces or greave could be made to be pretty much one size fits many and pretty quickly slapped together, throw that in with a set of scale (also realitively easy to make), a chaif coif and a pot helmet and voila! A regular heavy infantry. But what a mish mash of armor types.

Also, given the price of making new stuff, when outfitting my baron's new heavy infantry company I will hunt through the stores of captured armor and old stuff before making a new set of scale for one of these guys. So my company will be a mix of captured, old and new armor ... *not* very uniform at all! So if my Baron is the fussy fidgety foppish type, he might insist on making his company look better, so what do I do? Grab some cloth (much, much cheaper to purchace and maintain than paint etc) and make hauberk (if I am clever enought to think of that or have seen it before).

End Rant.
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:51 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well this armor is a thing of style you know, for example take our days you may buy a suit and it will look great on you, and you also can buy pants and jacket apart, it also will look great.
but you can't combine a clasic jaket with trackpants, you have tastes you can chose how to dress and you can analyse if it looks great on you or not.
And in the 3rd part o Gothic it won't be necesary to join with someone you can be on your own and it won't be necessary to look like the others
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:18 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

And by the way I almost forgot, it's interesting all the weapons will be available, from the begining or it will be the same thing like in G1 and G2?
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:25 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next