Fallout: BoS - Interview @ Gamebanshee
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fallout: BoS - Interview @ Gamebanshee

Gamebanshee has <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/falloutbos1.php" target="_blank">interviewed</a> Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel designer, Dan Kingdon to accompnay their preview yesterday:<blockquote><em>GB: Many of us Fallout fans loved the cartoon character Black Isle used to complement the traits, perks, and other statistics in the original Fallout games. Can we expect to see any new sketches of this little guy throughout Fallout: BoS? <br> <br>Dan: Yes indeed, that little rascal is back once again, most notably in the player's stats screen, ably demonstrating all of the skills that you can acquire throughout the game. However, keep your eyes peeled whilst exploring the game world and you'll also catch sight of him in some new, uh... dimensions.</em></blockquote>Right.
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:31 am

Jesus christ those people do not have any shame ?
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:33 am

There is an extremely intresting thread here about the whole situation.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3767
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:44 am

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmmm. I think that thread is a reminder of why I hang around here. I think I speak for every intelligent and moderate person in the world when I say that while we all cherish the great old games of yore, and we are very sorry to see them go, and we are very sorry to see the consoles take over, and we are very sorry to see CGI more important than story and graphics over replayability, and yada yada yada, in short while we feel the pain of everyone who wishes we lived in an alternate reality world where video games could not be purchased by anyone with an I.Q. of less than 120 and a documented 5 years of experience playing the classics of whichever respective genre, while all this may be true, we in no way apologize for trying to enjoy whatever games we are presented. Aside from actually founding a development company, there really isn't a d@#% other thing any one of us can do about it. There is not going to be a popular uprising to protest the death or at best transformation of the Fallout series. Game site and game magazine editors can write that it was the best series of all time until they're blue in the face, it's not going to make people stop playing CounterStrike, Diablo, Dark Alliance, Final Fantasy, and what have you. Things have changed. We all have to make due with this particular reality, and those of us who have accepted this fact are not akin to rationalizing Nazi collaborators b/c there REALLY IS nothing we can do. Lay off us already, unless you have some genius plan that'll actually help the situation. I'd love to hear it.

*HINT* I'm no market research expert, but not buying FO:BOS is probably not going to do the job.
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:11 am
chrisbeddeos

Excuse me yeesh let me ask you a question.Do straight lies in interview bother you ?

Take a look at this please.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3785

quote:
Quote:
GB: Were any members of the Black Isle team involved with Fallout: BoS, perhaps to help flesh out the storyline and keep it in line with the previous titles? Has the departure of the BIS personnel detracted from the game's development in any way?

Dan: Luckily for us, the BIS guys were very interested in what we were doing with F:BOS, and from the very beginning we had a lot of contact with them regarding storyline, setting and characters. They also provided us with a mountain of information to help out with all the tiny details that litter such a landscape, from timelines to bibles.

The actual design elements were wrapped up quite a while back, with the in-between time left to actually implementing them, and we finished production of the game a little before Christmas and the recent events in BIS.

quote:
I call bullshit. I don't recall anyone in BIS who spoke with the FBOS design team and them actually taking our input. Again, I call bullshit. Personally, I never even met this "designer," and I'm uncertain if anyone from the Van Buren team who ever said more than 2 words to him. Maybe it was another BIS team he was referring to... There was little to no interraction between the FOBOS team and the Van Buren team. Yeah, maybe the FOBOS team glanced over the original Fallouts and the Fallout bible, but I distinctly remember Chuck (another one I never met or recall ever seeing) stating that the FOBOS universe is intentionally different than the PC universe (paraphrased, of course).

I just want to make it perfectly clear we of the Van Buren team had nothing to do with FOBOS - period. I can't speak for the rest of the (former) Van Buren team, but I sure as hell don't want to be associated with FOBOS - it's not my cup of rotgut.

Puuk is a Former Fallout3 developer for your info yeesh
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:49 am

Strangelet v3.5

That doesn't matter. Everyone knows that Interplay's FOBOS looks good and will no doubt sell some copies, even if they might not sell too well due to lack of advertising (as I understand it Interplay is having financial difficulties) . So if you can't deal with that, tough. I know I'm buying a copy.

Hopefully this will allow Interplay to live on and make more games. Herve wouldn't be the CEO of a multinational corporation if he didn't know what he was doing, I can tell you that.
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:00 am

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Strangelet v3.5
That doesn't matter. Everyone knows that Interplay's FOBOS looks good and will no doubt sell some copies, even if they might not sell too well due to lack of advertising (as I understand it Interplay is having financial difficulties) . So if you can't deal with that, tough. I know I'm buying a copy.

Sure, if you like buying half a game for full price, it looks good. That's exactly what you're getting with this game, the first half of it for $50. The second half will be released later this year as the sequel. Well, assuming Interplay lasts that long and that's a pretty big assumption considering shortly after this game comes out, they've got to pay a few million to settle up a few law suits. Pretty rough for a company that ended Q3 2003 with a whopping $7,000 in the bank.

quote:
Hopefully this will allow Interplay to live on and make more games. Herve wouldn't be the CEO of a multinational corporation if he didn't know what he was doing, I can tell you that.

You're joking right? Taking a company worth $200M in 2000 and turning it in to a company worth less than $4M three years later isn't knowing what you're doing. It's fucking up big time.
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:58 pm