Total Votes : 24

Author Thread
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Child-of-Thunder
Just to throw a stick in the mix...

Anyone ever heard of Brunhilde? or the Valkyries?

Im sure they are from German folklore, but could be wrong :O)

The real Brunhilde did a bunch of political maneuvering, and ruled for a time as a regent. She was not a warrior of any stripe, if that's what you were implying. There was also a Brunhilde in Norse mythology who was a warrior woman, but she was purely fictional.

Valkyries are Norse mythology, and purely ficitonal.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:41 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
Makes you wonder about what all the men in old camp.new camp,swamp camp do to get laid

They all go and visit Molerats late at night after all the campfires have been put out, all the drinks have been drunk and all the instruments have been laid down (pardon the pun)
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:43 pm
Child-of-Thunder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Velnias
... There was also a Brunhilde in Norse mythology who was a warrior woman, but she was purely fictional.

Valkyries are Norse mythology, and purely ficitonal.

Am I to take it that you see Gothic as non-fiction?
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:27 am
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Am I to take it that you see Gothic as non-fiction?

Heh. No.

We were discussing the impact real world medieval culture had on Gothic, however, and so I had assumed we were keeping to non-fictional points. My bad.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:26 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Back tot the topic

Well the topic is, that Gothic is sexist, no woman , or if then they are hookers.

And I say thank god for that. It simply wouldnīt make sense otherwise.

Lets simply have a look. This is a mens prison. In real life mens prisons of course are filled with woman

Then there is no law in the prison, the king needs ore, the men need a good f**** and food so basically what do they order, I think everybody can imagine. The inmates arenīt the usual, I want a wife and family guys, they are more on the rough side, not really thinking twice about killing their neigbours for another load of ore.

To the last this is a medieval fantasy world crafted upon european medieval times (you can see that in lots of things). So where do woman fit into that? Not too well, I have to say. Woman in medieval times didnīt have to many rights, richer daughters were basically sold for land and gold, and poorer ones, well they had more freedom but still the man officially was the head of the family. It really depended on the family how woman were treated. Also we had some archaic laws, like the lord of a farmer originally had the right for the first night (aka the lord was allowed to sleep with the bride in the wedding night before the husband). Also woman had to be virgins at the time of their first marriage. The was a custom to hang out the blood stained linen to show everybody that the wedding night happened. I guess such things draw a good picture about woman in early-mid medieval european society and gothic at least in part one seems to follow that route quite realistically within the boundaries of a rough mens prison setting.

The funny thing is early christianity brought quite some freedom to woman, but it seemed to reverte again in later centuries after the fall of western rome.
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:43 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

quote:
Originally posted by Xelis
Yes.
First impressions tend to get the better of us dont they?

Yep man unfortunately. I just ask Why judge without knowing the person???
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:16 am
Child-of-Thunder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Velnias
...We were discussing the impact real world medieval culture had on Gothic, however, and so I had assumed we were keeping to non-fictional points. My bad.

Ahhh... I had assumed the conversation was going round to whether women could hold weapons... in any scenario, be it rl or historically through literature.

You were absolutely correct about the women I meant, (I knew they were German or Norse or something... I think the main reason I thought they were German was because of Wagner, but thats another story for another day )

If we are talking purely historically then how do we explain Joan of Arc, she did some pretty hefty stuff by all accounts. Then there are the Amazonians. These would be real life examples

But would these be medieval examples??? from the movie Joan of Arc wore armor , but I have no idea what kind of time period is classed as medieval (not a history buff Im afraid )
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:35 am
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
If we are talking purely historically then how do we explain Joan of Arc, she did some pretty hefty stuff by all accounts. Then there are the Amazonians. These would be real life examples

But would these be medieval examples??? from the movie Joan of Arc wore armor , but I have no idea what kind of time period is classed as medieval (not a history buff Im afraid )

Just to get this out of the way: there's still no proof that Amazonians ever actually existed. Some people believe stories from other cultures that talk about a race of warrior women, and some think they're just archaic fiction. Who knows?

Regarding Joan of Arc, she lived in the early 1400s. The 1400-1500s were a transitional period from the Dark Ages (medieval times) to the Renaissance. A lot of crazy things happened in Europe in that time frame; it was a pivotal period that directed us towards a new age.
At any rate, Joan was quite an exception, and a source of tremendous controversy. The real reason she gained as much popularity as she did was due to religious fervor, and her status as an Earthly icon of God. Her actions ultimately delivered her to an early grave (burned at the stake, actually) at the age of 14 or 15.
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:27 pm
Child-of-Thunder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I bow down in the presence of such superior knowledge

Fun bantering with you, but I think we got off topic somewhere

My view... I follow the people who think that as a prison colony it would be fairly heavily orientated towards men in the first place and secondly if some of the men were killers and such it stands to reason that any women placed in there would eventually end up being killed by the rough antics (ahem) of the men or by getting struck incidentally by the men competing for their piece of the action.

Do I think Gothic is sexist? depends on the context of the question.. is it aimed towards female gamers? I dont think as much as at a male audience and lets face it, there are alot more men playing computer games and alot more women out and about enjoying rl. Do I think the story is sexist? no and I think all these comments (and the history ) bare this out.
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:59 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

To sum it all up, no gothic is not sexist, and if you still feel it is, then remember, its a bloody game!
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:26 am
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
lol you take the internet a little to serious... go outside?
AHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! , lol, I was gonna say this to Suicidal too, but I didn't want to offend his Internet Superiorness, he he he... Seriously man, go outside, no offense
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:39 pm
Sir-Gordus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Barrier is also a prison for mans only.Clearly it normally no women gives there.
The king needs the Ore , so he gives gomez all what he (gomez) want, women too.And that Gomez let the girls work for him is nevertheless conceivable.

(Sorry,my English is not so good yet)

visit www.adelpha.de the world of Outcast!
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:20 pm
Bau
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The women in the game you would notice if you talk to one of the guards on the top of the gate were the goods are brought are not angels.The "sweet" girls are nothing but whores and criminals.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:56 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

*pinnen peeks in, but decides to stay out of a converstaion that is mainly at such a low level that trying to disuss it would be equal of degrading any kind of intelligence to a level that could easily be matched and conquered by a regular ant. With exceptions, of course. The historylesson, to mention one.*

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:27 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

@Pinnen Yeah I dropped out of the thread when I realized how few people seemed to be willing to speak against the women being whores in real life comment.
Which is of course a good thing because I take the internet too seriously, especially this site. You know me Pinnen, I would never used this site for joking around or participating in nonsensical conversations. After all the sandy beach resort was the acme of intelligent conversation.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next