Usergroups
GOTHIC vs. ULTIMA 9
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dog Of War
Village Leader
Village Leader

So I got this game today , I download the 1.18 patch and game is playable in DIRECT 3D on MSI K7 TURBO 2 , 512 RAM , GF2 GTS PRO 64 mb DDR &
ATHLON XP 1500 at acceptable frame rates (40+fps) only in 800x600 with all details at max , and 3d-sound .??
I must say I like it very much! World is must larger then Gothic ,and everything looks pretty nice...so I tried everey single RPG on the market (SUMMONER , EVIL ISLAND , REVENANT , BG 1 & 2 , PLANESCAPE TOURNAMENT
ETC...) and only ULTIMA 9 match GOTHIC in gameplay! Only one thing sucks , game is from 1999 and you must have high-end machine
to play it. I mean , I can play MEDAL OF HONOR in 1024x768 in 32 bit color with no problem , but ULTIMA 9 doesnt run well at resolution higher then 800x600.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:08 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ultima IX had many problems and severly dissapointed its fan base.

The engine is far worse than Gothics, and they cut out NPC schedules (Gothic has 'em) to include butterflies. They also cut out a party (which Gothic handled pretty well when you team up with individuals).

The engine is pretty horrible. I loaded it up on my Athlon 900, with a Geforce 3 and 1 GB of RAM, and the damn game still skipped and shuddered.

Ah well. It was aiming to be way ahead of its time.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:54 pm

How is combat in Ultima 9? It's point and click right? Are the enemies interesting?
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:49 pm

PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

The combat in U9 was on par with the combat in Gothic, only the moves were slower, and the enemies weaker and dimmer.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:53 pm

does anyone have any save games from ultima 9 they can give me? I accidentally erased mine and now I suffer in great anguish. For I was at the end of the game!!!
my e-mail is Torra.cat@gte.net

I liked Ultima 9 very much. it was sluggish. but I just endured it. Actually, I was looking for a game comarable with it when I found Gothic. I was not disappointed. But it seemed to have more bugs in it than Ultima 9 did.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:20 pm

Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

I say only 1 thing Gothic is the best game i ever seen i played a lot other games and nothing is better than gothic. i played that ultima too but i played it like 1 day and then i saw that this game sux and it will sux.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:30 pm

As a longtime, hardcore Ultima fan I can safely say that Ultima 9 sucked @rse. Combat was a joke: a click fest where the other moves were quite pointless. Shields did absolutely nothing other than provide more armour and weapons were horribly unbalanced (my Lightning Sword killed a dragon in two hits).

Worse than the stability problems, high requirements, and barely passable gameplay was the plot. Most anyone who played and enjoyed previous Ultimas' plots was sorely disappointed. Origin made -no- attempt to link Ultima 9 with any of the other games, despite it being the conclusion to a trilogy. Inconsistancies permeated every character and important plot item. Dialogue was so horrible in places that I just clicked my way through in order to avoid having to listen to it.

Perhaps equal to the disappointment that the plot was, is the broken promises. NPC shedules and interaction with the world are primary among these. Gothic has -both-!

Ultima 9 had potential. I could live with the gameplay and stability problems if not for the plot. That alone was what disappointed most Ultima fans.

-Melee
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:56 am

BTW, there's an unofficial, unsupported game patch (1.19) plus a bunch of fan patches as the following link:

http://www.fansforultima.com/

There's also some information on the various Ultima remakes being worked on.

-Melee
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:58 am

Drakhan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey all, I have a question about the unofficial 1.19f patch. Has it caused any problems for anyone who has used it?

I am oneof those strange poeple who really enjoyed this game despite all fo its performance issues and bugs, and the awful story. I have beaten it three times already, (don't ask why, I just have) but it seems every time I go through it I find something I missed, and I STILL enjoy playing it. so I just want to know if it is worth applying the unofficial patch, does it actually improve frame rates???

Thanks
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:46 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Yep, Gothic is what U9 should have been 3 yrs before it. Sad ending to a great series

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-22 07:28 ]
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:27 pm

I have P4 1900, GeForce3 Ti, 256 RIMM and U9 is playable in 1280X1024 with max details.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:34 pm

Sarlaxle
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*screams*
God Damn it i love that game.... but i didnt even get halfway through before a game stoping bug stoped me forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its when you need to read the book of justice or... was it wisdom... in Yew... (after going to court) and talking to gargoyle dude... Well the book isnt in the library but theres a book outside stuck in the ground which i believe is the book... but i cant read it...
SOOOOO ANNOOOOOOYIN
if anyone knows of a patch to fix it lemme know..... (i got the new cd from origin.. the one updated in feb 2000 i think)
Post Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:44 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Ultima 3 was my first CRPG on my Atari 800, thanks to that game CRPG's are all I play anymore, but MAN did they screw up that series.

I recommend downloading a program called 'Exult' so you can play the Ultima 7 series of games on today's machines, it works pretty well if you want a taste of the old Ultima games.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

But let me tell you, I just started Wizardry 8 and I have to say this game is impressive, but its a pretty hardcore CRPG, not for the faint of heart. But it reminds me of Ultima 3 a lot.
Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:18 am
Drakhan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

With that book of justice situation, you can try putting the misplaces book that is on the table back in its place on the shelf, that is what activates the book of justice. Maybe that is your porblem, at least I hope so, and I hope this info helps.

Good Luck
Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:26 am

I'd have to say Ultima 9 ! though as far as story..etc..it was disappointing (original plot was destroyed since I love all the Ultimas including Worlds of Ultima 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 even Ultima 8, but in Ultima 9 its actually interactive you can pick up almost anything and go anywhere it rules!! so fun, cant wait until I get my Geforce 4 ti4600 and Athlon XP 2000 a month from now and UTLIMA 9 WILL be even better !
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:10 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next