English&Geman
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
nemo16
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

English&Geman

I heard that the first appearence will be in German.d'ohhhh..... and the english version will appear few weeks(maybe months) later. I think that the english version has the high priority( ) because most of players have nothing to do with German ......
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:57 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

German developer, German & Austrian publishers, 95% of the community speaks German ... sounds like they got their priorities right.

If headcount is the critierion the first version should be Chinese.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:26 pm
nemo16
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmm

.....I know that ,but 1 month (or ....) means long time , as far as I know whole the world it's looking forward this game&not everybody speaks german
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:10 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: Hmm

quote:
Originally posted by nemo16
.....I know that ,but 1 month (or ....) means long time , as far as I know whole the world it's looking forward this game&not everybody speaks german

yeah, yeah.... But not all the people speaks english as well! My German knowlenge is absolutely nothing. I understand only a vary few things. The English is a bit better, but as you see i can't speak english perfectly... so....
So i won't get Gothic in my language (Hungarian) because nobody spend time to translate. So as i said never!!!!!!
And abaut the english version, i read an interwiev abaut the translation, they start it ASAP but they start it with the biggest languages. (English, Chinese...) And they say the English version will be ready abaut a mounth later . But they won't translate it for languages like Hungarian, so some sucker will try to translate it. I don't have to tell it, it will be very poor.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:09 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
German developer, German & Austrian publishers, 95% of the community speaks German ... sounds like they got their priorities right.

So perfectly answered to this subject one can hardly add anything. Still I'd like to say the next thing. I'll be glad if they can keep it at just one month after the German release and don't pull a NotR on us.
NFG member
Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:21 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I should hope so since you can't get Notr in english yet, just preorder it...

god that was annoying thank god for all the ppl on the translation mod team, we love you guys we really do
Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:07 am
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

yeah everybody thinks
Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:22 pm
qcputwqvmrorib
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, the translation of the Addon came very late. But this time they will do better. As far as I know, they are planing the game in German and English. Already a few months ago a draft of a sequell was published, which was in English. Probably g3 will be published in English at the same time as the German version or only a few weeks later. A few days ago the community was informed, that Aspyr Media will become the publisher of G3 in North Amerika. I hope that this time you will not have to wait long.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:35 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: English&Geman

quote:
Originally posted by nemo16
:-? I heard that the first appearence will be in German.d'ohhhh..... and the english version will appear few weeks(maybe months) later. I think that the english version has the high priority( :cry: ) because most of players have nothing to do with German ...... :o

Just wanted to say, as a German:

HAW-HAW!

Well.

Most games are first published in English (and Japanese) and get their translation to German later or never. I say it's just fair. There are even games which don't reach the German market at all because of heavy mature content.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:16 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've said this in another thread, but I'd really like to see subtitling in games become widespread, as with DVDs. Personally, I would love to be able to play games from around Europe and Asia, in their original languages and subbed. PC games (and from now on, maybe console games too) could easily be upgraded with a new language pack when it arrives, if the user so desires, and the release of the game isn't delayed.

Fast release isn't my main concern though, it's that localisation jobs are so often insultingly poor. Take Siren, for example (or Forbidden Siren, if you prefer) - a superb Japanese horror game, ruined by an absolutely appalling English dub. Same goes for Way Of The Samurai 2. The first Way Of The Samurai used only text for dialogue, and was far superior. Shenmue had awful, stilted English speech in the European release, and the sequel took the far better approach of subbing all dialogue. The Moment Of Silence on PC, I'm not sure what language that began in, but I got the feeling the original dialogue may have had some depth and humanity to it - totally messed up, of course, in the English translation. Bottom line is, publishers (generally) aren't going to give a high priority to localisation; they're just not going to lay out sufficient funds for the job to be done properly. Gothic 1 and 2 are exceptions - it's pretty rare for a game to be held back for so long for localisation, when the "native" version is already out on the shelves, and I do remember the English dialogue/acting being pretty good by videogame standards. That shows a willingness to get the job done properly, but those responsible are definitely in a tiny minority.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:41 am
svartalv
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Think about how many million people speak or at least can understand english in the world and how many deutsch... And it is supposed that gothic 3 will be the 'opening' for gothic to the mainstream area with decent distribution worldwide etc , so...
English is THE international language

respectfully, Svart

Forever alone,immortal...
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to our forum!

quote:
Originally posted by svartalv

Sure, but it´s not JoWooD´s primary market. It´s only normal for a smaller company to collect the easy money first.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:20 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd like to add that in the good old days of Gothic - when G1 and 2 came out, one month is NOTHING, hehe. We had to wait ages for the English version, and let's not even start on the add-on.. I recall Gorath here writing a review about the add-on(here on gothicdot I believe) a year at least before I got to play a fan-translated version of the add-on..
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:55 pm
svartalv
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by svartalv

quote:
Originally posted by gorath
Sure, but it´s not JoWooD´s primary market. It´s only normal for a smaller company to collect the easy money first.

Thanks Gorath!

At least let me bet that after Gothic 3, it won't be a small company anymore , and I think they know that....

Forever alone,immortal...
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:42 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I dont care any more where it gets released i just want the damn thing already
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:06 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next