I Just Got NeverWinter Nights
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I Just Got NeverWinter Nights

After waiting for a few months for Morrowind to come out on Xbox it still hasn't. I was wondering in the shops feeling pretty pissed off about games not being released in Australia at the same time when, I came across Neverwinter Nights. I was so surprised, how long has this game been out in America? I quickly bought it and came home but before I started playing I saw it advertised at another store for $9 less. Oh, damn. I'm going to return it tommorow and buy it at the other place but that means I can't play it today.
Is there anything I need to know about this game, is it good, does it have any major problems. Should I wait for Marrowind instead. Also do you have to pay to play Multiplayer online.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:48 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'm rather enjoying the game.
I'd suggest you read through the manuel to familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the game. If you've never played a game using D&D rules you can ask us questions here on character creation, what feats to pick, etc. The game is straight-forward and you shouldn't have a problem playing it. You'll want the latest patch that was released. Game versions apparently have to match in multiplay. Multiplayer is of course free.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:11 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Yah I can play Mutiplayer, no the only problem is not having a cable modem. Does it matter much for Neverwinter Nights to have really fast internet connection or does it depend more on your computer.
Also its a roleplaying game right?
Is Diablo considered a D&D.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:27 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Diablo is definately not D&D.

NWN is based on the 3rd edition D&D Pen and Paper rules. They explain this in the manual. It is a roleplaying game. Otherwise it wouldn't have a forum at RPGDot.
NWN seeks to simulate pen and paper roleplaying through multiplayer and use of the DM client.
Multiplayer performance will depend on your system and internet connection. It will also depend on the host server. For instance, I have a cable connection and my system was rather slow so I experienced lag in multiplayer. I've since upgraded my system and have yet to test it. I hope it performs better now since I'll be co-DMing a group.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:38 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

When someone lags does it affect everyone else in the game like the RTS games do or is it like Diablo where it only affects you. If its the first case I probably won't be able to play with you guys.

I probably won't have much trouble playing the game. I usually understand games really quickly.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:54 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I assume it only affects you. When I experienced lag I was the only one affected. However, if the host server lags, then everyone lags.
Badger uses a dial-up connection and he said it worked well for him. So don't give up until you've tested it.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:14 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Of course I'll try it but there are other hurdles to pass to like time. The holidays end on Monday so that means I will only be able to play on weekends. Does being a different level really affect you or can everyone just play together no matter what the level. Also is there closed and open multiplayer like in Diablo. Can you transfer your character from single player to multiplayer. I just don't want to go really far in single player and then give up my character to play multiplayer.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:32 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A lot of this is explained in the manual. Basically there are two types of multiplayer character types that can be used. These are local characters and server characters. Local characters are saved on your machine. Server characters are saved on the host machine (the server). You can save your single-player game character as a local character but you must find a server that will allow local characters to join. Some servers will require having server characters to avoid cheaters. With the Nonflamers' Guild group we'll be using local characters. We trust each other.
Having different level characters shouldn't pose much of a problem. The DM can adjust the difficulty to match the players' levels.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:46 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Ok, I get it, just like Diablo. Hopefully they can control the cheats though.
Thanks for all your help Val, I guess all that is left is to play it. I have it right in front of me but can't open it. That nine bucks better be worth it.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:52 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName
Yah I can play Mutiplayer, no the only problem is not having a cable modem. Does it matter much for Neverwinter Nights to have really fast internet connection or does it depend more on your computer.
Also its a roleplaying game right?
Is Diablo considered a D&D.

Well, I use a dial-up connection and have yet to see bad lag. In fact, it's rather fast with 10+ people. So I think it's more CPU or host dependent.

By the way, Diablo is in no way, shape, or form similiar to the greatness of NWN or any other D&D based game. I don't think you'll be let down by NWN, but the rules may be a little overwhelming at first.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:42 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Re: I Just Got NeverWinter Nights

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName
After waiting for a few months for Morrowind to come out on Xbox it still hasn't. I was wondering in the shops feeling pretty pissed off about games not being released in Australia at the same time when, I came across Neverwinter Nights. I was so surprised, how long has this game been out in America? I quickly bought it and came home but before I started playing I saw it advertised at another store for $9 less. Oh, damn. I'm going to return it tommorow and buy it at the other place but that means I can't play it today.
Is there anything I need to know about this game, is it good, does it have any major problems. Should I wait for Marrowind instead. Also do you have to pay to play Multiplayer online.

I think the game is great, and i have not even found a singel bug, i belive. Its running smooth on my system too, whice Morrowind is not. If you are a true RPG fan, get both games.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:54 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

Ok, I have playing for about 4 hours toady. I get what you mean about being overwhelmed. There are so many skills and abilities your character can have. Its going to take a while for me to create the perfect one, that is if there is such a thing. I made a Fighter Dwarf. I don't know where to put all the skills and stuff so I've just done what they recomended. I'm up to the prison right now trying to find some head goaler or something.
There are so many places to go and so many people to talk too this can get a little bit annoying at times because being the sort of player I am, I have to talk to them all.

I'm enjoying the game so far but it would be a lot better if I had a better computer. They recomended that I put the graffics down to low and the movies keep stuttering.

Oh, and can someone explain to me how the hitpoint and critical strike system works. I finally work out that D means Die after around 3 hours.
I think this is the sort of game you would enjoy more if you are laid back and not worrying about everything being perfect.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:23 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

I'm still waiting for the game. I'm getting it soon.
Then i got an other problem, that is how do i divide my time between NWN, Morrowind and RPGdot.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Sit back and enjoy the game because you can't screw up a character in it. You can only slow them down.

Hit point system is simple... you get a dice of hit points based on class every level. For barbarians it's d12. For fighters, paladins, rangers it's d10. For Clerics, druids, monks it's d8. For rogues and bards it's d6. For mages and sorcerers its d4.

To increase survival, they set it so for your first three levels you get full hit points. After that I think it's 70% for a few levels, before tapering off to 'average' 50%. This isn't bad.

Critical hits are FUN in 3e.

You take a look at the critical range on the weapon. That's what you need to roll on the d20 in order to threaten for a critical hit. If you roll that number you get a second roll. if the second roll HITs (doesn't need to get a 19 or 20 or whatever the second time) you have a critical hit.

Some weapons do less damage, but critical more (scimitar does a d6 but criticals like mad... 18,19,20). Some feats increase this range (improved critical is brutal... turning a longsword into a killing machine (17,18,19,20) or the scimitar, which goes to (15,16,17,18,19,20).

Theres no real trick to it.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:41 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by XeroX
I'm still waiting for the game. I'm getting it soon.
Then i got an other problem, that is how do i divide my time between NWN, Morrowind and RPGdot.

You're not alone XeroX! I'm still trying to manage my time between work, my girlfriend, paying bills, real life, Morrowind, Gothic, Fallout 1 and 2, NWN, and RPGDot/internet. My CRPG playing gets the short-end of the stick in that list though. I keep buying games knowing I don't have time to finish them. I think I need that watch that stops time from that one movie released a while back. ::sets off in search of the sacred watch::

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next