43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author Thread
Hignaki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All hail the nerds!

I've just noticed, most of us are or seem to be nerds...and here is something I want to say...

All Hail The Nerds! I happen to be a huge nerd, and I am also very proud of it. I watch anime daily, along with the movies, and I play D&D...that alone should qualify me.

But Wait! Theres more! I also know many nerdy things, like I know HTML and Hexidecimal editing. I also know binary numbers through 100! Remember: There are only 10 types of people in this world-those who know binary and those who don't. Get it? I thought so...

Back on-topic: I'm proud!

Fel free to post...
Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:25 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

That's all fine and dandy, but how many digits of pi have you memorized?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:32 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I kind of dislike the nerd designation. I was showing some guy how to do something in MS Word, and he exclaimed "Oh! You're a computer nerd!". It's pretty pigeon-holing (is that a verb?).

Being into anime may be taken to be a sign of being a "nerd" but it's also a sign of having an appreciation of art. Personally I think rational scientific thought has its place, and artistic or mystical "appreciation" also has its place, in another domain, that doesn't compete with the scientific aspect of life.

So although I am nerdy in some respects, I also get into appreciating artistic and emotional stuff, and I wouldn't ever put anyone down for being arty. I'm not threatened by that, because I see the scientific way of thinking as invincible within its own domain.

To be (slightly) less vague, I can get shivers down my spine when all the sensory/emotional aspects of some situation come together, but I get really irritated by fake scientific new age thinking and what they call "sympathetic magic" (like rhino horn must be an aphrodisiac because it looks like...).

So anyway, I don't like being called a nerd, because I think I understand the complementary roles of rationality and spirituality better than a lot of people, and certainly better than "psychics", "homeopaths", etc., for whom spirituality is a kind of bad science rather than an emotional experience.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:50 am
Hignaki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think that the second paragraph of that post proved my point... J/K Really, though. I like being a 'nerd'. Showing someone something in MS Word isn't nerdy, that was just the person using slang incorrectly (look, an oxy moron!). Be proud! I don't just watch anime for action, most of them are acually deep stories with romance or developing friendships. Most of the people I know don't know it as anything other than the HORRID DBZ action cartoon. Hate the game, not the player.

But I do agree with you on the spirituality point. Though, I would like to talk to you ablut that in another topic of PM sometime...

Just realize that this is an online forum, and I am trying to have some fun. Be happy!

Last edited by Hignaki on Fri May 09, 2003 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's a personal failing of mine that I only know 12. I'm afraid you can only claim junior-grade nerd-dom until you you can do at least 10 digits.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:57 am
Hignaki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah, but there are different types of Nerd-dom in my world. Do you know that Hexidecimal is a base 16 number system: 0123456789ABCDEF? And I know THAT! I bet that compensates.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 4:02 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hmm, maybe you didn't read my post very carefully?

I said "Being into anime may be taken to be a sign of being a "nerd" but it's also a sign of having an appreciation of art. " I agree with you that anime is worthwhile.

My understanding of "nerd" is that it is similar to "high-functioning autistic", meaning that one is good at scientific and technical stuff, but lacking sophisticated emotional/artistic understanding. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

In fact, I am so into Japanese comics, I learnt to read Japanese! Now I'm working as a translator. (Well, I should be, but it's boring so I post here...)
Post Fri May 09, 2003 4:14 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I most certainly not a nerd. I am a semi-geek.
Allow me to demonstrate.

Geek--> <--Strong silent type, with a touch of Taoist thrown in.*

*This is in real life. A person can be quiet in real life while being a (insert whatever insult you think works best) on-line.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 7:59 am
Hignaki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Though we agree on most things, I look at the term 'nerd' as something to be proud of, while you look at is as something used to put people down, Scrivener. But, scientific thinking IS almost invisible in itself, and I like that way of thinking.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 2:53 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

*peeks in with comment*

Wondering: Does the fact that I am VERY excited about increasing to 100 G's of HD and somewhat angry that I can't increase my RAM make me a "Geek" or a "Nerd"?

. . . . .just curious.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 8:31 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Yes.
I would elaborate, but I am PO'd right now (and for the rest of the weekend) and my response would be tainted.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 10:25 pm
Hignaki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think that waiting for 100 gigs of HD space qualifies you as a nerd, a geek is a person who acts like a nerd, but is not really smart at all.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 3:38 am
rathan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Me not nerd! You stupid
Post Sat May 10, 2003 3:50 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Hignaki
I think that waiting for 100 gigs of HD space qualifies you as a nerd, a geek is a person who acts like a nerd, but is not really smart at all.

Naa, I geek is someone that likes things that others see as silly, like fantasy novels/games, poetry, and singing loudly in the shower.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 3:57 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I have gotten contact lenses, worn cool clothes, driven cool vehicles, listened to cool music, even dated hot girls, it doesnt matter. I cannot escape it, it is my true nature, and my fate. Here I sit in front of my pc listening to King Diamond, excited that i just found out System Shock2 is now abandonware. A true Nerd after all these years, and proud of it. I am nerd, hear me roar ='.'=
*roars so loud the WaLLs ShAKE!*

I wonder if there is a difference between a nerd and a geek as described, or if its simply the degree of nerdiness that decrees ones station in life. The term "nerd" seems to have been around alot longer, and has somewhat more nostalgic and sentimental value to it. The word "nerd" has a cute sound to it, like some high-falutin' hot chick would actually have pity in her heart to rain down her blessings upon some lonely nerd, just for charity's sake. Just to possibly go "where no girl has gone before", it would be like feeding the hungry or somthing. It also seems to be less of a vile word, as to where "geek" almost seems as though it carries a harder tone to it, as if the person in question was too over the edge of nerd-dom and loses the compassion (or pity) that a true nerd might invoke. But on the other hand, the term "geek" invokes more of a techy feel, like a programming contest between a nerd and a geek would end up with the geek the victor every time. Maybe geeks are just harder versions of nerds, who trade what little social graces they have, either by heredity or consciously, for technical wizardry.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat May 10, 2003 4:58 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next